Roof Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reifwj

Hey all,
      Bought my first TC last summer.  Up till that point, we have been using a toyhauler I built myself.  It's a fully self contained 1996 8.5 ft Caribou.  I paid 3.5K for it with Torklift Tiedowns for my truck.  I think I got a steal on it.
      Anyway, there was no visible damage to the roof in anyway.  I drive down some pretty rough roads to camp and everytime I get home, I give the roof a once over looking for holes or rips. 
      On the last tirp, it rained quite a bit.  When I looked at it, the driver side front had started to swell up.  Because I had to deploy and didn't want to leave it like that for six months, I sealed it up, checked it out and it is not leaking anymore.  None of the water made it inside the camper and the spot is about six inch by twelve inch triangle right along the seam (that's where the leak was)  I covered it with a tarp until I can get home in the spring and figure out what I need to do to fix it.
      My question is, do I need to cut out that swollen wood and inspect to see how much damage is done?  That was my first instinct, however, now I'm thinking just replace all the sealant on the roof and keep a really good eye on it.  I just don't want it to be a minor replacement now, but have mold or something form and have a major issue in two years.
      I love this TC.  It has a shower and stuff, but is short enough for me to pull a trailer with out needing a hitch extension.  I really want it to last for years to come.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom