New Kitchen Sink & Backsplash!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orick

We've never been happy with the kitchen sink area in our Winnie.  We're currently set up for a couple of months in Sacramento (near where we sold our home of 25 years 15 months ago) and I have the tools in our storage unit available to me and our site is flat and concrete so the conditions were right to take it on. 

We felt that the sink was too small and made of that RV plastic which is so easy to stain.  We didn't like the hi-glare florescent light above the sink, and I was really disappointed in Winnie for not including anything for a backsplash other than a 1.5" glued on strip of the "Corian" type countertop material.  The wallpaper was already beginning to peel from getting wet.

We made the following modifications:  1) replaced the sink with a residential size (33x22) granite composite sink... 2) installed a "counter to cabinet" backsplash using "Aspect Metal Tile"... 3) replaced florescent with recessed halogen puck lights... 4) added hidden accent rope light above the sink... 5) added "instant near boiling water heater/dispenser"... 6) added dish detergent dispenser... 7) retained the filtered drinking water dispenser which feeds the ice maker and now the instant hot water tank.

I still have a couple of trim pieces to take care of but it's nearly there and momma loves her new sink!  We really love the Aspect Metal Tile.  At $20 a sq ft is's sure not cheap.  It's pretty new stuff available at HD or Lowes.  We used a Herringbone pattern which required a good bit of cutting.
I used my 10" compound miter sliding chop saw with an 84 tooth Diablo blade designed for cutting non ferous metals.  It worked great but I'd probably suggest building a wooden "fence" before you get started because the tiles are fairly small and it puts your fingers pretty close to the blade on those 45 degree cuts.  The tile comes with self adhesive on them but I didn't trust it for a coach so used Liquid Nails constructive adhesive and it all dried solid as a rock. 

Next project is to replace the bathroom sink and counter with a Vessel Sink and to use the same Aspect tile for a backsplash and "top splash" above the shower. 

Rick

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 425
  • after2.JPG
    after2.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 451
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 419
Thanks Dennis... we lived in Granite Bay for 25 years before selling last Sept and going full time. 
We're back in town for another month or so taking care of Dr, Dentist and Vet appointments before making a bee line to Arizona for Christmas with the Grandbabies.

Cal Expo where we're staying now has a one month max so we'll be moving up the Placer Co fairgrounds in Roseville on Wednesday.

Take care,

Rick

Great job on the sink!  I especially like the herringbone backsplash.

At least my Fox came with a clear plastic backsplash around the stove on both sides.  It's about a foot tall.

Thanks Jayne... Backsplashes weren't something we were looking for when shopping for a new coach but it is disappointing that Winnie didn't include at least something to keep water off of the wallpaper behind the kitchen AND bathroom sinks as well as the area just above the shower.

Oh well, it keeps my project list from becoming empty!  ;)

Rick

That backsplash is BEAUTIFUL.  I can just see some new projects coming along for Tom, and the sink too.  ;D  But I LOVE that backsplash.  If we hadn't used tile in our kitchen remodel and I had seen that, it would likely be that instead.  Wow!

Thanks Sarge and Carolyn.  I'm just now finishing the final trim and we like it more each day.  I think right after the holidays I'm going to tackle the bathroom and plan to use the same tile and pattern.

Rick

Rick,

How were your old sink and cabinets attached at the wall? L-brackets, cleats, or directly screwed to the studs? And did you have to do anything special to seal against the wall?

Not ever having seen one put together, I am trying to visualize how it comes apart!

Kim

Hi Kim...

I didn't have to detatch the cabinet from the wall.  The old sink was plastic and mounted from the bottom, glued to the bottom of the Corian countertop.  I had to chisel it loose and broke some of the Corian in the process but just those parts which were to be cut out for the bigger sink.

Wall preparation involved washing the wall board well... two coats of Kilz Original Oil Based Primer/Sealer sealed the wall... tiles are self adhesive but I also used Liquid Nails construction adhesive to secure each tile.  Silicone caulk was used to seal the countertop to the wall and the sink to the counter top.  Technically, there is not a seal between each tile but the wall behind it is sealed.  The tile mfgr says you can use a sandless grout on it, or even caulk but I don't think it's necessary.

Rick

Hi Rick-
Just found this thread and am in love with your backsplash! Now that it is several months "down the road," is it holding up well? Any problems with adhering during travel?
Thanks!
Linda

Hi Linda.  Glad you like the backsplash.

It's holding up well and we love it.  Using Liquid Nails adhesive was a good plan.  That stuff in on there to stay.  I'm not sure how well it would hold up if you only use the sticky back adhesive it come with.  The realy drawback here is the cost.  At $20/sq ft it's pricey.  You also need to have a good solution for cutting the tiles.  I used a 10" power chop saw with a good ($70) non-ferous metal cutting blade.

good luck...

Rick

Rick, I probably should have offered back in November when you were doing the work, but if you are ever in the Roseville area and need tools, I have a shop full of woodworking tools and am about 5 minutes from Placer County Fair Grounds. If there is ever a need, just shoot me an e-mail.

Thanks so much Dennis.  I worked out there at HP for many years and the fairgrounds is now our favorite place to stay when back in town visiting friends.  I'll keep it in mind!

Rick

Just checking online, Home Depot has the Aspect tiles $5.00 a box cheaper than Lowes: $14.92 as opposed to $19.92 - that helps!

LindaCW said:
Just checking online, Home Depot has the Aspect tiles $5.00 a box cheaper than Lowes: $14.92 as opposed to $19.92 - that helps!

That's a great price Linda. 

Just a note.... use of the herringbone pattern looks nice but really adds to the "waste" in the project.  I'm sure a standard brick pattern would be more economical but we wanted the look of the herringbone.  The tile design is pretty cool in that it has "grain" which reflects light differently depending on the angle so it's look changes as you move about the coach.

Rick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom