Fulltiming ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skirk55

I read just sold our house and we did it but what about people that have been fulltiming for 4 or 5 years? Is there anyone out there  that has been full time for more than one or two years?

We have been on the road full time since May 1997.  Is that long enough?

My wife and I have 5 years to go and this house is enough. Up keep every year and taxes! Plus we live in 4 rooms. There are room we may not go in to see for weeks. The kids are gone and I still cut the grass.
I just was thinking how long can people full time?

We always asked that question when we went full time three months ago...I was a bit surprised at the number of people who were double digits full timing...the number is quite extensive, based on my small sample.

My parents were full-timers for 18 years then switched to mostly-timers. then to part-timers.

Wendy

Fulltime since February 1997.  We hope to be fulltiming for at least 10 more years.

Jeannine

Fulltiming for 12 years and have put 152,000+ miles on our CC Allure.

Bill Dane

How long do you WANT to full time.  It's all up to you and your spouse.  We did it for a little over ten years, but have met couples who were on the road more than 25 years.  As long as you are both enjoying it, you both have your health, there's no limit as to how long is long enough.  That's an entirely personal choice. 

Daisy

We will fulltime it as our health holds out. After we are too old to pull a 5th wheel we will keep two on site and travel from one to the other. We do not want a house again. The cost of taxes and maintenance is about $15,000 per year. It's not just that we have found a lifestyle that we both like very much and it is in our blood.
My daughter told me they are going to purchase a pop up camper. Look what we have done.

skirk55 said:
My daughter told me they are going to purchase a pop up camper. Look what we have done.

We were poisoned by a Lifetime Escapee and an RV Forum member in just one night! Started fulltiming a month later (that was last July) and we do not see the end in sight....it's is pretty contagious.

We, too, were flabbergasted by the number of people who were out here for years...it's all very amazing and wonderful to us.

Kim & Christi

Our situation...  we were married over 38 years ago, and first major item we bought was a camper.  Lived in it for a 3 week trip from UT to RI, used it for a number of years but when our daughter came along we wanted a travel trailer, so we sold our tent trailer to my parents.  That started them.  Fast forward 20++++ years and they bought a C to travel in, then an A and full time.  Fast forward again, we have been through all kinds of rigs andnow fulltime in a 35' A.  Been in it almost 2 years now, minus a stint last winter in our park mode, but that is now sold and we are houseless. 

My Dad enjoys telling people that they "ruined" us. They never drove over 200 miles in a day and it was usually closer to 100. They rarely left their campground before 10 a.m., they stopped for lunch at noon and were off the road in a campsite by 2:30 p.m. Today we drove 35 miles and that was far enough. I like to think of it as them doing a good job "training" us rather "ruining" us.

Wendy
San Clemente State Beach

We started this adventure in March of 1997.  Never regretted the decision to hit the road and have no intentions of stopping till health or age prevents us from continuing.

After staying in lots of RV parks, I cannot beleive how many people are living in RV's full times.  Many are very tiny, but I see old and young living in them.  You wonder if its a choice or a necessity.

skirk55 said:
I read just sold our house and we did it but what about people that have been fulltiming for 4 or 5 years? Is there anyone out there  that has been full time for more than one or two years?

Me? Since May 2006, with a tent,  in a car & the tent since Dec 2006. So that's 5 years fulltiming, but not yet in an RV. Upgrading to a 31' Class A this fall.

skirk55 said:
I just was thinking how long can people full time?

I have no plans to stop. I'm 36 years old, and I can see myself doing this for another 50, 60, 70 years...basically the rest of my life. This lifestyle suits me.

skirk55 said:
We will fulltime it as our health holds out. After we are too old to pull a 5th wheel we will keep two on site and travel from one to the other. We do not want a house again. 

This is my plan as well. As long as I've got my health I can drive and when I can drive no more, I can park it and keep right on living in it. This is what I intend to do.

skirk55 said:
It's not just that we have found a lifestyle that we both like very much and it is in our blood.

Fulltiming is in my blood. I am by race a Scottish Traveller aka a genuine pure blooded Gypsy. We can trace our geneology back to the 1400's and no one in our family tree ever lived in a house very long. A few even spent their lives living on merchant ships t sea rather than live in a house!

I grew up in a "band of gypsies" living in cars, jeeps, trucks, trailers, motorhomes, anything they could find that had wheels on it, really. There were 260+ aunts, uncles, and cousins. Big group. My family was 2 adults, 1 kid (me), 8 dogs, and 4 cats living in a 1964 Dodge 330 (which I still own to this day.) I was about 9 years old when my family settled down on a farm. We didn't settle down much though, we were never home. Every week we'd pack in the car and off we'd go, one road trip after another for some 20 years! LOL! We just couldn't sit still!

I don't know, I don't think I'd even know what to do with myself if I ever tried settling down in a house full time. I mean, I lived in a house, yeah, but I was never actually in the house, because we were always gone on long road trips and sleeping in the car. I am much happier in a car, than I am in a house.

skirk55 said:
My daughter told me they are going to purchase a pop up camper.

There is a couple on YouTube that they and their dog, live full time in a pop-up towed by a jeep. And I once saw a guy who lived full time in a tiny "tent-trailer" towed by a motorcycle! Too small for me, but I guess you can live in anything you want to as long as you are happy with it.

We spend our winters volunteering in FL.  We have worked with two women who full-timed with their husbands for many years and eventually lost them.  They settled back into a home (one with her daughter) and after about two years, they bought another motor home and went back on the road, full-timing, by themselves.  That told me some things about the lure of the life and how it must get in your blood.  They both had family that were mortified, and worried, but were living their life and were much happier than they had been for the previous two years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom