Workamping this holiday season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

There was an interesting article in USA Today that talked about Amazon.com hiring workampers at it's KY facility for the holiday season. $10/hour plus full hookups. Other workamping opportunities were also discussed.

We talked to them at the last FMCA rally. They were hiring for several packing plants (Kentucky, near Kansas City, and one other one). Sounded like a good deal until they told us how cold it gets where they had jobs. We talked to two couples who had done it the year before and they said it's really hard work, you're on your feet all day, and they worked 10 hour days. We decided we're too lazy/old/crippled for that kind of work but for someone in good shape with energy, it's probably a good gig. I'd rather be working at the bookstore in Grand Canyon :)

Wendy
San Elijo State Beach

Well! Yes, You are right, it is getting colder and real frigid come early AM Monday, wind chills down to -7/-10 degrees along with about 1-3" of SNOOOOW!!!! I am at Amazon, Kentucky; the 21st is my last day and will leave by the 22nd. It has solidified my finances for about 4 mos. I will take the rest of Dec and all of January and relax down on the Gulf between Mobile and Pensacola. Then back N/east for the summer. Happy Camping!!! Irover

:) Guess what??? I finished  the Kentucky, Amazon.com Gig and I am sore and very pleased to be at The Gulf, Have to put up with some freezing temps. :p but no snow or ice!! Amazon payed for the site, all the electric I used up and Also provided a few meals, gift cards at a value of 5 to 50.00. I got the $5 ones, we also had a great commadrie of hard working workampers and the locals loved us because it gave them some relief to be with their relatives for the holidays. If you are not physically fit this is a very strenuous job, walking up and down stairs, cement and metal flooring and a lot of walking, bending, twistin and stooping. I would not do this for a career, but quick monies, that it took all Summer to earn in 5 months versus 2 months at Amazon. I can rest on my duff for 45 days and get my Rv ready for some more miles. Irover

Had friends that did the Amazon gig, and they say about the same thing.  Tough job for older weorkers, but treated pretty well.  I am with Wendy, glad to be working the Grand Canyon Bookstore. 

Thanks for the Amazon report. We've thought about doing the holiday workcamper gig but I think your report on the physical requirements may have decided us against the job.

Wendy

Bill & Wendy,

The book store gig is hard enough. Guess I'll pass on the Amazon gig. My back certainly wouldn't take it. ;D ;D

8) Did not think I would be able to do it either. I seen people in their mid 70's and people in their 40's. Like I said for quick $$$$$'s and 8 weeks versus 20 for the same salary. May give up the Summer gig if I find another like this for Spring.  :) Irover

10 an hour is twice?  Working in the wrong places.  The shorter season is nice, giving more time off, however I like my season.  Sounds a bit better than friends of mine that did a sugar beet harvest. 

Do they do withholding or 1099 you?

Well 10 an hour and full hookups can be nice, In KY or KS is debateable.

Grand Canyon or Yellowstone vs. downtown in KY or KS...

I'm good.

I think we will try it 2011 season.  Sounds good and being a newbie to fulltiming, there just aren't that many jobs in the winter where the climate is fair.  Will send out the resumes to Florida, south Texas and Arizona first though.  We have completed our first summer season job.  Experience is the key.

Usually plenty of jobs in Death Valley....the concessionnaires there hire lots of folks to work in their gift shops, restaurants and hotels. And there's always camp hosting in DEVA....no pay but free full hookups and sunsets to die for.

Wendy
FMCA Rally, Indio, CA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom