Recommendations for Best Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DogzRule

Hi,  This is my first post on this site. Looking forward to your sage advice.

My husband and I have finally decided to go with a Class C (lots of debate between Fifth Wheel vs Class C for our needs). Now we have to decide on which Class C.

Criteria:
<$50k
Used is fine
<28 foot
Full Queen bed
1-2 slides
Quality 'fit and finish' - elegant not cheesy finish/decor
Excellent, solid construction - brand least likely to have leaks and squeaks.

Care to share your opinion in steering us toward quality brands and away from problem manufacturers?

Thanks!

Finding one whose layout (floor plan) works best for you is probably more important than brand. However, I would start my search with the Winnebago & Itasca models. Jayco too. Fleetwoods' Tioga/Jamboree twins are popular, as are some of the Four Winds models.

The Best-in-Class brand is Lazy Daze, but they are sold factory-direct and used ones are rare.

I will get flamed for this but I would get a class A.  Even a smaller one will handle and drive better that the best class C in my humble opinion.  There is a lot of great 25' class A's out there for the same price as a C and will have more storage as well. My 2 cents.

I agree, what you really should look at is a class A. They have so much more room. I lived in a 32 foot class C for a year and now I live in a 27 foot Class A. The class A is 5 feet shorter than the C but it feels 5 foot longer inside. The reason is the first 7 feet, the engine, is basically wasted space. Do yourself a favor and take a look at a few class A units. Used ones are no more expensive than class Cs are.

try the class C, you will like the 14/mph, its low enough to fit in those doors at quick lube places for your oil changes, drives like a van.

Attachments

• rvocean.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 45
Thanks for the advice so far!

We are going to two dealers today to do some walkthru's on Class C Coachmen and Fleetwood. Will be sure to walk thru some Class A's also based on these comments. My worry with Class A is that it will be harder to drive than a Class C.

I thought the Itasca were not that well built - squeaky after a couple years and not quality counters, parts, cushions, systems. I'd rather spend a tiny bit more than buying in at entry level only to be set up for problems or dissatisfaction with build.

If Lazy Daze is top, what would be considered mid-level - based on quality build, long-term comfort, etc?

A's drive better, you have better vision.  Better storage.  I never understood why Lazy Daze are considered so high, have seen them and never impressed.  Itasca is a good brand, don't worry about them, same as Winnebago. 

14mpg is a great goal fr a C but haven't seen that as attained. 

Budget looks fine, have fun looking.

DogzRule said:
Care to share your opinion in steering us toward quality brands and away from problem manufacturers?

FWIW, a number of  years ago I worked with a rental agency -- and their opinion as to which Class C's held up under the rigors of rentals was Winnebago's -- and that was over Fleetwood as well. The only modification Winnebago did for them was to beef up the up front springs, if I recall.

With that in mind, I drove a Toga 29' Class C for about 4 years or so. I finally went back to a Class A because of (1) the need for more room, and (2) I felt the handling was just not that great. The chassis on longer C's is probably better these days, but back then ('98) mine was on a Van chassis. It was also very top heavy. When doing a tight curve a bit too fast I felt I might tip over. But the "room" thing was the main thing. I just got tired of living in an aisle vs. a room. In today's RV world, if two people can't pass by each other in the front segment of their RV -- the are in the wrong RV.

So my advice is to rent a Class A MH with a slide for a weekend. The illusion of width is easily overcome once you realize it's just that - an illusion. In the C you tend to forget how wide you are. So start in a nice big parking lot and you will find the illusion goes away pretty quickly -- and you will then begin enjoying the extra room you have.

Keep us posted on how the decision is going and what you come up with!!

We started out with a brand new class C.  Husband didn't like the way it handled and I didn't like the lack of storage.  After 1 1/2 years we traded it in on a class A.  We both got what we were looking for. 

DogzRule said:
My worry with Class A is that it will be harder to drive than a Class C.
I have owned several class As, several class Bs and several class Cs. I find the class A is the easiest and most fun of all to drive. Especially a diesel class A. Much better vision since you are higher up off the ground and have a lot more windshield in front of you. Cs have that stupid thing hanging over your head. Better turning ratio on a diesel and much quieter with the engine 20 to 30 feet behind you. Do yourself a favor and test drive a diesel class A. That is as good as it gets.

I never understood why Lazy Daze are considered so high, have seen them and never impressed.

We owned two Lazy Dazes and loved them both.  Would go back to one if we ever wanted a Class C again.  It all has to do with fit and finish.  Nicely done interiors with good fabrics and good color matching.  How many brand new RVs have you seen that needed only ONE minor fix?  The first 22' LD had the hot and cold water lines to the bathroom reversed.  Easy fix by Jerry after talking with LD on the phone.  The second 30' LD had a small leak in an outside storage compartment that they fixed.  This is a family-owned company that takes pride in their product.  We felt they were a better value than their nearest competitor at the time (Born Free).

Like Gary said, there aren't many used ones available because owners love 'em and keep 'em forever!

ArdraF

We have a 2004 Winnebago Minnie (new name outlook).  It is model 29B (WF329B).  It has a queen bedroom slide and a living room slide.  We took out the couch in the front slide and replaced it with 2 La Z Boy recliner rockers, no over-cab bunk, we have the entertainment center.  I think (hope) this will be the last RV we purchase, have had many RVs over the 26 years we have been Rving.  Look at Winnebago, they make good motor homes. FYI we purchased a new  Lazy Daze from the factory and I like Winnebago?s better.  Regards, Dick

Some info on Winnebago 2000 - 2010 Class C Motor Homes
In regards to Winnebago and its twin Itasca you can go to www.winnebagoind.com  click on Resources and then Manuals and Diagram and download a Pdf brochure and spec sheets for the models and year you are checking out and see what is standard and what options are available. 
A little background on the models:  W stands for Winnebago and I stands for Itasca. 
Both have class C model numbers 200, 300 and 400.  400 was used with the top of the line class C the W Minnie Winnie and I Sundancer.  The Minnie Winnie?s last year was 2006 and the Sundancers last year was 2007.  These 400 models were the top of line in Class C?s,  For example a Minnie Winnie 30V full model number is WF430V and the I Sundancer 30V is IF430V. 

The next level down is the W Minnie and the I Spirit.  These are model 300.  W Minnie is not a Winnie Minnie, but some people call their Minnie a Minnie Winnie.  The Minnie label changed to Outlook in 2006 and offered many of the features and options of the Minnie Winnie/Sundancer, W Outlook and I Spirit were offered through 2010.    As an example the Minnie/Outlook 29B full model # is WF329B and the I Spirit 29B is IF329B.

The next level down.  In 2007 W & I brought out the new entry level Class C the W Access and I Impluse both model 200;s.  For example the Access 31C is WF231C, and Impluse 31C is IF231C.

Winnebago's Chalet brand  is built for the rental companies, not sure if they follow the same 200, 300, 400 numbering system.  They are about the same as their other Class C?s except more basic and no carpet.  You will find these in the used market place. 

I hope this helps and does not confuse you.  Good luck RV hunting.  My only other comment is
don?t count on a RV salesperson to know anything about the RV?s they sell.  All they know is that they have the perfect RV for you on the lot and you can own it today.  Do your research prior to shopping.

Look at a Minnie Winnie DL around 29'.  That price you are probably looking eary '90's.

Another vote for a Class A.  We too purchased a Class C and one year to the day later traded it in for a class A.  Do yourself a favor and test drive a class A and try living in both types before you buy. Different strokes for different folks.  I just wish we had been more open minded before we bought our first one. We also had to let go of some preconceived notions about fuel economy vs living space.

Not trying to start an argument but..... I don't get it, someone asks about the best class C and everyone chimes in to get a class A. We are currently in the market for our first class C, and have looked at the class A and they do not work for our family, the sleeping arrangements are lousy . A DP is way out of our price range so we are looking at a gas class C vs class A. I understand the class A might handle better but who cares if it doesnt meet your needs? I think before ANYONE on here recommends something, you should get more information.

1. How many people will be traveling with you?
2. Will this be for weekend trips? cross country? living?
3. Will you be towing anything?
4. How long do you intend to keep it?

Some have suggested a class A DP, while that may be a great way to go, for under 50k you are gonna be looking at something about 10+yrs old, you can get a used class C that is only 2 yrs old for under 50K... For me, having something newer is the way to go. Again, these are only my observations.

To try to answer you original question,from my limited research, I have found that a few brands keep being mentioned.
Winnebago, Itasca, Lazy Dazes, BigFoot...and to a lesser extent Jayco, they all have their faults, choose one that has the floorplan and options you are looking for and enjoy it....

edmond, I agree with you that the "C" will give you plenty of sleeping capacity.  Our C and '98 Minnie Winne DL had a king bed in the overhead, the dinette made into a double, and a queen bed in the bedroom.  We had intended to keep it for five years and just about made it to four before we moved up.  Had it had one (or two) slide outs we might still have it today.

edmond said:
Not trying to start an argument but..... I don't get it, someone asks about the best class C and everyone chimes in to get a class A.

The reason we are all chiming in about a class A is because this question has been asked many times before on this forum and we usually give this same response. The poster is usually surprised to find out that used class As can be had for the same price as a used class C. Not a 2 year old one, but one ten to twenty years old are generally in the same price range. Many of these posters have gone on to get a class A and then came back to tell us how happy they were to follow the advise. Remember, we are only offering suggestions. The OP is certainly free to ignore us.

Another reason the Lazy Daze and the Born Free http://www.dodgen-bornfree.com/ from Dodgen Ind are the top two Class C units usually pointed out: both have an all steel frame and roll bar cage infra structure and they have survived all sorts of accidents that would have totaled out lesser units. Both have pride of craftsmanship that provides value over more years use.

The Born Free with the diesel package has long been the primary coach for touring South America --diesel service is available in every country and they are easily sold when you've spent a year or two in South  America.

There has been a diesel powered Born Free on RV Trader for several weeks under $20 k. If I hadn't had our roof beam end-caps refinished in September, installed a new patio using paving stones with French drains outside our atrium in October and new dual pane windows being installed throughout the house at this very moment, I probably would have been driving it to QZ this January! But, first things first. There is or was a 30' Lazy Daze that I found with RVT, RVsearch.com or googling.

The right coach will be there at the right time. I am being sure I have Estelle's needs covered first with a home that will last.

Back
Top Bottom