Oxygen tank refilling on the road.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gigi

Hi Everyone,  I'm new to the forum.  We are in the process of deciding which motorhome to purchase.  We have an adult child and a large German Shepherd who travel with us making for certain requirements in making our decision.  So far we know we have to have a class c with bunk over cab and twin beds in the back so we aren't always putting a bed up or taking it down.  It also has to be easy enough for our myself and daughter to get into and out of.  She has been on oxygen for 9 years and loves to travel.  Our problem is to fit her wheelchair somewhere not in the way, carry extra tanks of oxygen, and how do others get the E tanks refilled on the road. We do have a concentrator for home use but when we go on adventures we have to use the portable tanks.  We had a HR Alumalite which we liked real well, but with everything and everyone who travels with us we need more room.  We carried the wheelchair in the sparetire holder on the back of the HR.  So far we're down to an Itasca or Chateau.......for different reasons......have to weigh the options and give and take to get to a descision.  Anyone having other suggestions we'd love to hear from you.  Thanks for being here for all us newbies.

Hi Gigi,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  We are glad you found us.

I have not had any experience with requiring oxygen or refilling oxygen bottle while traveling but I can pass on what I have seen or heard.  We have a gentleman in the park right now that was just commenting that They have a concentrator they take in their MH which can be operated when they are on shore power or if necessary they run the generator.  Here in the park they have an oxygen service exchange full toans for the empty tanks.  I believe he mentioned that if they required refilling tanks they would contact would phone a company that provides that service in a city that they plan to overnite in an make arrangements to either have tanks delivered or they wo to pick them up.  I will ask for more details the next time I see him now and get back to you.  Others in our framily may have more detailed information.

Please feel free to join in any of the discussions or start a new topic.  Once again welcome to the RV Forum.

Gigi,

Contact your supplier and they should be able to give you contacts.  Also when you need O2, contact a local hospital or pharmacy and find out the local suppliers.  I had to do this a few years ago when transporting my father.  It worked for me.

Jim

gigi said:
Hi Everyone,? I'm new to the forum.? We are in the process of deciding which motorhome to purchase.? We have an adult child and a large German Shepherd who travel with us making for certain requirements in making our decision.? So far we know we have to have a class c with bunk over cab and twin beds in the back so we aren't always putting a bed up or taking it down.? It also has to be easy enough for our myself and daughter to get into and out of.? She has been on oxygen for 9 years and loves to travel.? Our problem is to fit her wheelchair somewhere not in the way, carry extra tanks of oxygen, and how do others get the E tanks refilled on the road. We do have a concentrator for home use but when we go on adventures we have to use the portable tanks.? We had a HR Alumalite which we liked real well, but with everything and everyone who travels with us we need more room.? We carried the wheelchair in the sparetire holder on the back of the HR.? So far we're down to an Itasca or Chateau.......for different reasons......have to weigh the options and give and take to get to a descision.? Anyone having other suggestions we'd love to hear from you.? Thanks for being here for all us newbies.

Gigi,

I talked to a gentalman in the park that is on oxygen and travels in an RV.  He indicated there was no problem filling the tanks while traveling.  He uses a company called Apria to supply oxygen.  He indicated they have outlets all accross the US and locations can be found in their booklet or on line at:
http://www.apria.com/home/

He also indicated they have a concentrator they use when power is available either Generator or shore power.

Hope this helps.  Please let us know if Apria are able to help you.

Ron and Jim ~

Thanks for the info.? Our home supplier is coming up with zero answers for us so we really appreciate your input.? I will contact Apria as we have a branch 30 miles from our house.? Sounds great ! Thanks again.?

We ended up ordering a Class C Itasca which should be here the middle of May.? Hope to meet you on the road one day.?

Gigi

Congratulations on ordering the Clss C Motorhome.

From what the gentalman I takled to here in the park Apria works very well for them.  Let use know what you fond out.

Back
Top Bottom