Wireless backup cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bb21992

Would like to install a backup camera.  Looked at the wireless ones on the web.  I don't want to put any holes in the roof or outer portion of the RV.  Curious to know if anyone has installed a wireless camera and how you like it or not.  Pros and cons?  Could not find anything in the library and did not find too much on reviews of these gadgets.  Any information greatly appreciated.  :)

Yes and no....I picked up one of those inexpensive back up cameras that are supposed to mount to your license plate frame. My idea was to make a bracket and install it inside the top of coach's back window behind the curtain. I made a bracket out of a piece of flat aluminum stock, painted it flat black, an screwed it inside the curtain valance so the lens is pointing at a downward angle out the back window. All I was really intersted in was checking on the boat that we were towing since the MH is wider than the boat. The idea and mounting worked great, but because I went cheap on the camera/receiver, I find that the signal isn't consistant, and when you see it on the little screen it's okay but the signal is interrupted by the slightest movement of things like body parts. The camera probably isn't really made for the length that a MH is. I think a REAL RV wireless camera would probably work well, but I don't have first hand experience. I'm sure there are a ton of people on here who do have experience with them.

Most of the wireless cameras work on the same frequencies as WiFi, baby monitors, and all kinds of other stuff.  Lots of interference likely.  Also, many of them require you run a wire from the camera to the transmitter which has to be kept dry - you will have to make a hole anyway. 

Take a look at the systems from http://www.rearviewsafety.com/.  They are wired, but work well with lots of options.

Hooked up a wireless TFT-LCD backup camera on the 5th Wheel today.  While it is usable, there is interference.  Will need to move the unit around a little in the cab / antenna angle... and find the best position.

This one looks good!  The other ones before this only had 20' range - this one says 150'
So for my 32' rv it should work

I am going to get one!!

Anyone else have one of these?

Jay

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/wireless-rear-view-hitch-camera/47686

vermilye said:
Most of the wireless cameras work on the same frequencies as WiFi, baby monitors, and all kinds of other stuff.  Lots of interference likely.  Also, many of them require you run a wire from the camera to the transmitter which has to be kept dry - you will have to make a hole anyway. 

Take a look at the systems from http://www.rearviewsafety.com/.  They are wired, but work well with lots of options.

I have looked at these cameras a lot and do know they sell them at Costco for less money then the rearview safety site does they have them in there auto electronics listings

and i was looking at ebay and saw these and was wondering if anybody had seen or used this kind and maybe where in the us i might find them  http://cgi.ebay.com/A72-Wireless-Parking-Rear-View-Camera-SYSTEM-7-LCD-/220739482959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336519354f 
and my use is more for looking at the 4 wheelers on the trailer behind me
and bb21992 thanks for posting this thread

Larry N. said:
The fine print on the web page: "For use when hitching only; not designed for use as a backup monitor."
Looking at the camera, it appears it may not have a wide enough field of view to use as a back-up monitor.

I have purchased both a wired and wireless backup for two of my vehicles.  The wired one was used for my car the wireless was used for my RV.  There is no question that wired is better than wireless.  However, wireless works really well as long as you install it correctly.  I didn't want to wire my RV with over 50 feet of wiring in order to get a backup camera.  So instead I bought the wireless backup camera from a company called Tadi Brothers.  They explained to me the difference of the both systems and were very patient with me.  They also said that if my wireless backup camera didn't work the way I wanted then I could return it for a full refund.  The wireless backup camera they suggest was http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products/View/SKU90117

I bought a wireless camera, it sounds the same as yours.  It came with a license plate bracket.  Because my rear bumper is fiberglass, the camera bracket won't fit by the license plate.  I made a PVC bracket and mounted it up high by a marker light with lots of silicone.  So it gets power whenever my running lights are on.  My TT is 30' long, and the TV is a full size pickup.  It shows very well what is behind me, but the picture is not constant.  It goes on and off every few seconds, but that is enough time for me to see what is behind me while I'm driving.  I don't know if it is from interference or the length of the camera/receiver, but I like it.  I only paid $50 for it, but it was easier than running a wire all the way from the TT to the TV.

MikeyInNY said:
I bought a wireless camera, it sounds the same as yours.  It came with a license plate bracket.  Because my rear bumper is fiberglass, the camera bracket won't fit by the license plate.  I made a PVC bracket and mounted it up high by a marker light with lots of silicone.  So it gets power whenever my running lights are on.  My TT is 30' long, and the TV is a full size pickup.  It shows very well what is behind me, but the picture is not constant.  It goes on and off every few seconds, but that is enough time for me to see what is behind me while I'm driving.  I don't know if it is from interference or the length of the camera/receiver, but I like it.  I only paid $50 for it, but it was easier than running a wire all the way from the TT to the TV.
Spend a few minutes moving the camera (and it's antenna) around in the cab.  We have found that the further left (to the passenger side) we moved the camera, the better reception.  I considered extending the antenna outside mounted on the mirror with an appropriate cable the I found online, however with the move to the extreme left of the cab, no need.  I do believe we are at the extreme distance that can be expected though, with the TV and the 37' 5vr, it's pretty far to the rear!

I have purchased both a wired and wireless backup for two of my vehicles.  The wired one was used for my car the wireless was used for my RV.  There is no question that wired is better than wireless.  However, wireless works really well as long as you install it correctly.  I didn't want to wire my RV with over 50 feet of wiring in order to get a backup camera.  So instead I bought the wireless backup camera from a company called Tadi Brothers.  They explained to me the difference of the both systems and were very patient with me.  They also said that if my wireless backup camera didn't work the way I wanted then I could return it for a full refund.  The wireless backup camera they suggest was http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products/View/SKU90117

Did you get that unit and if so, how do you like it.  This is the one I have been looking at.

jje1960 said:
Hooked up a wireless TFT-LCD backup camera on the 5th Wheel today.  While it is usable, there is interference.  Will need to move the unit around a little in the cab / antenna angle... and find the best position.

Is this sytem still working for you?  I also have a fifth wheel and a 2010 F350 truck and I am looking for a good system.  It would be great if it would show up on the dash like the build in back up camera on the tail gate.  Please confirm if this is still working.  Thanks

Jon

I tried  a wireless from the rear of my 5th wheel to the cab of my truck.  Way too much interference to be useful, in my opinion.  I ended up running a coax from the back of the 5er to the front, installed an F connector near the 7Way on the truck, more coax from there to the dash.  Video plugs into a monitor on the dash.  Only problem I had was the image wasn't a MIRROR image and was confusing.  Modified my monitor to flip the image and all is well.  I also installed a second camera right above my Class 3 hitch.  With the flip of a switch, I can either see out the rear of the 5er or see all 4 wheels of the 5er while going down the road.

Their customer service is good but I am still not happy with the unit. First I tried the wireless and it did not work out then they exchanged and sent me a new camera and I ran the wire from the back to the front under the coach and am using the cig lighter for power to the monitor and still get some interference. When going down the road it cuts in and out.

bb21992 said:
Would like to install a backup camera.  Looked at the wireless ones on the web.  I don't want to put any holes in the roof or outer portion of the RV.  Curious to know if anyone has installed a wireless camera and how you like it or not.  Pros and cons?  Could not find anything in the library and did not find too much on reviews of these gadgets.  Any information greatly appreciated.  :)

in fact , IT both need to drill holes no matter wired backup camera or wireless one,but it's worth to drill holes to install a backup camera system to increase rear visibility and avoid backup accident.my opinion is that get a digital wireless backup camera instead of weak analog camera system if you want to buy a wireless backup camera system ,actually you will benifit from a wired camera system for a long term use ,this is some option :
https://brakelightcamera.com/product-category/other-vehicles/

don't forget to get a camera system with IR LED lights for night vision.

I was fretting over what to get. The installation cost of a wired is considerable. I do not plan on installing it myself.

I wanted a review camera and a gps so I opted to combine them and got the Garmin rv gps with rear camera. It has good reviews.

I can't use the gps and camera at the same time but I don't think that will be a problem.

I also purchased a garmin gps and wireless cam. It works great for me. I wired it to running lights. If I want to view my cam, I just turn on running lights. You can also turn on/off the view of the camera from the gps but i find it easier just to pull the headlight to running.

I know exactly what you mean. When we decided to RV full-time, we purchased a large Jayco Eagle Premier fifth wheel. It's about 44 ft in length, and it can be difficult to maneuver and get around. I would definitely say a good rearview / backup camera is a must for me, both from a safety and peace of mind standpoint.

I have not tried the Garmin, but I think this is a really good unit:

http://shop.alabamarvandstorage.com/wireless-rv-camera

It's not HD so you won't be picking bugs off the highway, but the picture is still good quality and it lets you monitor while on the road. It's also wireless and has good signal connectivity with in-motion stabilization. I can't imagine going back to not having something like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom