Installing wood on a flat floor slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie Ekberg

I just finished a project on a Newmar Dutch Star with the flat floor slide. The clients wanted wood everywhere- even on the slide. Since most flat floor slides have carpet with a loose bound edge, how  was I to accomplish this task? It took a lot of planning and relying on past work. Hope I can load a couple photos. Ernie

Attachments

• newmarnelson 001.JPG
    newmarnelson 001.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 444
  • newmarnelson 002.JPG
    newmarnelson 002.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 388
  • newmarnelson 003.JPG
    newmarnelson 003.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 383
Howdy, Ernie.

I really don't know anything about slides. When the slide is retracted in this Dutch Star, why doesn't the slide scratch the rest of the floor as the slide comes in?

TIA,
Liz

The flooring material is Bruce engineered oak. The trim is solid oak. I had to shave some of the trim to accommodate the slide. Liz, the slide raises in elevation and when extended it is "virtually flat"

When a slide is retracted in wet weather some moisture remains. With a rug it is absorbed and eventually dries...how will it affect the wood floor?

I did an experiment while installing a wood floor in  Indiana the past 2 months. I put a piece of engineered wood in some water and left it for 2 days. I saw a little discoloration on the plywood side, but no hint of any delamination, warping, or discoloration on the face. I believe that by using a towel to get up any moisture would be the best way to take care of any water.

Ernie, did the Newmar slide come in on rollers over the wood, or did it have flat metal runners that were meant to slide over the carpet like I have in the Fox?  I'd love to replace the carpet but I think the flat metal runners have to have the carpet to slide over.

Sarge- yes the wood was glued. Jayne- the runners you have a hard plastic. There doesn't seem to be rollers where the slide would impact the main house floor. Of course, since the mechanism was disconnected I could not observe how the slide articulates

Ernie - when we get the slide back together I'll post pictures of the slideout's sliding mechanism and how it comes up over rollers on the main body to get parallel to the floor to come in.

Jayne, I don't think the slide rides on the carpet.  The slide rides on the rollers all the way in.  Any contact with the carpet is just incidental.  At least that's the way mine works once I replaced the sagging floor section.

Ernie:

What did you do to cover up the front edge of the slide when it is retracted?

Jeff, I used a "T" moulding. It is adhered to the slide and it "floats" in the air when slide is retracted.

Lou, I bet you are right.  The metal runners on mine do press heavily on the carpet.  Now that you mention it, I have noticed the slideout floor does sag a bit.  I thought it might be from the dry rot in the front and back lower walls of the slideout, and the floor is no longer connected right. What did you do to fix your slideout floor?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom