replace trailer tires with truck tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtexan99

Can I use LT truck tires, E rated, in place of trailer tires on my 5w?

Why or why not?

Sure, as long as they fit and their load rating is sufficient.

Why?  Price.  The market in LTs is more competitive than that of TS trailer service tires.

I just purchased a new 2011 5er, which has Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16 tires "MADE IN CHINA" on it. I will be changing them out this month to LT's. Reason most ST tires are made in China, and the QC is lacking to say the least.  You can read posts till you become crosseyed about the tread separations/blowout mainly on the 15" tires, but also on the 16".  While I could take my chances running them, I would rather change to LT's than take a chance of damaging my new rig for $700.  On my older 5er, I had a blowout, and switched to BFG LT Commercials and never had to worry again.  I also installed a TPMS system as an additional safety precaution.  Some people say/like ST tires and some people say LT's (with the exception of 1or 2) are not made for trailers, however more trailer mfg's are putting them on their units.  If you are not convinced, next time you go camping look what people have on their rigs.

For those of you that read my posts on tires here or elsewhere you must have noticed by now that I implore RV trailer owners seeking information about replacement tires to AVOID using any kind of tire that doesn?t equal or exceed the load requirements depicted on their tire placard. I also try to impress upon those seeking replacement information to not confuse durability with load capacity. When the DOT agrees with the tire manufacturers about the information they place on the sidewall and put the DOT stamp of approval on there they are certifying the information the tire manufacturer has provided them with and all the test results to support that information. So a tire with a 3000# maximum load capacity at 80 psi is just that. Try and pass a dollar bill off as a $1.25 at the local quick stop and see how that is accepted.

When it comes to tires, many of the regulations are written as recommendations with regards to the tires strength and the air pressure required to get the strength. Cold inflation pressure is very confusing to many. The DOT and tire and rubber people are not giving you options because of the ?recommendations?. They have given you the best ball park figures to work with. It?s the end users responsibility to stick with those figures or seek others that will not compromise the intent of the original figures.

READ the tire placard. REAR your owners manual. CONSULT with RV trailer manufacturer. That guy/gal at ?JDs? tire shop is most likely not  certified on the needs of your RV trailer.

FastEagle

p.s. When an owner knowingly uses replacement tires with a lower load capacity than those that came on his RV trailer he is just a guilty as the RV manufacturer that only uses minimal requirements to build their trailers. One of the largest and most published tire recalls of automotive tires in the USA was a result of a tire manufacturer supplying OE tires with those minimal requirements.

LT is a good choice for a trailer tire. Whether or not an "E" range is sufficient depends on what the axle rating is. You need a tire rated to carry the max loaded weight. so check the maximum load spec stamped on the side of the tire. It should be more than a little greater than 1/2 the axle GAWR, i..e should be easily capable of carrying its share of the weight.  If each axle is rated to carry 5000 lbs, you want a tire rated to carry about 3000 lbs on each end of that axle, to give plenty of safety margin.

Gary RV Roamer said:
LT is a good choice for a trailer tire. Whether or not an "E" range is sufficient depends on what the axle rating is. You need a tire rated to carry the max loaded weight. so check the maximum load spec stamped on the side of the tire. It should be more than a little greater than 1/2 the axle GAWR, i..e should be easily capable of carrying its share of the weight.  If each axle is rated to carry 5000 lbs, you want a tire rated to carry about 3000 lbs on each end of that axle, to give plenty of safety margin.
Gary we recently traded up our 17ft Vortex toy hauler for a 21ft K2 by Komfort and because we blew a 2 year old Chinese tire out on our Vortex just before trading I noticed our 06 K2 has 5 year old Chinese tires that should be replaced this winter. My question is with all the ranting about how poor Chinese RV tires are I noticed it is next to impossible to find 225 75 15 D rated tires that aren't Chinese so what do you recommend? FYI our toy hauler has 5k axles with 6 hole rims rated for 65psi that when loaded with our RZR has 7700lbs on the axles so we enjoy a cushion of 2300lbs  to spare. Even the Goodyear Marathons are now showing made in China. Thanks for your input and anybody else that cares to chime in, gerry

I think you need to distinguish between name brand tires made in Chinese factories vs off-brands.  The big tire companies don't want to tarnish their name with crappy tires, so they will at least stand behind them.  However, like you I have heard several complaints about the GY Marathons, both before they were made in China and after.

Find any Load Range D tire in a 15" size is difficult.  You might be able to find an LT225/75R15 in LR D or E, and you should also have room to go to a wider tire, e.g. LT235/75 if that size in more readily available.  If the budget can stand it, consider changing to 16" wheels and tires. Most trailer axles/fenders have enough room for that - just make sure there is enough distance between the axles so that the two tires don't touch each other. You would need an extra inch or so.

I found a source for Carlisle and Loadstar ST225/75R15. They also have "E". A local dealer could get you the same tire.

http://www.easternmarine.com/ST225/75R-15-RADIAL-Tire-LR-D/
http://www.easternmarine.com/CARLISLE-ST225/75R-15-RADIAL-Tire-Load-Range-D/

Maxxis Tires also makes a LT225/75R15. Ive seen some reports here of excellent results with Maxxis tires on trailers.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MA-761-Bravo-Series.aspx

cdrcos said:
Many FW's come with LT tires as OEM - all three of mine have.

A close review of the NuWa tire forums will reveal the Uniroyal tires used on the 6000# axles have had numerous side wall bubbles, tread separations and blowouts. It?s another clear indicator that the RV trailer manufacturers are just not providing enough load capacity in their tire selection no matter what design or brand they use as Original Equipment. And it fully supports using replacements with a greater load capacity.

FastEagle

Add me to the list of people who have had problems with the Chinese Good Year Marathons. Also my last 2 trailers came with Duro tires. 1 set was replaced at 1.5 years & the other at 1 year becauce of cracking. A strange thing is on one set of the 5 tires one that was not the spare was not cracked like the others. All had very close date codes, within about 2 months. Good Year has since started making there trailer tires in the USA, so that should help there.
I installed a set of Maxxis tires 2 years ago on this trailer. You don't have to be a tire engineer to tell they are better made than trhe others. They still look brand new. Discount Tire can order them if they do not have them in stock. When mine arrived at the store each tire was in an individual box. So it looks to me like they try harder.

My neighbor replaced his 5th wheel trailer tires with truck tires and 2 popped while driving down the highway.  If your trailer is only around 20 feet or less you might get away with it but bigger trailers 27 footers and such LT (light truck tires) are for trucks.  ST are for trailers.  They are only about 40 bucks more each and they last forever.  I would play it safe spend the extra money.  Definitely ask the RV store what they have to say not the tire store.

But what load range did he have?  Apparently not heavy enough for the load.  My Lt tires I put on are rated for more weight than the original ST tires.

Most very large trailers come from the factory with LT tires on them. LT's are available in more sizes and greater load ranges (weight capacity) than ST's.

Popping a tire has nothing to do with LT vs ST and everything to do with adequate weight carrying capacity (load range) and proper inflation.

ST are for trailers.  They are only about 40 bucks more each and they last forever.

No, they do not last forever.  They last about 7 years give or take a bit, regardless of the mileage on them.    A tire over 7 years is a failure waiting for a bad spot to happen in.

Almost everybody is more familiar with replacing tires on their self propelled vehicles. So when tires are needed on their RV trailer it becomes a little confusing with the options that may be presented to them.  The RV trailer may have been delivered with Special Trailer (ST) tires or Light Truck (LT) tires as original equipment (OEM).  The DOT regulations for wheels/tires on the RV trailer axles are not the same as those for self propelled vehicles. However, all three major tire designs (P ? ST ? LT) are allowed to be used on trailer axles. The load capacity on the P tire must be divided by 1.1 to find its load capacity when used on the trailer axle.
All the information you need, to make good decisions about your replacement tires can be found on the vehicle certification label/tire placard or in your owner?s manual. Every item of information about your current tires can be found right on the side of the tire.

All ST tires are stronger than LT tires of equal dimensions and load ranges.  Here is an example; The LT235/85R16E will have a maximum load capacity of 3042# at 80 psi. The ST235/85R16E will have a maximum load capacity of 3640# at 80 psi.

Almost all LT tires will be more durable than ST tires because they will have deeper/taller treads and a lot of them will have some sort of sidewall protection. But don?t confuse durability with strength.

Whatever tire design you decide to use as your replacement should have rib designed treads. Aggressive tread designs are not needed or desired on the trailer axles.

When selecting replacement tires the industry safety standards will always recommend that you use replacement tires of the same size and design as those that came as OEM or another size or design of equal or greater load capacity than your OEM tires.

FastEagle

p.s. Once you put a tire on the trailer axle it becomes a trailer tire.  It?s going to torque in turns. In tight turns on pavement you can actually scrub the rubber right off the treads.     

Back
Top Bottom