ZUNIJAYNE AND HERO COME TO TEXAS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

[size=12pt]Howdy, Framily.
ZuniJayne and Hero have arrived in Richardson, Texas, after some mishaps and repairs on the road. They are in their Artic Fox trailer, parked at Ron and Shirley Marabito's house. Ron's 40 ft. Wanderlodge is next to the Fox and this makes for an interesting picture.

Jayne's trailer is in need of some repairs and TLC. Ron has graciously agreed to help Jayne, utilizing his extensive experience as an architect and in construction. Jack is supplying his experience in electric and electronic matters. Shirley supervised placement of the Fox in the driveway and prepared a most welcome hearty lunch for us. Texas hospitality is her middle name. For myself, Jayne has asked for some organization ideas to be used in her house on wheels.

Jack and I have our house on wheels parked at East Fork Park(COE) at Lake Lavon, TX. Our Wanderlodge is still having engine stumbling problems which have to addressed when we leave here .

I hope to upload some photos. Ron used his Lexus SUV to do the final placement of Jayne's trailer. Both Jayne and Ron did a good job getting the trailer in his driveway and placed so that Ron's Wanderlodge could come back into it's parking place in the driveway.

Liz Pearce
[size]

Looking forward to the pictures. Also pictures and documentation of the repairs - I love to see people's RVs torn apart and put back together.

Wendy
sunny San Clemente State Beach

Hi all:  I have attached an image of the group having lunch, as well as, images of the the damage to the slide-out exterior wall below the floor.

I believe we can successfully treat the rot and then re-build about 60% of the wood with epoxy putty.  I will attempt to replace the balance of the wood with new treated lumber and some more of the epoxy putty.  When that is done, I will fiberglass the rear side up to the floor and then finish the bottom off with the original plastic channel trip.  The 4th image is taken at the forward edge of the wheel well.  Very poor construction in my opinion.

We plan to celebrate Thanksgiving here.  We are waiting on materials delivery and messing with some other small projects inside the trailer.

Attachments

• Arctic FoxCRW_2527-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2527-1 small.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2517-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2517-1 small.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2518-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2518-1 small.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2520-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2520-1 small.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 195
Jayne, at 7PM last night at China King, Estelle and I looked around and you weren't there --we really did think of you.

We're glad you're with framily for Thanksgiving. Karen, Chris and the boys are will be here while Pili's dad arrives today and will be with them this week. We'll do desert with them on Thursday.

Ron, good pics and report on the project!

Thanks Bob.  By the time the materials arrive, the weather is going to turn, so don't know how the progress will be.  I'm going to have to put a tarp over the slide-out to keep everything dry.

Howdy, Framily.

More photos of the project.

Ron installed shelf supports in one of the Fox's closets.
Jayne relocated her microwave.
The two rigs in one driveway.
Ginger.
Lunch.
Jack, electronics expert at work.

Regards,
Liz

Attachments

• Chow Is On (Small).JPG
    Chow Is On (Small).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 140
  • GINGER (Small).JPG
    GINGER (Small).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 127
  • JACK (Small).JPG
    JACK (Small).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 106
  • LUNCH (Small).JPG
    LUNCH (Small).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 106
  • MicroMoved (Small).JPG
    MicroMoved (Small).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Rons Shop (Small).JPG
    Rons Shop (Small).JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 154
  • SCOOTER (Small).JPG
    SCOOTER (Small).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 142
  • TWO RIGS (Small).JPG
    TWO RIGS (Small).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 149
  • WrkInPrgrs (Small).JPG
    WrkInPrgrs (Small).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 142
Here is an update on the Arctic Fox.  I got under there this morning and removed the Luan Plywood from the back side of the wall for the slide, which is below the floor.  This Luan is only 1/8" thick.  I plan to replace the Luan, but I also have to extend it behind the slide mechanism.  The only way to do that is to remove the angle that supports the floor and retract the slide mechanism. 

I plan to either block up the slide and then remove the mechanism or pull the slide in about 3/4 of the way and let it  rest there, as it appears to simply slide and rest on the carpet.  If I bring it in, I have much less room to work as I will have to do all the repairs in that position.  I think I will support it in the full out position.  In order to properly re-align the mechanism when I finish, I will spray paint the edges of the plates and bolts.

I've attached a sketch section of the lower wall to show you the construction.  Note: that the bottom channel that I thought capped the bottom, is only a metal angle trim and does not extend up the back side of the wall.  I hadn't seen it until yesterday.

If any of you have a better approach, let me know as I won't begin this work until mid-week, and that depends on the weather.

Attachments

• Section - Slide out repair small.jpg
    Section - Slide out repair small.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2529-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2529-1 small.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2532-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2532-1 small.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 99
  • small.jpg
    small.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 92
Since we completed putting fixed shelves in two of Jayne's closets, I worked on her Pantry today.  Built three drawers and installed three sets of slides.  I couldn't put the drawers in today because the adhesive is not fully set.  They will go in tomorrow.  Images are attached.

I hope materials for treating the wood come in tomorrow.  Will decide also on how to support the slide while I am working on it.

Attachments

• Arctic FoxCRW_2540-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2540-1 small.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2542-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2542-1 small.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2546-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2546-1 small.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 98
Howdy, Framily.

Ron does really nice work doesn't he? . Jack replaced a one light fixture with a two light fixture(which Jayne had) on the bathroom ceiling in Jayne's trailer. This morning, Jayne and I emptied out that pantry!!  Lotsa stuff!! Shirley keep us well fed so we have energy to continue!!

This project involves a lot of volunteer effort and Jayne has put in her share of "sweat equity"!!

Regards,
Liz

Ron -  We've been wanting to do something similar with our pantry in the new fifth wheel.  Are those shelf sliders widely available, perhaps as Lowe's or Home Depot?

Margi

Margi:    Those are normally side mount slides, but the way they are put together will allow you to put them in flat.  You must remember however that used this way, they will have a more limited carrying capacity.  These can be purchased from Home Depot.

Today was another day in this drama.  Jack Pearce did a little electrical install of lighting and ran errands.  He also found my problem in the window controls of my SUV.  He also assisted me in installing the drawers in the pantry.  I think Jayne and Liz re-stocked the pantry after that.

I did a search for some jack stands to support the slide on the trailer, but could not find anything suitable and most importantly affordable for Jayne.  I finally decided to use a weight lifting bench for the lower structure and spread the load with a 4x4.  On top of that, I used a couple of screw jacks that I have to support another 4x4 extended lengthwise under the slide and about 12" from the exterior wall to give me working room.  We then removed the slide mechanism.  Got about 1/2" of rebound in the mechanism meaning I will probably have to jack it back down on the end when I re-attach it.  Anyway, we are supported and stable.  I have attached photos showing the setup and also the back side of the wall with everything removed.

Treatment materials showed up today so we can start that work tomorrow.

Attachments

• Arctic FoxCRW_2547-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2547-1 small.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Arctic FoxCRW_2548-1 small.jpg
    Arctic FoxCRW_2548-1 small.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 106
I'm going to see if I have a remnant in my storage to replace the old carpet. I have a lot of pad, so that is no problem. See you all in am, Ernie

Ron,

You are going to have to add some credentials to artist/photographer...

I am really enjoying this major repair being documented. Lots of great information for those of us who like to know how stuff works and how to deal with it when it won't.

Keep up the good work!

Kim

Today we treated the rotted wood with CPES, an epoxy material designed to kill the fungus and solidify the pulpy wood.  Ernie Ekberg had come over to volunteer for the day and he was a great help in getting this treatment done.  He painted flat surfaces and I treated the solid wood with injections.  We did a double treatment and used about 24 oz. of mixed CPES.  No photos today.

We will let this work for a couple of days and then go back and treat with epoxy resin to bind and fill voids in the wood.  I hope to get all the layers of plywood back together along the lower edge of the slide with the resin.  After that, I will start building the members back up to their original shapes and add new lumber along the bottom at the wheel well.  I am hoping to have this done by mid-week or earlier next week.  We have a Wanderlodge Holiday get together December 3rd, 4th and 5th.  I hang a photo show on the 6th and hopefully finish the project a few days following that.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and we are enjoying it with Jayne Murray, Jack & Liz Pearce, Shirley my wife, who is working her butt off preparing the meal, her son Chad and my daughter Rebecca.  Happy Thanksgiving to all of Framily and their friends.

Ron, Shirley, Liz and Jack are truly angels from heaven (and Ernie with HIS help).  With my physical and mental challenges I can't be as much help as I'd like for Ron.  However, Liz keeps me busy with some serious organizing of the closets and other space I do have.  ;D

Jack has done several electrical projects for me, including adding a small inverter to the 12v wiring in my bedroom so I can use my seriously loud and insistent 120v AC alarm clock that has three different alarms.  I believe I can also run my CPAP off that small inverter using the manufacturer-supplied 12v cord.  I boondock/dry camp 90% of the time and that will help a lot.

On the home front, Shirley has been making sure the team has a proper mid-day meal and has cooked and run me around on errands.

After getting the pacemaker this spring, my health has improved a lot and I can't stand to live in clutter and "trails" through the Fox any more.  Having all this wonderful help is a truly life-changing experience!  I can't thank these folks enough - I can only hope to "pay it forward."  ;D

Back
Top Bottom