2005 newmar dutchstar bad paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ontherd

i have a 2005 newmar dutchstar and am having issues with the clearcoat on the roof, its coming off so I went to the factory in June and told them about it their reply was oh for $1200.00 we can take care of that so it is a known issue with them, my response was why should I pay $1200.00 when I didnt paint the coach in the first place.
was wondering if anyone else has had any encounters ?

American Coach models have had a similar problem - and a similar response once the warranty expired.

While it is an real irritation, once the warranty has expired the manufacturer has no responsibility to repair defects. If they elect to do so, it is "good will" and not an obligation.

Nothing lasts forever,,especially paint,  clear coats on horizontal surfaces like roofs get hammered by UV rays and go south rapidly. About all you can do is wet sand it and reshoot and start the process all over again.>>>Dan

It's not difficult to wet sand the area and re-spray. You can get cans of clearcoat spray at autoparts stores. If it's just the top of the front cap, as it is on most coaches, a couple cans will do it.

no its not just the front cap its around the whole top area where is starts to curve the clear coat all bubbled and newmar was aware of the problem they used sherwin williams paint and it just wasnt put on properly so my husband is wet sanding all of the area which is a big job.
ever since we bought this coach its been one headache after another have not had one trip yet that something else didnt go wrong

Vehicles are usually painted with automotive paints,, I would rather doubt that Sherwin Williams was used. Being that clear is clear is clear,you can do a section at a time and reduce the workload while using the coach.>>>Dan

sherwin williams makes automotive paint we have all the correct paint numbers from the factory
newmar no longer use them after this problem now they use i think gac or something with three letters to their name.
some coaches had to have the whole coach repainted while we were at the factory.
yes you wet sand a little than you need to wash the coach cause it runs down the side a makes a huge mess all over the windows and sides.
so i think between the paint having issues and the dealer not properly putting it on correctly yep a big problem
you cant get the clear coat off without taking some of the paint no matter how lightly you sand it

Per your post, I'm surprized that a dealer did the paint,,even many large dealers do not have the correct facility for it.>>>Dan

newmar has several metal buildings they use to of course build them and paint them too
they have been very helpfull and were glad they are still in business but this issue here is just something else.

today we found not not only is the clear coat bad its bad paint under it also.
So its allot of wet sanding and very time consuming but I know we will get it fixed in time

Back
Top Bottom