Licensing and titling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silversailor

In the process of titling and licensing our new-to-us 2007 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, we assume we have to title it as an RV; however, previous owner titled it as a Chevy extended cargo van.  We are having to get verification from Roadtrek that it was always intended to be used as an RV.  Do states' differ as to how one licenses and titles a Class B?

Silversailor (Indiana)

If it was previously titled as a van (which it is), the path of least resistance is to leave it the same. Is there some reason you want to change it?

The chassis VIN will identify it as a cutaway van chassis, so the existing title is accurate. The fact that a RV-type body was installed on it by Roadtrek is not a factor in most states.

Gary I believe it varies by state.

Silversailor I would spend some time checking with Indiana. Illinois used to charge about 50% of the charge for a similar non-RV vehicle for registering RVs. My folks purchased a class C on a van chassis several  years ago and actually drove the vehicle to the DOV to verify its status as a RV.

I also believe the insurance rates on a RV are lower.

I guess we just want to be correct.  If it were titled as a van and then insured as a van, what would happen if you had an accident and it was totalled?  Would you be re-imbursed the value of the van or the value of the RV?  The employees of the BMV (Indiana) called the state office to verify what they needed to do after they entered our data as rv and they could not continue the data entry since the previous owner (Tennessee) listed it as a extended cargo van.

Silversailor 

The insurance company wouldn't care about the DMV - if you have RV specific insurance coverage and they can see it is/was an RV, they pay to replace what you have, up to the value of the policy. Conversely, if you have van insurance and it is titled as an RV, they will still only pay what the van insurance would cover.  The same would apply to a conversion van, which would also be titled as a van but has higher priced furnishings and equipment. In any case, ask that question of your agent or other insurance company representative. Note the persons name and the date as well as what they tell you, in case there is ever a question in the future.  Theirs is the only opinion that counts.

I figured the DMV would be reluctant to change what a previous title said.  That's a no-no without a strong case that the previous one was wrong, and it is still a difficult thing to get changed.  It may be that Tennessee doesn't have a separate RV category for their titles. Or perhaps they always use the VIN-designated category, which would always be a van for a Class B. Calling it a van is not wrong, it just falls somewhat short of describing the extent of the equipment installed.

Just to let you know.  They did want the title to reflect the fact that it is essentially an RV, so it is officially titled as a Roadtrek 210. 

Silversailor

My local DMV office insisted on titling my 2000 Coachmen as a 1990 because the chassis VIN indicated a '99 model Ford E450 chassis.  The previous owner had it registered as a 2000 (same state).  Both showed it as an RV, however.  Go figure.

Hi,
Gary can verify (or correct) this, but my understanding is that the manufacturer sets the year for an RV, even if the VIN is earlier. It could get pretty expensive if your 2008 suddenly turns into a 2006.
Ernie

The year for titling purposes is the year assigned by the RV manufacturer and will appear on the Manufacturers Statement of Origin and subsequent titles.  It can be, and often is, different from (later than) the chassis year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom