Homemade Awning - w/o the blue tarp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StillinID

Greetings all!
We are remodleing a 1979 Prowler and while I am working on the interior walls, the wife will be sewing up a storm. One of the things under discussion is an awning. Given this TT's age we will be going inexpensive for the first time out. I wanted something that would look nice but not cost a fortune. I can handle the fabric acquisition from a local store (Sunbrella or even Cordura depending upon price/weight) but what I need help with is the other parts.

We expect to have to pull the camper side of the awning through the C-Channel during setup (requiring a small ladder/step stool). What is the most common rigid component that people use inside the fabric roll for this function? Some type of round hard rubber cylinder would be my guess. Anyone have a source for such a thing? (Also, is this  a major pain in the rear from those that have done it?)

As far as support posts and/or leading edge frame, what has worked well for others? I know I could simply go get some lightweight electrical conduit for the edge and possibly even the supports or even just buy the extendable tent poles available but I wanted to see if others had suggestions.

I am thinking that stowage would go something like, drop the poles towards the center, pull out the edge frame piece and break it down ( 6ft sections), pull the fabric out of the C-channel, fold it in half, lay the poles on it and roll it up into a 4 -5 inch dia. 6ft long bundle, place in capped pvc pipe holder, put in camper. Correct thinking?

I have access to a good variety of tools and a small shop to accomplish this btw.

Thank you for all of your help!

Most of the awnings I have seen simply use a piece of rope/twine for the "lock" much the same as adding piping to any piece of fabric you simply roll the "rope" into the edge of the material and the sew it very very close to the "cord" think of say a pair of track pants.

As for storage. your idea will work well. if you get a chance go to an RV show and look at the pop up campers. check out how they attach the awning. I have a coleman in the yard right now and it is stored on the camper. in a bag. you simply unzip the bag slowly and remove the two upright extendable poles and tent pegs as you go then roll out the awning, when you reach the end the cross piece and even the hold down ropes are attached. insert uprights hammer pegs and enjoy your beverage of choice in the nice cool shade.

I think the awning is sewn to the bag and the bag is attached to the "c" channel then a small screw on ea end to keep it from sliding off it bounces around as your going down the road but seems secure. I have never looked at how the awning connects to the bag.

On the coleman brand I think the leading edge is in a track as well. if you plan on using conduit then I would use a bunch of large aluminum rivets to hold the awning to the pipe.

good luck post pics

Thanks Gtsport.
I had not thought of just a plain rope, it being too difficult to get a good push through the channel. However, that gives me another idea!
Coated cable would do the trick nicely! Semi rigid, durable, and fairly inexpensive. Might have to check weight however. I saw a 15ft dog chain at one of the stores that would be perfect if I cannot grab the right size off a bulk spool.

Ok, now that we have a possible solution there, how about the poles or arms? Anyone got a clever idea they can share? (Again, beyond the generic extending tent pole.)

What you need for sewing into the end of the awning is a plastic material called 'welt', or sometimes 'piping', and is carried by canvas and fabric stores. It's available in different diameters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom