Thoughts about antennas on 5er.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony_Alberta

I'm thinking of attaching a mobile 5/8 dual band antenna, with a ground plane kit, to a bracket off of the rear ladder.  Just low enough so the top is at about 13'.  Put an angle on the bracket so it's an additional 6" from the back of the 5er so there's enough room for the ground plane kit without scraping.  And out a foot or two so the ground plane kit won't interfer with climbinig the ladder.  Then run 3' or 5' of coax into the 5er and attach the radio to the back wall of the 5er and run the cables to the remote head, mic, speaker etc.  I'm single so what do I care if it looks a ibt ugly.  :)

Now I don't know much about scanner antennas and reception.  I mostly just use the dual sided VHF/UHF radio for the local frequencies of interest.  RCMP, etc.  But I'm thinking maybe I'll get a scanner that's a bit better to use and maybe supports APCO,etc.  So I'm thinking to myself why not just run a wire to the ladder on the rear of the 5er.    Or is that dumb?  Are there impedances that must be matched?

Tony,

On the roof of my MH I have a small, about 12" long, dual band antenna from Comet, I think, that works fine.  I have a ground plane made up of AL foil tape but I don't believe the antenna really requires one if I remember correctly.  No I don't get as good a coverage as the longer one on my car but when working through the repeaters you really don't need much antenna or power for that matter.

I looked up in my new HRO catallog and it is a Comet B-10 NMO mount.  HRO has it for $42.95 USD.  Mine is a coax mount but they are not listed anymore.  I replaced a cell phone antenna with it.

Most scanner stuff is 150 MHz and up, in fact a large percentage is in the same general areas that your two band antenna covers, so the ladder may be a bit large for this use.  But there's no matching involved for a receive antenna, almost anything will work.

The only problem is it may be a bit low for the VHF and UHF stuff, you might be better off mounting another antenna on the roof.

But it's definitely a neat idea.  Let me know how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom