XM and Sirius - one company unless you want to add a receiver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
We just bought a 2006 Jeep Rubicon and the factory radio was equipped with Sirius.  Since I have an XM account, I thought it would be easy to add that Sirius receiver.  Nope!  When I finally got to talk to an XM representative, she explained I could not add a Sirius receiver to my XM account.  "The programming is different, the databases are different, bla, bla, bla, etc, etc."

They have melded (mutated IMHO) some programming, but that's it.  Apparently it is not like the typical bank merger when after a period of time, the IT shops merge account data, bookkeeping, AP, AR, etc. and you can use any branch office of the merged banks to conduct business.

I briefly thought about adding a Sirius subscription, but that does not make the best $ense.  I'll buy an aftermarket radio with an iPod/iPhone and aux input for $150 and move my XM receiver around.

I know you can add the "best" channels from the other service, to you service, for just a couple of bucks per month.  I have XM and get reminders weekly about adding Howard Stern and other important things I am missing.  It's usually about $2-$3 per month.  Never offered me anything that was even worth that so I am still getting the announcements.  I assume from what you are saying, that I am considered an XM customer and if I wanted to buy another radio, it would have to be registered as XM and only get my package of 200 channels.  Of which I listen to about half a dozen.

Hardware is unique to XM and Sirius, which is a pain.  The stations cross over from one to the other based on what package you have.

I was amazed at how Sirius collects data.  I sold our toad with a Sirius receiver turned on until 2012.  It was a secondary account.  I told the new buyer that when the service ran out he would have to buy.  A couple of days after he registered the car in his name, Sirius turned off the service.  I logged onto Sirius.com and found that they had given me a credit for the balance of the account.  They must have feeds from all of the DMVs to pull this off.  I guess that in this case they gave me back the $7.00 a month for the account in hope that the new buyer will pay the $13.00 per month fee.  Wow talk about big brother.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom