New Lens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brens

Hi Everyone,
My friend is selling a Tamron lens. It is a AF 11-18 MM. Also on the lens Aspherical LD DI #2 SP I don't know what this means. Can anyone give me any information
on this and give me a ballpark what they think it is worth? He is asking for 300.00 Thanks

What it means is that it is a ultra-wide angle lens.

$300 is probably a good deal given the current Amazon offerings for that lens.  Do try it out on your camera for things like excessive flare.

That lens is really a specialty lens that would only be of use to a really serious photographer. It is a very wide angle lens which is only really useful in a very few situations. If you have money to burn then go ahead and get it because it is about a $450 lens

Such a lens is fantastic for doing people shots, especially when in close proximity.  I would love to have it, but not for $300.  As Tom eluded, if you do a lot of this kind of photography it is great.  It is also good for extreme wide angle scenery without the fish-eye effect.  We have lots of photographers here, so I would expect to hear a few more opinions, soon.

I don't like doing people portraits with a wide angle, especially an extreme wide angle. You have to be too close to them and then it becomes hard to get a natural look. I prefer to use a telephoto and be 10 to 20 feet away and have them not realizing I am taking their photo. But it would be a great lens for scenics at the Grand Canyon or places like Yellowstone. My wide angle is 18-55 and I rarely even get to 18mm. Usually I am around 35mm. But everyones photography is different so Brenda if you think you will use it a lot then go for it, since it is a bargain. But that is probably why he is selling it, he probably didn't use it much.

seilerbird said:
That lens is really a specialty lens that would only be of use to a really serious photographer. It is a very wide angle lens which is only really useful in a very few situations. If you have money to burn then go ahead and get it because it is about a $450 lens

I agree with you Tom. I went to Corn springs this weekend and played with the lens, I would not use this lens a lot but I do think for the price that It would be a nice lens to add to my collection! I'm going to get it. Thanks for all the great advice.

Great Brenda! I am sure every time you do use it you will be thrilled you have it. It is exceptional at photographing entire buildings when you can't back up far enough to get it all in with a normal wide angle. It is also great for very large groups of people and spectacular wide shots of places like the Grand Canyon. Enjoy!

All depends on what you like to shoot, and what it is worth to you. It's a tool. Does it fit as part of your toolkit? Review: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_11_18_review.html

Pierat said:
All depends on what you like to shoot, and what it is worth to you. It's a tool. Does it fit as part of your toolkit? Review: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_11_18_review.html
She already bought the lens.

Pierat said:
Okay, hope the info helps somebody. She said she was "going to get it" so apparently she did. Enjoy!

Yes I did buy it, Thanks for taking the time for me. I did go to the link and print up the information.
I have a book that is full of information that I print up on anything that will
help me to learn about photography.

I want to thank all of you that take the time to answer my questions, I feel very blessed that there are so many of
you with so much knowledge in this area and are willing to take the time to help us .

That lens will be great for landscapes and indoor shots. I am looking at a 10-22mm lens for my Canon. I've always marveled at the fantastic landscapes taken by this type of lens. Since I have a couple of gift certificates that must be used at B&H, I'm really leaning towards this lens. :)

A good place to learn about photography and equipment: http://photo.net/learn/

Their Forums are a good place to post questions that you may have. I particularly like the digital darkroom and lighting forums. The Beginner questions forum is a very good starting place.

Bob Atkins' reviews (link in my previous message) are usually excellent. He's an optical engineer and photographer, among other things.

Jim Dick said:
That lens will be great for landscapes and indoor shots. I am looking at a 10-22mm lens for my Canon. I've always marveled at the fantastic landscapes taken by this type of lens. Since I have a couple of gift certificates that must be used at B&H, I'm really leaning towards this lens. :)

Jim, I went through the process of trying to figure out exactly which ultra wide angle lens I should buy a few weeks ago and ended up with the $300 Rokinon 8mm lens. The 10-22 Canon is a fantastic lens but I think you would be happier with the 8mm. I was looking at an 8-16, a 10-24 and an 11-16 before I got the 8mm.

Sharpness - With ultra wide angles sharpness is pretty much the same in all lenses. All ultra wides are extremely sharp. You can find lens test sites that will tell you X lens is sharper than Y lens, but this is mainly BS. The real limiting factor to sharpness in these lenses is the diffraction of the sensor and your computer monitor. Unless you are planning on printing billboards you will never see the sharpness differences in ultra wides.

Pros:

Zoom range - The one thing I noticed in user review after user review is that once you own an ultra wide zoom you are going to be using it at the widest zoom about 95% of the time. You probably have a kit lens that will go down to 18 and the ultra won't be any sharper at 18 than the kit lens is. I know that is probably contrary to what the lens test sites will tell you, but I take my photos in the real world, not at a lens test site.

Price - $300 vs $859, enough said.

Build - The Canon is a metal lens built like a tank and operates very smoothly. The Rokinon is a metal lens built like a tank and operates very smoothly.

Cons:

The Rokinon is a manual lens. This means you must set aperture and focus manually. The good news is if you use Sunny 16 (f/16 and set the aperture to the ISO) you will get great exposures out doors almost every time. Set the focus to 3 feet and everything from one foot to infinity will be tack sharp.

You cannot attach a filter. It comes with a built in lens hood of the petal variety.

Uses:

You can either use it to intentionally distort perspective like the bendy bus or you can take ultra wide angle shots that take in a 180 degree field of view, which is wider than your eyes.

Your mileage may vary, of course, since your style of photography is probably very different than mine. But I could not be happier with my purchase. But no matter which lens you get you will have a blast with it.

Attachments

• Bendy bus.jpg
    Bendy bus.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Girl.jpg
    Girl.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 31
  • Tree in canyon.jpg
    Tree in canyon.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Tree_.jpg
    Tree_.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 15
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I do have the 18-55mm kit lens but I would like something wider to get some of the sweeping landscapes I just don't seem to get with the 18mm. Not rushing to order so maybe I'll take the 18 out for another trial. I do know I need to compose the landscapes differently with a wide lens. Had not really concentrated on that before.

As you said, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever lens I do end up buying. Talked with a guy this morning at the store that just got a used Tilt & Shift lens. Now that's another piece of hardware I'd like to own. :)

Tilt and shift lenses have basically been rendered obsolete by Photoshop as far as I can tell. You can correct just about any perspective distortion with it. Same thing with Lightroom.
Or you could get an a55 with the sweep panorama mode. Wide as wide as you want automatically.

Pierat said:
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00StoE
I don't believe a word of it. Those guys all own tilt-shifts and are trying to defend it. Sounds like the guys defending film 5 years ago.

Jim Dick,

Using your 18-55 lens why not try a 2-photo panorama with a 40% overlap on the two photos.  I let the camera set the exposure, etc and then sometimes use Focus/AE lock so it is locked the same for both photos.  Can't do it when one is in shade and the other in bright sun but everything is not perfect either.

JerryF

Back
Top Bottom