Proper Title/Registration for TV in TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougar3514v

When I was titling my F-350 (Tennessee), the woman behind the counter pulled out a set of standard issue passenger car plate.  I stopped her and told her that I would be towing a fifth-wheel trailer and that my GCW will be around 19000 pounds.  She said, "No problem."  I'm curious.  Is there really no problem?  This is my first fifth-wheel set up, and I want to make sure I'm getting it right.  We plan to tow a Keystone Cougar 309EFS (GVWR of 11780 pounds).

-Dave

I don't have personal knowledge of Tennesee law, but this is prettty much universal: Your trailer is separately licensed and pays for its own GVW. Your truck license covers only the truck's GVWR, not truck + trailer. 

And if your use is private rather than commercial, many states use a passenger car title/registration for pick-up trucks.  Apparently TN is one of them.

Live in Memphis. Both my truck F350 - (CVWR 13,000 Lbs / GCWR 26,000 Lbs) and trailer Everest 364Q (Dry 13,200 Lbs) are licensed seperately. Neither is commercial. They (DMV) tried to get me to put commercial plates on the trailer, told them NO. It's a travel trailer, it is for the personal use of me and my family, and will not be rented, leased, etc. so why commercial tags? Got regular plates for it also.

Larry

Thanks for the help!  I just became worried when a friend of mine who hauls cattle trailers with his F-350 told me that under law he's required to get the 20K plates.  Apparently he needs to go through inspections and such when he makes the trip from TN to VA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom