Looking for new 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

braydenspoppa

Hello everyone!!!

Our young family is looking to move up from a 17' 1971 Lark.
We happened to stumble across something today and wanted to get some opinions.
We looked at a Puma by Palomino 249-RBSS, single slide out 26.5' 2006 5th wheel.
The dealer was asking $18727.
Does this seem like a reasonable price?
Since this is our first experience with a camper this large, should we start with an older model?
I have a '05 F150 with the 5.4 and the 3.73 gears.
I'll have this truck for another year and then I'm pretty sure I will be getting at least a new F250 or F350 with a PowerStroke.

Any thoughts??
Thanks for the advice!!

--Andre

That trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating of 8120 lbs.  Your current truck has a tow rating of around 9500 lbs.  We like to discount tow ratings by 10% if you are towing in the eastern half of the US, 15-20% in the mountain and Pacific west --- hills and altitude.  That rating puts you OK in the east, slightly under in the west.  You would be happier with an F-250/350 diesel.  Based on the timing you mention, your scheme should be do-able -- unless you live in Colorado.  ;D

We looked at a Puma by Palomino 249-RBSS, single slide out 26.5' 2006 5th wheel.
The dealer was asking $18727.
Does this seem like a reasonable price?

What is the MSRP for this unit and what extras, if any, are included in the price? E.g. 5W hitch, tax/tag/title, etc.  Try for 20% or more under the MSRP. You may not be able to get that much in all areas or from all dealers, but chances are some dealer will discount that much or more.  I would say a 10% discount off MSRP is the very minimum and 15% should be easily obtainable.  Don't be afraid to walk away and shop around in other cities or even states - your warranty is good at any dealer and many Rv components (e.g. appliances) have separate warranties anyway.  Do some searching online for dealers with the model you like.

Back
Top Bottom