California Cotton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Have added two new images to my California Irrigation album. This cotton field is next to the Los Banos campus of the Merced Community College on highway 152 between Los Banos, CA and the 5 freeway. I came back the next AM for other shots, but it was gone. Be it a corn field or cotton, they harvest huge acreages in a day around here.

The other new shot is a sunset over the forebay lake in front of the San Luis Dam. Water moves into this lake from the mountains of Norther California in the winter via the Sacramento River and Delta area. It is then pumped up behind the dam until the summer when it is released and allowed to flow down the California Aqueduct for irrigation and to supply additional water to the Los Angeles area.

Both images were taken with my Canon 50D and 28-135 IS lens. Also both were shot hand held in aperture priority. The cotton field was 1/125 at f11.00 around 3 PM.

HERE is a slide show of the album -- with the first two being the new ones added. You can click any image to display or hide the descriptions.

Well, that warms the cockles of my San Joaquin Valley childhood heart!  Since my childhood was pre-water project, the cotton fields of the time were pretty sgraggly.  ;D

Margi

Wow Bob! Wish I could take photos like that. Thanks for sharing.

Bob,

Fantastic photos!! We were just in Maricopa, AZ where the cotton is about ready for harvesting. Never thought to get that close for photos. :( Love the rest of them as well!

Very nice shots.. the cotton field and the peaches are my faves.  Thanx for sharing.
Jim

All very nice - as usual!  ;D  I'm with Dick, I like the lamb.  So cute!

ArdraF

Tom and Margi said:
Well, that warms the cockles of my San Joaquin Valley childhood heart!  Since my childhood was pre-water project, the cotton fields of the time were pretty sgraggly.  ;D

Where did you live in the San Joaquin Valley, Margi?

For whatever reason, the farmland between the 5 freeway and Los Banos is well irrigated and yielding beautiful crops of corn, cotton, and alfalfa. However, a short drive South down the 5 and one sees the Congress Created Dust Bowl signs. Haven't kept up with it in depth, but it does point out that the Central Valley Water project is in need of updates. Too many people, not enough water. And the State is broke.  :(

Glad you liked my California Cotton image!!

Jim Dick said:
Fantastic photos!! We were just in Maricopa, AZ where the cotton is about ready for harvesting. Never thought to get that close for photos. :( Love the rest of them as well!

Thank you, Dick!! Have seen a lot of cotton fields, but never a more hearty crop than this one. This kind of shot is when a fellow with two replaced hips could use a view finder that doesn't require getting down on the ground as this one did. I hope Canon fixes that when/if they announce the 8D.  :)

Will sure miss you again at QZ, my friend . . .

I grew up in Coalinga.  We lived at Caliola, a Shell Oil pipeline pump station, in a company house.  You can still see the tank farm if you look west from Harris Ranch but the houses are long gone.  We moved into town when I was 13.  I moved to Berkeley at age 18, eventually met Tom, and the rest is history!  ;D

The water project was completed after I left.  The area pre-water resembled high desert with lots of sage brush, anemic looking cotton, and white face Hereford range cattle.  Most of the area outside of town was owned by one oil company or another.

Margi

Bob,

I know what you mean and I haven't had to replace my hips. :) Canon does have a 90 degree adapter for some of their models not sure if it fits all or not. My guess is it does.

Here's the link:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon+90+degree+view+finder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Back
Top Bottom