Attention Virgin Mobile Internet USB Users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just renewed  ( or bought ) my $40.00 for a months unlimited service . No problem Not sure what all the fuss is about .this is my 4th month with the service
H

I've been experiencing "outages" in my service.  It connects and shows good speed but just doesn't DO anything. These are usually in the evening, beginning around 6 PM.  Mornings are great- never a problem before 7 AM when I do most of my browsing.  I just figured there are too many subscribers.  Mostly, disconnecting and reconnecting restarts the service but occasionally it is just dead.  I did have occasional problems with Net Zero dial up at similar times.

Of course there are some claiming these outages are intentional:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25590222-recent-frequent-reliability-decreasing-data-outages

Foxysdad, glad to hear you got the plan at the old price.  I wasn't going fight with the guy since I wasn't going to buy the unlimited package anyway.  I'm still only about a quarter of the way through my $20/ 1 gigabyte and almost halfway through the month.

fleamarketeer

I let my Virgin Mobile service expire today just to see what would happen (I had the phone number just in case).  I was able to renew/restart without any problem.  I had a $20 credit, enough one month of the Walmart 1GB special, on account.  I could connect to their web site but no other.

This morning I'd used 543 MB and had 481 left.  I'm still connected at least 4 hours a day- usually a bit more. I still don't download videos and have NO flash player on my computer.  I have been allowing Avg to update as it wants and downloaded maybe 10 MB of manuals as pdf's (I use Foxit Reader).

fleamarketeer

I'm still on the no-contract $40 a month unlimited  plan. It works fine so far. I renewed at $40 last week.

A few evenings it has died. I called them, they claimed they were updating the system, to try it again later.

Later it worked.

They do seem to slow it down once you use up 5gb for the month, but the slowness doesn't bother me. You can't watch videos very well, with it slow, (like the TV channels) but you can still download stuff, it takes longer, no big deal to me. Sometimes I set mine to download at night while I sleep anyhow.

Sometimes I wake up, can't sleep in the middle of the night, the internet seems to be faster again, maybe if there aren't many users on at that wee hour, they don't feel the need to slow me back down.

Anyhow, it's still working for me, I've moved around a good bit, checking their map before I picked a campground, so far their map has been accurate about working when they say it will work.

AT&T who tortured me for a few months, while traveling, has a map that tells big fat lies. They are still harassing me to "keep my contract"  payments, but I keep telling them, they didn't keep their end of the contract, their map promised coverage where coverage didn't exist.  Not paying them one dime, no matter how much they threaten and harass me.

DearMissMermaid said:
<snip>
AT&T who tortured me for a few months, while traveling, has a map that tells big fat lies. They are still harassing me to "keep my contract"  payments, but I keep telling them, they didn't keep their end of the contract, their map promised coverage where coverage didn't exist.  Not paying them one dime, no matter how much they threaten and harass me.

I love it!!!! 

Send THEM a bill for coverage you were promised, you paid for, but did not receive!  Heck, add on a couple of grand for "pain and suffering"!

I am glad to hear the unlimited plan is working for you- and that they kept the price they promised.  After reading so many forums trashing 5 gigabyte limits, I was amazed at how little bandwidth I actually used.  Everybody has different needs.

My VM service varies in speed over even just a few miles.  I'm fine and fast in a campground near the Ohio turnpike but much slower at a flea market off I-480 in Cleveland.  That's just over a 15 minute trip.  In any event, it sure as heck beats dial up!

fleamarketeer

Just a quick note about data usage.  I logged off and back on this morning and noticed a big jump in MB used (its on the log in screen)..  I poked around a bit (it's raining, yet again, the Sunday market is all but closed- and I'm bored) and discovered a 20 minute+ update for AVG.  It was about 80 MB more than "normal".  After more looking I found an approximately 70 MB jump in usage that corresponds with another unusually long AVG update two weeks ago.

I just found it interesting that in just 2 updates AVG used 15 % of my data allowance.  A few other updates were pretty large too.  AVG has been getting slower, more bloated, and clunkier for years.  I'm still doing fine for the month with my data allowance, but I'll be looking for a better anti-virus program.  Maybe one that offers me the option of downloading large updates immediately or in a few hours at McDonalds or in a library parking lot.

fleamarketeer

I just wish there was a way for me to get the Wall-Mart customer's 20 bucks for 1 Gig plan when I'm doing my "Week by week" bit.  Actually.. I do know how I can get it, Feeding 12 volts to the 5 volt line on a USB dongle is very easy to do.

FrankNSharon said:
If you are running Windows, I suggest using Microsoft Security Essentials <snip>
Frank

Thanks Frank.  It's about time to let Windows update again so I'll stop at the library and give it a shot.  Maybe it will let me control the virus definition and program update schedule.  The Virgin Mobile dongle, even on the unlimited plan, probably isn't up to downloading some of the Windows updates in a reasonable length of time.  Sometimes the library's connection is working "forever" on them.

I'm not so cheap that I really mind paying for anti-virus software.  But if I pay, I expect it to work well.

fleamarketeer

Back
Top Bottom