Amazon Kindle or Sony E-reader?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill ~~ Did not look too close but seemed like more than from Amazon HOWEVER was a package promo deal and not sure what all was included ($179 for the 3g /  wi-fi?) IIRC.  Went in for something welse so not paying too much attention.  ~~  Kate

Just looked on line Amazon 3g/wifi $189  ~ my error

I was in Best Buy today, and couldn't resist looking over the shoulder of a lady who was looking at the Nook. Saw the Kindle, but didn't pay a lot of attention. They also had the PanDigital (sp?); Nice looking machine but, as I previously suspected, it has a TFT screen (no good in daylight).

I also haven't paid too much attention to comparative book prices, but two examples of recent book puchases were interesting:

• A book I recommended over on the Fishing board recently cost me $9.99 for the Nook. Amazon doesn't offer a Kindle version, and only offers the hard cover for $147  :eek:
  • A book I recommended to Ned cost me $9.99 for the Nook. Amazon Kindle price is $12.99  :eek:
I'd previously made the Nook decision based on some prior research and criteria, none of which I still have around here. But, based on my limited sample above .... you decide.

I'm waiting for the next round of Android-based tablets in 1Q2011. I want a reasonable reader + basic internet access in a mid-priced tablet .

I tried a Lenovo ideaPad (converts from netbook to tablet with a flip of the screen) this past weekend, adding the Adobe epub reader application. As a reader it is decent, but the computer is heavy for just reading (2.75 lbs).  However it's a full PC running Win 7, with all the pluses and minuses that implies. You can run any PC appl on it.  A great choice if you want a small PC that can display books, but not so great if you want a reader than can go online once in awhile.

Am getting ready to read the thread that Tom recommended.

Enjoyed the comments so far in this thread and I thank you. Are Tom's observations that the Nook has downloaded lower prices versus the Kindle reflective of pricing in general?  If I can save 10 to 20% on downloading that would be a factor.

Also, I have had the PC Kindle for some time.  Amazon tells me I can move books back and forth between the PC and Kindle at no extra charge. Is tis true?

Can I move books between PC Kindle and Sony?  I am suspecting not.

Is the Nook a Sony?  The Walmart door buster is for a Sony 300.

Smoky

The Nook is a Barnes and Noble Nook, not a Sony. You can download books to your PC and then move them to the Nook. I believe you can do the same thing with the Kindle.

Wendy

Smokey  ~~ I have 2 orig Kindle and Kindle for PC(2~S&B & laptop).  Can shuffle all I want no $$.  Often 'sample' one on PC the pick it up on which ever other unit I am reading on.  YMMV  ~~  Kate

Smoky,

I can't speak for prices in general. My sample of two were just the latest purchases I'd made, and the differences happened to significant.

The Nook is a Barnes & Noble device, not a Sony. One additional thing it can do is "lend" books to other Nook users, e.g. Chris might buy a book and, with a couple of clicks on the screen, can transfer the book to my Nook for IIRC 14 days.

Most/all of these e-readers are nice tools. As I told a couple in Best Buy yesterday, you really need to play with them all and get the one you feel comfortable with.

When we had lunch with Russ some weeks ago, he pulled out his iPad, and I thought Chris wasn't going to put it down. Nice hardware and an intuitive interface, but obviously costs more $$.

I still think we should have a "bring your eBook" gathering at Quartzsite so we can see all the ones Forumites have and compare notes and tips. Someone should do a seminar on eReaders at the FMCA and other rallies.

Wendy

I lusted after the Nook and Kindle until the prices came down to what I thought was reasonable (or at least in my budget). I'll lust after the iPad until it comes down into my price range...if it ever does.

Wendy

Maybe someone will do a seminar at QZ, or write one here? We'll then be able to make our own  ;D

[quote author=Wendy]You can download books to your PC and then move them to the Nook.[/quote]

Or download directly to Nook of course, as I believe you can with the Kindle.

Smoky,

Don't forget you can check The RV Forum on your Nook or any e-reader with a built-in web browser. See here

Did you see the new Barnes & Noble ad for the Nook? Click here.

Tom said:
Maybe someone will do a seminar at QZ, or write one here? We'll then be able to make our own  ;D 

Perhaps attendees could put together something at Qtz when we have everyone and all the options together in one place? with pictures and weblinks and tips?

Wendy

Thanks all for the additional quick replies.

I guess I am leaning away from the Wal-Mart door buster.  Everyone is mentioning Nook and Kindle but no one is mentioning the Sony.  Since amazon is offering 2 day free shipping I am leaning in that direction.  I wish I could wait until QZ for a "hands on banquet", LOL, but I have been waiting over a year to make up my mind.  I am not an early adopter but I now am convinced paper books are a real nuisance.  We have 2 cabinets full of books and I'd rather carry a library of thousands in the palm of my hand.

Do readers allow you to import txt files you create yourself using Word or Notepad?  This would be very useful for me.

Also can you add your own annotations to downloaded ebooks?

And also wondering if ebooks can hand music notation?  It would be nice to be able to download sheet music.

Really do appreciate this thread. Nice to know you can get help on a wide variety of subjects in addition to RVing.

Smoky

With my vision, there's no way I could comfortably read a book on something the size of a phone.

Everything you want to know about the Kindle can be found here.  There should be similar pages for the Nook and Sony readers as well.  It's best to get the system specifications from the manufacturers instead of user opinions as most users won't use, or often know, about all the features.

Well I sent in my order to Amazon for the new Kindle.  Thank you everyone for your ideas and comments.

Ned that page you just referred me to helped finalize my decision.

But also I value all the opinions I get here.  One thing to be remembered is that when a person is active on this forum and even more important goes to some of the rallies where we meet face to face, there is a lot of value in the opinions we get from this forum.  When you know people personally and especially have "face time" with them, you can gain tremendous insights from their opinions and comments.

That is why I treasure this forum.

Now I have to figure out how to get the books I already ordered for my PC Kindle on to the new Kindle when it arrives.  I am hopeful it lets me transfer my library.  But I worry that it may not know how to figure out I am the same owner of the books I purchased.

Smoky

The new Kindle will be registered to your account and you can download your books from Amazon to it.  If you have books obtained elsewhere than Amazon, use the USB connection to copy to your computer, then copy to the new Kindle the same way.  I keep all my books backed up on the computer as well as on the Kindle itself.  You control all your Amazon purchases from the "Manage Your Kindle" web page.

Ned:

Does it treat my PC Kindle as a different device than my Kindle?  If so, does it let me move books between the two devices at no charge?  Also what if I buy a Kindle for my wife?  Can I share books with her or does she have to buy her own.

I suspect there must be some safeguards or else people would never be buying books but would always be getting them free from friends.

It would be nice if Kindle lets you register devices for an account rather than each device on its own so you cold accumulate a family library like we do with paper books.

Smoky

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom