Electrical system trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please confirm that those batteries are indeed deep cycle.  750 amps sounds like 750 CCA, Cold Cranking Amps, which is a rating for starting batteries.  Deep cycle batteries are rated either in Amp-Hours, or XX Minutes at a 25 amp discharge rate.

Starting and deep cycle batteries are two very different animals.  Deep cycle batteries have thick plates that can withstand slow, heavy discharges.  Starting batteries have thin, porous plates that can deliver a lot of power all at once but will quickly fail in deep cycle use.

Will do.  Thanks very much for your prompt reply.  May be part of the troubles...

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just got back from holidays with my Bro. What do you think about the optimus gel cell batteries. Think they would be any good for RV use? I know the older ones were like TANKS of power storage. Had one of the first ones in my dads old 72 Chev pickup. I havent gotten back to checking on the converter yet but it is on the list for this week. I will know more then. My pantry is full so thats going to take some time to clean out. :-[

I don't think much of Optimas - they are on the small side for the space they occupy and typically quite expensive. There are better AGM-type batteries on the market, in my opinion.  Lifeline and Trojan make some of the best deep cycle AGM battteries, in my opinion.

A more cost effective battery solution is to get 6v, flooded cell, golf cart batteries and hook them in series pairs to make 12v batteries out of them. They are very durable, store lots of power and cost much less than AGMs.

Optimas are a good battery for rugged use where they get beat around or spend some of there life upside down, such as off road use, snowmobiles, or Sea-Doos where they are pounded on rough water. BUT they cost a lot compared to others.

An Optima is just one brand of an AGM type of battery. Not the best, just the most advertised and most widely sold in parts stores. The cool-looking cylindrical cells usually net out to less lead and less electrolyte than a conventional rectangular battery, so you  often get less amp hours (or reserve minutes) than a similarly priced rectangular AGM battery.  Compare the specs and the prices before you buy.

Lifeline AGM Batteries
Trojan AGM Batteries

My position on Optima is that they are roughly 3/4 battery 1/4 air (73%/27% as I recall) so you pay 4/3 the money for 3/4 the battery.

Thus, not a good choice for an RV

Very good choice for a 4-runner or wave-runner or other vehicle of hte "Send for you kidneys later" type.  but if you are driving your RV like that dead batteries are going to be the least of your concerns.

As I have noted on a few of my posts, RV wiring is poor to incompetent, bundles of wiring and unsecured wires looped under the belly of the trailer.  Class A's are better, because the chassis is produced by people who sell to transit and other more strict customers.  I'm a Quality Assurance inspector for bus, wheelchair vehicles, but mostly passenger rail and subway cars.

I've friggin given up on getting good wiring on a travel trailer or 5th wheel.  I will be cleaning up the rats nest wiring in the front of my 5-er in the Spring, and will be installing a UPS battery or 2 like  http://www.ragebattery.com/power-sonic/D5874.html .  I know this system and this battery will not work for a Class A or C, but the purpose of a trailer battery is different than those in the motor homes.  The listed battery is a 100Ah, and I'm actually looking at a similar one with 200Ah.  Because they do not require venting, and can be mounted on end, I'll actually gain space in the basement.

I'll let ya know how it all works out, before and after pictures of the wiring mess and all.

johncmr

I'm having a problem with the lights dimming on my 2004 Prowler. The 12V lights have been noted to slowly dim then suddenly return to brightness usually in conjunction with the start up of a fan noise from the area of the converter.  Has anyone had a similar experience? I have had the converter checked and it was reported to be producing good power and operating normally. Any ideas?  Thanks. 

Back
Top Bottom