Nitrogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why pay for something that you can get 80% of for free?
In other words it is a gimmick to get your money.

skirk55 said:
Is nitrogen instead of air better in my truck and trailer? Will I get more MPG? Better ride?
A business friend in Germany had nitrogen in his tires.  However he was well known even among the Germans for driving fast on the unlimited speed autobahns.  He would routinely hit 200 kmh with us as passengers.  Probably not required in any other country though.

Dry air is marginally better than damp air in your tires and pure nitrogen is inherently dry. Dry air reacts to temperature changes more evenly than damp air. But you can buy "dry" air too, if you are concerned.

Frankly, the whole nitrogen thing is mostly advertising hype. It makes a bit of sense for airplanes, race cars and high  performance applications, but little or none for RVs or passenger cars. Save your money to buy fuel.

Thank you everyone  for the help. I was looking to increase MPG and get more life from my tires. Not one person was for it.

Nitrogen's biggest plus is that the pressure rise from heat is more predictable.  That is why race cars use it.  The average car or RV will never see the advantage.  Air is 79 percent nitrogen anyway.

The other thing to consider is the availability of nitrogen. Do you feel confident that nitrogen will be available every time you need to add some? That's one reason I decided against buying my tires at Costco where using nitrogen is a condition of warranty.

Nitrogen's biggest plus is that the pressure rise from heat is more predictable.

And that attribute comes more from its dryness than from the nitrogen itself. Dry air is also quite uniform in its heat expansion. It the water content that messes up the effect of the Gas Laws.

I have never seen a place to fill up tires with nitrogen. I can not get near an air pump for my trailer I had to purchase one.

So yesterday I went back to Belle Tire to get my tires rotated, they put nitrogen in tires when you buy them there. While I was waiting I noticed a sign on the wall telling how much money you'd save with nitrogen. It says if you drive 20K miles a year you'll save $147 in fuel cost. They are a reputable tire dealer so it must be the truth.

They wouldn't stretch the truth would they. ;) ;)

http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

It's a driving safety issue. 24000# motorhome 65 miles per hour 110 degree road temp and MH swaying in the crosswind..toad fighting the MH..I'll go for as much tire safety factor as I can.

I have been using Nitrogen for 8 years..trailers, fifth wheel, and now 5 years in Class A. I service/check my tires twice a year..maybe add 2-3#/tire.

It appears I'm the only dummy using it.. :)

That looks good but when the tires need filled then what. In a snow I air my tires sown 10  lbs each. Much better traction. What about refilling the tires?

skirk55 said:
That looks good but when the tires need filled then what. In a snow I air my tires sown 10  lbs each. Much better traction. What about refilling the tires?

Point is...N increases the intervals between where inflation service is needed...If you are in a situation where you believe you need to increase tire pressure..,,put standard service station air in the tire..no problem..

I strongly disagree with letting air out of tires for better traction in snow..tire casing really deteriorates with increased flexing..also creates potential to lose more pressure at rim seal during increased-extreme flex on snow-ice clump debris..

tvman44 said:
It is a money making gimmick.

Yes, after the retailer makes the 4-5 grand investment..and equipment pays for itself..retailer will make money on N service.

On the other hand, I'm the consumer- user and I'm confident I have a safer tire configuration on the road. Test data supports more of tire safety issue to me..

Retailer wins...consumer wins.. :)

Gary RV Roamer said:
Frankly, the whole nitrogen thing is mostly advertising hype. It makes a bit of sense for airplanes, race cars and high  performance applications, but little or none for RVs or passenger cars. Save your money to buy fuel.

I do not draw a line on tire safety between airplanes, race cars, high performance applications..a tire blowout due to improper -low pressure is deadly in all of the above and can be in my MH and car as well :eek:

Is there consumer fraud litigation out there concerning servicing consumer tires with N? ???

Back
Top Bottom