Adblock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

I am probably the last one to the party on this one since I have never installed a browser extension in my life but here goes. On my photo forum site there was a thread about obnoxious ads. A dozen people all chimed in and said the Adblock was the best way to get rid of Internet ads while browsing. Adblock does exactly what its name implies: it blocks ads. Pretty much all of them. Banner ads? Yes. Those crazy annoying Flash ads that seem to be popping up everywhere? You bet. Facebook ads, Google ads, pop-up ads? Check, check, and check. Using the Internet with Adblock is oddly peaceful; all you see is the content you're looking for, and not all the distracting clutter that we've grown accustomed to. A small notification in the bottom right corner of the screen lets you know when a pop-up has been blocked, and you can choose to have Adblock stop blocking pop-ups from individual sites if desired. Using Adblock also results in the practical advantage of faster page loads, which is always a plus. and it doesn't change a thing about RVforum.net since there are no ads here. Wonderful product available for free for most browsers. Google adblock and your browser to find it. Very small download.

I have been trying Adblock for the past few days and it does seem to do the job well.  However, for whatever reason, it causes some websites to throw a "Internet Explorer cannot display" error when the browser first starts up.  I'm using IE8 on XP Sp2 with 4 tabs opening when the browser is started.  I haven't tried it with only one tab upon opening.  I have verified the problem exists everytime I open the browser and does not occur if I disable Adblocker.  Interestingly, the website that the problem occurs with every time is a simple totally uncluttered html page.  No frills, no ads, no nothing.

Molaker said:
I have been trying Adblock for the past few days and it does seem to do the job well.  However, for whatever reason, it causes some websites to throw a "Internet Explorer cannot display" error when the browser first starts up.  I'm using IE8 on XP Sp2 with 4 tabs opening when the browser is started.  I haven't tried it with only one tab upon opening.  I have verified the problem exists everytime I open the browser and does not occur if I disable Adblocker.  Interestingly, the website that the problem occurs with every time is a simple totally uncluttered html page.  No frills, no ads, no nothing.

That is interesting. I have been using Chrome since beta and I like it a lot better than any other browser. I have had zero issues with Adblock. I did try and install it on my girlsfriend's computer and it would not install, too new of a version of Firefox.

Did a little more troubleshooting and I found if I move the website that has the problem to the first tab in the list, it opens okay.  I suspect it may be some kind of DNS lookup error.

Honest John said:
seilerbird I can't help but notice that you are looking younger these days.  Must be that WD40?
Well since you are Honest John then it must be true.

When discussing Adblock, it's important to note which browser is being used.  There are versions of Adblock for Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome.  What applies to one version may not be the same in another.

Ned said:
When discussing Adblock, it's important to note which browser is being used.  There are versions of Adblock for Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome.  What applies to one version may not be the same in another.
I did.  Was this not enough?
Molaker said:
IE8 on XP Sp2 with 4 tabs opening when the browser is started.

And now you can download IE9 (Beta). Look and location of stuff does require some edumacation :) .
Appears to work well with my adons, etc.

Molaker, my comment was general and not directed at any one posting.  In this topic 3 different browsers have been mentioned and it's important not to apply remarks about one browser to a different one.  I knew you were refering to the IE version, but others might not have picked up on that.

I should have mentioned in my original post that there are many different versions available. More than one version is available for each most of the most popular browsers.

I personally use 3 different computers, 2 with XP Home and the laptop has 7, I can only get Adblock installed on one of the XP Home machines.  The other 2 will not install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom