Squeal from front wheel solved (I think)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
Back on Sept 10th I posted a thread about an annoying squeal that I was pretty sure was coming from my left front wheel. I spent 2 days at a Freightliner dealer (they heard it too) checking brake pads, rotors, and bearings.  Extended conversations with Bendix revealed no clues.  Finally the pads were sanded along with light sanding on the rotor faces to remove any rust and the whole thing was put back together.  Ten miles down the road the squeal was back, loud as ever.

As a last resort before I get to Gaffney Freightliner next week, I stopped at Home Depot and picked up 3 rolls of 3/4" X 5/8" foam insulating tape with one sticky side. I removed the wheel liners and cleaned the perimeter of the wheel with acetone. I applied the foam tape to the outside edge of the wheel where the wheel liner sits. I reinstalled the wheel liners and waited until I moved to the next camp site a few days later.

The squeak from the front left wheel was GONE, as well as the metal on metal shuffle sound from the rear wheel. The rear sound was like a failing drive shaft or axle.  All that aggravation (2 months worth) and 2 days at a repair shop, all for naught.  Wheel liners are not real common yet, but they will be on new units as manufactures find ways to reduce their costs.  So far they do not look bad and shine up pretty decently. But if you don't keep the foam tape in there, it will drive you NUTS.  ::)

Hopefully I will save someone the trouble down the road. :eek: 

Yeah. It's what big trucks will have for a wheel cover instead of an all aluminum wheel like an Alcoa.  They are polished metal "liners" that fit into the shape of the wheel and usually are held on by wheel lugs that screw on top of the lugs that hold the wheel to the axle.  I also had them on a Dodge dually that I used to own.  It's a cheap way for truck manufactures to dress up the wheel without spending a lot of $$. 

Sarge:

I had those on a 98 Ford F-53 chassis under a Pace Arrow but didn't realize Winnebago was ordering them on a diesel chassis. If they are an option it is well worth ordering the Alcoas.

Chrome wheel liners are standard on most gas chassis motorhomes and have been for many years. We've owned two coaches that had them and never a noise problem (unless a stone gets behind it).  Low end diesels use them too, to keep the entry price down.

I have them and no noise, so far anyway.  Will keep this in mind if I do.  We had something like that on the class C and they rattled, hubby fixed it with something, no sure what now.

A Winne rep I bumped into when I was at my selling dealer told me that for the 10' model year he was not able to order ANY Alcoa's on the Freightliner chassis.  I think that it was a cost cutting measure by Winne to try and recoup the bump in the chassis cost from the new emission system. We the consumer still want to keep our costs down as much as possible, but still want the bells and whistles. Meanwhile the manufacture's still want to make a profit and sell rigs.  I would have gladly paid the upcharge to the stuff I wanted on the rig.  I guess if I would have ordered a 2011, paid up front, and waited a couple of months it would have been possible.  Sigh...................

I would take a set of Dicor Stainless Wheel Covers any Day over Alcoa's or any other. They are a whole lot easier to maintain than Any Aluminum Wheel that I have seen!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom