Turn signal camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrod013

I know some RVs come with the turn signal cameras so you can see down the side when you put on the signal. Is it possible to add these to an RV that does not come with them?  I think they are a great feature.

Yes.  Camping World can do it, but it is a case by case, some RV's aren't designed where it is feasible, most are.  It is a great idea, and very useful. 

Orick said:
Yep, it's a great feature and I love it.  I'm not sure how I could change lanes without it.

Rick

The ones on my Bounder have a camera with a lens that's too wide an angle to get much detail, and when the angle with the sun is wrong they're totally useless. I actually get a lot better view with the mirrors, and wish I could disable them, leaving the monitor on the rear camera. Perhaps there are some out there that don't suffer these limitations, though.

I totally agree with " and when the angle with the sun is wrong they're totally useless" Good mirrors beat camera's that I have used. My opinion is that  vehicles meant  to tow should come with good mirrors. 

The side view can be great (except for the lighting conditions noted), but losing the rear view is not so great. It's a mixed bag. Whether rear or side view is more helpful depends on just where the traffic is located.

The side view cameras should always be used as a back up to the side view mirror. However, my camera have a MUCH wider view area than the mirrors. This is particularly helpful on multi lane freeways. Often a car will be coming up from behind me two or three lanes over and moving into the lane that I am changing into, regardless that my signal is on. The camera can cause me to hesitate to ensure that we are not going to meet be "accident".  I wouldn't travel without them.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I can understand the sun and lighting issue.  The side cameras would be an additional aid in changing lanes. The mirrors would be used first. Have relied on mirrors for 45 years, so it is a habit that I would not wish to break, even if I could!!  Same goes for backing. Will have someone outside guiding me and in communication. Our plan is to get a Winnebago Vectra and we are hoping that these side cameras can be installed.

I'm building my own. Hardest part is figuring out a good housing for the cameras.

yfx4 said:
I'm building my own. Hardest part is figuring out a good housing for the cameras.

Scott, do the cameras mount towards the front and point back, or do they mount toward the top and point down? I havn't seen side view cameras before.

alrod013 said:
I know some RVs come with the turn signal cameras so you can see down the side when you put on the signal. Is it possible to add these to an RV that does not come with them?  I think they are a great feature.

you could use two backup camera's and DIY it? I put one on the bumper of our family sedan and it works great, I don't see a problem with putting them on the side instead.

Water Dog said:
Scott, do the cameras mount towards the front and point back, or do they mount toward the top and point down? I havn't seen side view cameras before.

The ones I have seen mount near the front of the coach about (+/-) the height of the top of the wheel well. I plan to try different locations. My thought was to mount them high and forward so they were aimed somewhat down to avoid glare. I figure the 'pros' have tried different spots so I will probably end up putting them where most are though.

AverageBOB said:
you could use two backup camera's and DIY it? I put one on the bumper of our family sedan and it works great, I don't see a problem with putting them on the side instead.

Exactly. I have designed an automatic switch for the cameras to avoid having to manually switch the input. My monitor does not have input triggers except for channel 'A' and I am too tight to buy a new monitor. :eek:

Yeah I was thinking of a way to make a switch that was automatic but couldn't so I didn't mention any ideas on that.
I would use the output from the camera's and something like those AV input switch boxes for tv's but that would need to be switched manually.
I'm not very refined in electrical stuff.

I've done a fair amount of electronics. This is my first video project so we'll see how it goes.

Why not get the cameras that are already housed? you could seal them up and run the wires through a hole UNDER their casing?

You are absolutely right. It would be easier and probably cheaper to do it that way.

That approach, however, will deny me the opportunity to flex my brain and say, "I did it myself."  ??? :eek: 8) Additionally, I will have the chance to learn about a bunch of stuff I knew nothing about. And I like making things.  ;D

yfx4 said:
Hardest part is figuring out a good housing for the cameras.

Maybe you could find a couple of small (electric?) automotive side view mirrors at the junk yard, knock out the mirror and mount the cameras in the housings....then you would have pan & tilt.

Water Dog said:
Maybe you could find a couple of small (electric?) automotive side view mirrors at the junk yard, knock out the mirror and mount the cameras in the housings....then you would have pan & tilt.

Interesting idea--I had not considered that route.......Hmmmmmm........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom