rv living while in school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alisonamerica

Hi. What a great forum.  I'm thinking of full-time rving when I go to graduate school. I am looking for your thoughts on this idea. I've looked into the cost and see that it is not remarkably less than a cheap apt in FL. But the difference is that I'll have something compared to renting where I'll have nothing after 5 years of school. Also I'm thinking of a 5th wheel or TT so I can have a vehicle to drive and less cost compared to class A. Also won't be traveling much because of school; I'll be permanently living at the campgrounds but what a great why to take vacations on a college budget. Plan to rent an RV for a week or so to get a feel for it. I'm doing a ton of research and trying to crunch the numbers but since I don't know anyone who rv's I was hoping to get some feedback on my grand scheme.  Thanks for the great website.

Typical RV is not designed for parking in one spot for years at a time.  Have you considered a park model?  Home appliances, and still on the smallish side.

Welcome to the forum Alison!  Glad you found us here.

I can see where buying an RV might seem attractive to you but you are wise to do a lot of research.  You've already learned that park fees aren't all that much cheaper than rent in many cases and park fees are just the beginning.  If you buy a trailer large enough to live in your tow vehicle will need to be something fairly stout... and that will be your every day transportation.  You could be looking at very low MPG.  In addition, there is a great deal to learn about maintaining and traveling safely with an RV.  It's easy to spend a good deal of money keeping them roadworthy.

Donn has a pretty good suggestion which might work well for you.  If you haven't seen a modern Park Model you should check out a few.  You could have something you own and yet could move it to another part of the country if the need arises by hiring someone to do it.

Best of Luck to You...

Rick

I disagree because I am doing something similiar. I bought a 26' TT and find it very comfortable. It all depends on the floor plan I think personally. I love the fact that my bedroom is private from my living area. So far, it has proven to be more economical than renting and like you said, after its paid for, its mine! I am on a permanent site so towing is not an issue for now, although that is my next purchase and I am thinking about fifth wheels already! Just myself and my dog so privacy and space has not been an issue plus I love the relaxed lifestyle. Even was good when the gf was still in the picture with me being a day time sleeper. Winterization (the continue to camp style vs the storing it for winter) is crucial. Will want to protect water lines and underneath the trailer. Someone mentioned not being meant to be parked for extended periods (years). You will deifnately want to consider options for ventilation under the trailer to cut back on moisture affecting the frame. I am going with skirting with basement style vents that can be opened in the summer and closed in the winter. My lot is gravel but will also consider ground cover to limit moisture. Good luck in your journeys!
After thought...Costs right now are running me 750/month RV payment, 375/month camp fee, electric, and propane (get a 100 gallon tank delivered!) After Feb, RV is paid in full and April 1st, go to annual rate which is 2400/yr! So essentially 200/month plus electric is not too shabby in my book.

I've lived in mine going on 4 years and everything has held up very well.
A few minor repairs but nothing extravagant except the repair on the ac
cause it was not something I could do myself. Much cheaper than renting
an apt, and a whole lot quieter than some apt complex with neighbors
overhead stomping around.

Back
Top Bottom