99 Freightliner air brake guages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

32hotrod

Hi starting to see something developing in our new to us Holiday Rambler DP.
The brake air gauge is starting to show a change in pressure on the rear needle. It drops while we are driving not while applying the brakes going  from 110 + to 100 then goes back up, when I assume the compressor kicks  in, front gauge ( green needle remains constant). Then we go for several miles with no change and it start the cycle again. Brakes work fine and no alarms etc.  So my first thought is check for leaks at the tank and lines. Anyone had this problem ?

Your description of the way the needles are behaving is typical of our 2001 FL except that our front gauge shows front brake pressure but also includes the air bag system and any other auxiliary air system.  The reason the front system cycles is the motion of the coach uses air to compensate your ride. The rear air brakes are separated for safety reasons and usually never move the gauge unless I apply the brakes.

It is possible that your VDC (Vehicle Data Computer) has the air lines installed backwards and you are looking at the front/rear as I have them installed. You can check this by releasing the parking brake without the brake pedal depressed and seeing which gauge moves. (It should be the rear.)

If you decide to reverse the air lines on the VDC MAKE SURE you dump ALL the air in the system before unhooking them.

You likely lave an air leak in something connected to the rear air system tank. The compressor is able to keep up with it, so you don't see any malfunction, but the compressor has to cycle a lot. Not an unusual problem - we've had a couple fairly major leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom