Calling all book worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
If you're a book worm, you'll love visiting The Book Loft of German Village in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Wandering around the labyrinth of 32 rooms is an experience in itself. I spent only a few hours there, but could easily have spent a  full day. Do you know of any fascinating book stores?

Powells in downtown Portland OR is several floors of new and used books in an interesting arrangement of new and used items intermingled ion the same shelf.

OK, guffaw and make fun, but my favorite bookstore is Amazon.com. 

I read and listen to mysteries exclusively.  The local libraries are doing a decent enough job stocking books on CD.  I rip and code them to MP3 and keep about 30 at a time on my iPod.  The rest are on a backup hard drive.  I have a couple hundred.

--pat

Tom said:
If you're a book worm, you'll love visiting The Book Loft of German Village in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Wandering around the labyrinth of 32 rooms is an experience in itself. I spnet only a few hours there, but could easily have spent a? full day. do you know of any fascinating book stores?

Bookmans? They have three stores in Tucson, one store in Mesa, one store in Phoenix and one in Flagstaff. They carry used books and will buy books and other entertainment items if they think they can resell them.

Aha, I see that the thread is bookWORMS--for some reason I had thought the thread was bookSTORES :-[

That being the case, let me mention " bookcrossings" at www.bookcrossings.com.

My wife and I are both avid readers, and she is a right maven of this web site.  Our daugher-in-law is also big into this movement, as you'll see fromn the attached PDF file (a clipping from a Calgary, Alberta, newspaper).

Ciao,

Doug

Attachments

• bookcrossings.pdf
    64.8 KB · Views: 22
I won't guffaw Pat because I too buy a lot from amazon.com, largely because of the convenience. I rarely visit traditional book stiores, but The Book Loft that I mentioned at the beginning of this topic was a really fascinating place to visit.

eBay can also be a good book source. Dealers sell there, but so do avid readers who simply want to sell the ones they've read so they can buy more.  They may sell in lots by author, e.g. "lot of 4 books by David Drake".  For used books the price [with shipping]  often works out about the same as a used book store. New books are typically steeply discounted from the cover price, which may be a bargain if there is no discount book store near you.

Sharon and I are avid readers also. One of the most unique book stores I have ever visited is outside of Benson, Az. The book store is located in a old house north of I-10 (exit 304 I believe) about 4 to 5 miles. You will have to turn right on a narrow lane that will take you back to the house ( there is not a sign). The lane is located in between  two mailboxes. Proceed to the Green metal gate, if the gate is closed make sure you close it again after you enter(don't want the livestock to get out). Continue to the house and ring the large bell for service.
The store was started by a lady who was taking a check to town to pay bills or a mortage, got to town and decided to buy books instead. This lady is a true book worm. Wonder what her husband said?

Melvin

There are numerous used book stores on US 11 in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. There are several
in Roanoak and Salem that we have been to in years past. The state welcome centers have a flyer for
some of them, or used to. They refer to US 11 as "the meca of used book stores."

Dave in NC

Back
Top Bottom