Gladiator Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ratherwhalering

I purchased six Gladiator QR-55 All Position tires, size 245/70R19.5 tires from Les Schwab a few weeks ago and am very happy with them.  They are 16 ply, so the ride is a little stiff, but I have about 1k miles and so far I am very impressed.  The tread design is similar to the new Goodyear G949 RSA, and they replaced the Goodyear G159s.  My maiden voyage was down I-5 in California with a 30-40 knt. cross wind and driving rain.  I was impressed.  Smooth ride, stable, and sure-footed.  These tires are from a Chinese manufacturer, however the customer service for American Pacific Industries (API) was responsive to my questions and very helpful.  I requested written confirmation that the tires were appropriate and suitable for an RV and got it from the head of products.  I suppose the test of time will be the ultimate judge, however I am so far satisfied with the price, quality, and ride.

Do you have a copy of that confirmation letter you received?  I'd be curious to know how it's worded.  Were the tires specifically advertised as RV tires, or as some kind of all-purpose truck/RV product?

Wish they had my size - 295/80R22.5 LR H (16 ply). Best price I've been able to get is $2255 for four (that's "out the door", with mounting, balancing and all taxes/fees) for Continental HSR2's.

http://www.gladiatortires.com/

Scott, customer service stated that these were a general use tire and were appropriate for RV use.  The e-mail confirmation simply stated that the "Gladiator QR55 is suitable for RV."

The price was excellent, $1,460 for six tires, out the door.

Along with the email confirmation that the tires are RV worthy, were they able to confirm axle rating for your RV to make sure the tires can carry your specific weight?

Marsha~

Just read this post and wondered what the long-term report on these tires might be. ''Ratherhalering" have an update? I'm looking at buying these type.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Wish they had my size - 295/80R22.5 LR H (16 ply). Best price I've been able to get is $2255 for four (that's "out the door", with mounting, balancing and all taxes/fees) for Continental HSR2's.

http://www.gladiatortires.com/

Gary,

Check out Yokohoma's new 104ZR's. They now make a 295/80R22.5

Yokos have always been good truck tires and the 104ZRs are selling for quite a bit less the Continentals.

I tried to buy one for a tire a had to replace (a bad GY G670), but none of the Yoko dealers on the side side of Phoenix carried the 104ZR. There is a dealer on the far north side that does a lot of RV business and they are promoting the tire. If I was replacing more than one tire I probably would have driven the extra miles.

ken

Thanks for the tip, Ken. That was two years ago and I already bought the Conti's. But I'll look into the Yoko's when my fronts need replacing (not for a couple years yet, I hope). Yoko makes a good tire.

Know this is an old thread. But I also bought the same make of tires. But in 225/70R/19.5s for my steer tires. And there holding up great, handle better than the High $$ Toyo's I was running. If they hold up as good as they look to. I will be buying this brand when I need replacements in 3 years or so.

as long as you stay in "les scwab country" you will be well taken care of .their customer service is legendary .

I bought Gladiator QR-25 ST235/85R16  G rated  tires for my 2014 Big Country 3650RL fifth wheel trailer. One failed at 8,000 miles and 2 years of service. I have a TPMS with an audible low pressure alarm. I never heard it because of all the noise caused by the tire failure destroying my trailer. It caused several thousands of dollars of damage. They have never been run with less than 95 psi pressure. I carry an air compressor in my trailer. I bought these because three of the original Towmax tires failed. The first at 3,000 miles, the second at 8,000 miles, and the third was the spare which had 2,000 miles on it that I installed after the Gladiator tire failed. It never made it home, about 400 miles. Four Chinese tire failures in 16,000 miles and three years. I ran my trailer over the scales fully loaded and the combined axle weight is 11,400 lbs, 2850 lbs per tire. The Gladiator tire is rated at 3960 lbs and the Towmax at 3600 lbs. I was not even close to overloading these tires. I have failed eight Chinese tires in the last 8 years on two new travel trailers ( a 2009 Cherokee and a 2014 Big Country). I have concluded that China does not know how to make a trailer tire ( four different brands of Chinese tires). I plan to buy Goodyear G614 tires, made in the USA. Expensive but cheap compared to the damage to my trailer.

JoeK said:
I bought Gladiator QR-25 ST235/85R16  G rated  tires for my 2014 Big Country 3650RL fifth wheel trailer. One failed at 8,000 miles and 2 years of service. I have a TPMS with an audible low pressure alarm. I never heard it because of all the noise caused by the tire failure destroying my trailer. It caused several thousands of dollars of damage. They have never been run with less than 95 psi pressure. I carry an air compressor in my trailer. I bought these because three of the original Towmax tires failed. The first at 3,000 miles, the second at 8,000 miles, and the third was the spare which had 2,000 miles on it that I installed after the Gladiator tire failed. It never made it home, about 400 miles. Four Chinese tire failures in 16,000 miles and three years. I ran my trailer over the scales fully loaded and the combined axle weight is 11,400 lbs, 2850 lbs per tire. The Gladiator tire is rated at 3960 lbs and the Towmax at 3600 lbs. I was not even close to overloading these tires. I have failed eight Chinese tires in the last 8 years on two new travel trailers ( a 2009 Cherokee and a 2014 Big Country). I have concluded that China does not know how to make a trailer tire ( four different brands of Chinese tires). I plan to buy Goodyear G614 tires, made in the USA. Expensive but cheap compared to the damage to my trailer.

ST235/85R16F tires are rated at 3960# at 95 PSI.
ST235/80R16G tires are rated at 4080# at 110 PSI.

Without a speed rating stamped on their sidewalls both of the above tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 MPH.

Ratherwhalering said:
Scott, customer service stated that these were a general use tire and were appropriate for RV use.  The e-mail confirmation simply stated that the "Gladiator QR55 is suitable for RV."

The price was excellent, $1,460 for six tires, out the door.

And his email answer was correct. Because, all DOT certified highway tires can be used for RV trailer applications. BUT, there is a catch. Did you tell them you were going to use them to replace Original Equipment ST tires? If you send them another email with that information they will balk.

Ratherwhalering said:
I purchased six Gladiator QR-55 All Position tires, size 245/70R19.5 tires from Les Schwab a few weeks ago and am very happy with them.  They are 16 ply, so the ride is a little stiff, but I have about 1k miles and so far I am very impressed.  The tread design is similar to the new Goodyear G949 RSA, and they replaced the Goodyear G159s.  My maiden voyage was down I-5 in California with a 30-40 knt. cross wind and driving rain.  I was impressed.  Smooth ride, stable, and sure-footed.  These tires are from a Chinese manufacturer, however the customer service for American Pacific Industries (API) was responsive to my questions and very helpful.  I requested written confirmation that the tires were appropriate and suitable for an RV and got it from the head of products.  I suppose the test of time will be the ultimate judge, however I am so far satisfied with the price, quality, and ride.

I realize this post is very old but some may find it while doing their research.  Remember to check the speed ratings on tires.  The tire listed above is a 62 MPH speed rating (J).  Be sure that you are willing to never exceed that speed.

And be sure to check the date on the thread you are answering. Since this thread started in 2010 some or all of the tires and prices may no longer be valid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom