Question on Allure Flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruthandken CDN

We are going to get rid of the carpet in our MH this summer and replace it with Allure Flooring.  We are going to leave the carpet in the bedroom area though and also we have laminate in the kitchen area today which we are also going to leave there (think it's made by Wilson or something like that).  Anyhow I was wondering what do we use to make the transition from Allure to carpet and Allure to laminate flooring?  I know about the rubber or metal caps for the stairs, but it's on the floor that I don't know how to do?
Thanks.

Ruth

" T " moulding. It comes in either vinyl or wood. Some of it has a track you put down first and then the moulding snaps in.

I too am considering replacing the carpet in our motorhome.  Reading the Allure manual it specifically states do not install if the temps will get below 15 degrees F or above 95 degrees F.  Rarely will my unit get below 15 but during the Texas summer our unit will often get above 130 degrees when its in storage.  Does anyone have experience in these temps or am I worrying about nothing?  Thanks.

Jim

elkhartjim said:
I  Rarely will my unit get below 15 but during the Texas summer our unit will often get above 130 degrees when its in storage.  Does anyone have experience in these temps or am I worrying about nothing?  Thanks.

Jim

I have no experience with this particular product Jim, but would venture a guess that 130 degree heat might cause the glued joints to release. I would check with the manufacturer before spending the $'s. If it was just an expansion issue, you could leave extra clearance around the edges.

Check by Googing Allure and see what comes up.  Also check Consumer Reports for their take on it.  I found osme serious problems with it when we were checking on new flooring in the stick house earlier this year.  I have thrown all my data away after we chose another material so no longer have the specifics.

I was hoping to get some first hand knowledge/experience as it seems many are installing this flooring in their RV's.  The manufacturers instructions are very specific, don't install if temperature will get above 95 degrees because the glue will melt.  Thanks for the input.

Read post # 15 at this forum. http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/thoughts-opinions-trafficmaster-allure-flooring-home-depot-9558/

ruthandken CDN said:
We are going to get rid of the carpet in our MH this summer and replace it with Allure Flooring.  We are going to leave the carpet in the bedroom area though and also we have laminate in the kitchen area today which we are also going to leave there (think it's made by Wilson or something like that).  Anyhow I was wondering what do we use to make the transition from Allure to carpet and Allure to laminate flooring?  I know about the rubber or metal caps for the stairs, but it's on the floor that I don't know how to do?
Thanks.

Ruth

Ruth,

I just installed Traffic Master Allure Tile Sedona Vinyl flooring 12 in. x 36 inches in my 28ft class C motor home.

The tile is more difficult to install then the wood grain due to the tile lines you have to line up and you can only go in one direction, so you wind up with more waste. If I had to do it again I would install the wood grain, I installed it in my home and it was much easier. I used 3 boxes@ $50 per box with no leftovers. For the transition from carpet to the vinyl I used the flat strips they sell at Home Depot and the 90% angle for the steps. It came out nice, but took longer than expected.

I hope this helps
Carl

Thanks for all your input.  I've read what some people say about temperatures.  It does get the cold in storage here in Ontario in the winter, and of course in the summer, it can get very hot inside while it's not being used and in storage.  But we're still going to do the Allure anyway.  If it doesn't work out then I guess we will have to find something else that works.  I can not stand the carpet in there anymore with 2 big dogs coming in and out all the time.

Ruth

ruthandken CDN said:
But we're still going to do the Allure anyway.  If it doesn't work out then I guess we will have to find something else that works.  I can not stand the carpet in there anymore with 2 big dogs coming in and out all the time.

Ruth

I think that's a good approach Ruth.  We full time with 3 dogs and love the beach so our carpet remained presentable for about two weeks after taking delivery of the coach!  You'll love how cleaning up with throw rugs and Allure is compared to the carpet.  One of the reasons I went with it was the ease of installation.  Traveling... I didn't have my tools so being able to make all of the cuts with nothing more sophisticated than a pair of shears was a big plus.

Best of luck and take lots of pictures.

Rick

falconhunter said:
Read post # 15 at this forum. http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/thoughts-opinions-trafficmaster-allure-flooring-home-depot-9558/

Thanks for the link.  After reading all the posts its pretty evident it would not be a good choice for me.  One post that caught my attention was the installer that had a problem with the glue melting on his knife.  I can't imagine having to remove all the glue if the flooring doesn't work. 

elkhartjim said:
One post that caught my attention was the installer that had a problem with the glue melting on his knife.  I can't imagine having to remove all the glue if the flooring doesn't work. 

I also read that post, but I think what the installer was talking about was that the extra 10 or so degrees in temp was making the glue stickier and harder to work with (cut because the glue sticks to the side of the knife). If you are concerned about glue getting onto your subfloor, but still wanted to try the Allure, you might consider picking up a roll of 30" or 36" masking paper in the paint department and put it on the subfloor before putting down the Allure.

Water Dog said:
I also read that post, but I think what the installer was talking about was that the extra 10 or so degrees in temp was making the glue stickier and harder to work with (cut because the glue sticks to the side of the knife). If you are concerned about glue getting onto your subfloor, but still wanted to try the Allure, you might consider picking up a roll of 30" or 36" masking paper in the paint department and put it on the subfloor before putting down the Allure.

Actually Dennis I'm concerned when I walk in to the motorhome and its 120-130 degrees, will the flooring slide out from under me.  I also wonder, will the glue stick to the sub-floor or the flooring itself when it softens?  If it (the glue) comes off the flooring and stays on the sub-floor-well I don't even want to think about the mess that could possibly be. 

Again, thanks for all the information.

I have also heard 2 different approaches to the new floor also.  Some people say to just make sure after you take up the carpet to remove all staples etc. (would have done this anyway) and then you can lay the floor right down on this subfloor.  Others say they put some kind of underlay down first.  What is the way to go here?  And IF an underlay is required what the heck do you use?
Thanks again.

Underlayment is not needed according to the installation instructions Ruth. You can take a look at them at this site http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/d0/d0c0bf10-7dd2-47ca-9459-577a22eeeb65.pdf

ruthandken CDN said:
I have also heard 2 different approaches to the new floor also.  Some people say to just make sure after you take up the carpet to remove all staples etc. (would have done this anyway) and then you can lay the floor right down on this subfloor.  Others say they put some kind of underlay down first.  What is the way to go here?  And IF an underlay is required what the heck do you use?
Thanks again.

Allure doesn't require it but I wanted a completely flat floor look from nose to tail which covered areas of floor which had been covered by vinal tile and sections of carpet so when the old flooring was removed the floor had several different levels to it.  I used 3/16" plywood underlayment cut to fit the areas where carpet had been and then used a leveling compound to smooth the edges.  I do think the underlayment caused me some problems with my slides because it raised the ultimate level of the floor a bit too high and the slides do drag on it a bit.

Rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom