Painting the inside - is it doable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ali1257

I am wanting to do some updating in our Class A motor home - would like to paint the bathroom walls.  Wondering if that is doable? any thing special I need to do before painting?

Hi  sure it is the same as painting your home,  paints these days are so good Just pick you color and have fun :)
Howard

My first motorhome had a drab brown leather "rough out" ceiling and I hated it. I painted it with a roller and water based vinyl house paint, and got compliments for the 14 years I owned it, flat colors will look better for interior use.>>>Dan

ali1257 said:
I am wanting to do some updating in our Class A motor home - would like to paint the bathroom walls.  Wondering if that is doable? any thing special I need to do before painting?

We painted the bathroom in our Cedar Creek 5th wheel.  Even though the paneling was vinyl covered, we had no problem getting it to stick.  We first roughed up the surface with 220 grit  sand paper, or 3m sanding block.  Then, we washed down the walls with rubbing alcohol.  This cleaned off any dust from sanding, and any greasy finger prints.  It's best to use a latex enamel, because of the humidity in the bathroom.  Most paint brands offer a latex enamel these days in plenty of colors.  We practiced in the closet first to make sure it would stick.  Good luck and enjoy the change.

I would definitely rough up the surface (if it is paneling or vinyl covered) as Dave suggested, but I would suggest you also prime before you paint. It will help the paint to adhere better to those kinds of surfaces if you prime  with a product such as Kilz or Zinsser's Bullseye 123. I personally lean toward the Bullseye, but Kilz is also a decent product. I believe both claim to be mold and mildew resistant.

Thank you so much for the encouragement and suggestions.  I will let you know what we decide to do and will definitely take before/after pictures.

if its a glossy surface like paneling then it needs to be sanded I just did my 5Th wheel and it looks great i decided to get some stuff from home depot that you add to your paint and it gave it a nice texture but you can paint it with out using texture

I'm getting a brand new rv, 5th wheel in about 8 weeks. I'm very eager to paint the walls and cabinets. How do I know if either has a vinyl finish that I need to prep before hand?

Christina

You will need to prep. The Zinsser's Bullseye 123 is what I use.

What year and model of RV is it?

It will surely have a smooth, shiny finish, most likely vinyl or treated paper over MDF or luan. I would sand lightly (don't rub through the surface) and prime with the Zinsser that canuckrv recommended. Kilz is another top brand.

Gary RV Roamer said:
What year and model of RV is it?

It will surely have a smooth, shiny finish, most likely vinyl or treated paper over MDF or luan. I would sand lightly (don't rub through the surface) and prime with the Zinsser that canuckrv recommended. Kilz is another top brand.

Gary
It is a 2014 Forest a River Heritage Glen 356QBQ 5th wheel

Back
Top Bottom