Looking for a place on the water (FL Panhandle?) for a quick getaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dukenrock

My wife and I will be taking the RV to St.Louis for Thanksgiving with her family.  We'd like to head out after that for a week or so and stay on the water somewhere within a 14-16 hour drive.  I was thinking the FL Panhandle area may be a good area to hit.  I was also considering Oceans Lake in SC. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated!  I will have a 40' MH with trailer and a Dog.

My favorite campground is just east of Carabelle, Fl. Called Ho Hum. Small park but right on the water. Haven't been there for 2-3 years as I am now out west in AZ.

Fort Pickens campground at Gulf Shores National seashore near Pensacola is nice and the fort is very interesting. Geronimo was kept there after his capture for a period of time. The construction of the fort is worth investigating.

There are two we are familiar with.  Here are the websites>

http://www.perdidocove.com/

www.pensacolarvpark.com

The first is on the water, pool, etc.  Very nice.

The second is closer to Pensacola.  We stay there when bringing the kids to college in the fall.  Both good, clean parks. 

Andy,
Thanks for the links.  I think Pensacola will work!  I like the one with the marina.
Kevin

I camphosted at Fort Pickens and thoroughly enjoyed it....peaceful, easy beach access, lots of nature and history (Civil War, WWI, WWII, and more). Was sorry when it closed several years ago after a hurricane but understand that it's open again.

Wendy

The one with the marina is very nice.  We have not actually stayed there, but I did spend an hour there talking with the manager and walking around.  They are very nice, the place is extremely well kept.  A couple of good restaurants nearby - The Crab Trap is a couple of miles west and right on the gulf.  The Shrimp basket is about a mile west and across the road from the gulf.  Both have very fresh seafood, casual atmosphere, decent service, and the prices are not too bad. The shrimp basket is a little cheaper, but I like the food better at the Crab Trap.

If you stay at the other park you will save a little money, and it's closer to Pensacola so there's a little more to do (if you want something to do).  It's at exit 7 off I-10.  There is a Sonny's at that exit, as well as a Cracker Barrel, and a grocery store right there too, so provisioning is easy.

We're going down on Wednesday of this week, but not taking the motorhome.  We have a condo rented on Pensacola Beach for about ten days.  I'm going to check out Fort Pickens campground on this trip, for later on. 

Wendy,

We loved Fort Pickens. I was amazed at the architecture where they had to use a complete circle of brick to support the structure! Thinking about it, that might be a neat winter gig if they had a need for non Ranger personnel! ;D

Jim Dick said:
We loved Fort Pickens. I was amazed at the architecture where they had to use a complete circle of brick to support the structure! Thinking about it, that might be a neat winter gig if they had a need for non Ranger personnel! ;D 

They used to use camp hosts, figure they probably do now that the campground is reopened. No money but free electric/water hookup site, no cleaning bathrooms, great place to hang out. I camp hosted there briefly while Mike was a ranger. I love the mix of history (Civil War, WWII, etc.) and nature. But I sure wouldn't want to be out there during hurricane season !

Wendy

Wendy,

Fort Pickens certainly is a great spot to spend some time. Now that we have had some experience working for a National Park, I would have no problems working at Fort Pickens. The beach is probably the finest one will find anywhere and the sunsets are to die for! I agree, for hurricane season, the panhandle is not a prime location!!

Back
Top Bottom