EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tires just wonít hold air.  (Read 40 times)

JoeandJane

• ---
  • Zimmerman MN
Tires just wonít hold air.
« on: Today at 04:17:12 PM »
Long story short, a couple years ago I had my (then favorite) mechanic talk me into installing some extensions to my rear duallies to make them easier to access.  I have had nothing but problems with them holding air since.  Had them back to him numerous times to fix them.  Last year had a blowout and now 6 new tires, but alas the rears still donít hold air.  Checked them today and one was virtually flat.  I do have a monitoring system but have not yet installed it because of these continuing problems.  How do I determine a QUALIFIED tech to take them to?  Take them to Camping World?  Truck service center?  Ideally I would like new and dependable extensions installed, or if those are just impractical, go back to the old way.
'04 Minnie Winnie 31C, and yes my questions are about this unit unless otherwise noted.
'14 BMW K1600GTL Exclusive
'11 Suzuki DR 650 Alaska Trip Bike
'13 KTM 250 XCW

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Tires just wonít hold air.
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:42:34 PM »
Tire shop techs are often sadly lacking in any real knowledge - they learn on the job and get little training in why a tire is inflated to some particular pressure or how to find problems.

Is this on your Minnie Winnie 31c?  What extensions are you using (brand & type)? Do all six tires lose air?  Does the air loss stop when you remove the extensions? What are you trying to achieve with the extensions?  Better access to the outer dual valve stem or something more than that?

Are you aware that you do not have to have the outer dual valve mounted in the usual awkward manner? That is done simply to make it easier to rotate a wheel to a different position, something you rarely (if ever) need to do.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Corky

• ---
Re: Tires just wonít hold air.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:59:06 PM »
Long story short, a couple years ago I had my (then favorite) mechanic talk me into installing some extensions to my rear duallies to make them easier to access.  I have had nothing but problems with them holding air since.  Had them back to him numerous times to fix them.  Last year had a blowout and now 6 new tires, but alas the rears still donít hold air.  Checked them today and one was virtually flat.  I do have a monitoring system but have not yet installed it because of these continuing problems.  How do I determine a QUALIFIED tech to take them to?  Take them to Camping World?  Truck service center?  Ideally I would like new and dependable extensions installed, or if those are just impractical, go back to the old way.

From what I'm reading, and with limited information looks to me the extensions are the culprit. You stated that the problems started after you installed them,so I'd start there.
Good luck.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G
í15 Jeep Wrangler Orange toad
'86 Suzuki Samurai Camo dirt toad

Hosted by Over The Network