Pulling 8' popup with 2006 Ford Ranger Pickup??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BudinOK

I have thinking about buying my first little rv, a 8' popup trailer. I am looking at the Flagstaff 176 LTD series. But my real question is, can I pull an 8' popup with a 2006 Ford Ranger, 3.0L 8cyl 5sp manuel pickup pretty easily? Thanks for any response that I may receive.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

The 2006 Ford Towing Guide shows your Ranger can tow between 2340 and 2660 lbs, depending on the rear axle ratio, whether it's the heavier Super Cab, etc.  The Flagstaff 176 LTD has a base weight of 1353 lbs and a maximum GVWR of 2278 lbs, well within the towing limit of your truck.

And a pop-up does not have any wind drag compared to a full height trailer.  So your truck should tow the Flagstaff just fine.

But remember, every pound of gear you add to the truck subtracts a like amount from the weight you can tow.  Keep the load to a reasonable amount and you should be fine.

Hello Bud and welcome to The RV Forum.

Use extreme caution................. you are about to embark upon a life changing experience.  Many an RVer have started out with a "little rv, a 8' popup trailer".  Once the RV bug has bitten there is no cure.  Everybody you meet will recognize the change, you will be running around with a silly grin on your face.

You are likely to have more questions and we are here for you.  Besides answering questions, this is a great place to meet other RVers who share a passion for RVing.  Join our discussions and meet them.

So, tell us more................ Are you planning to travel or camp?  Will you have family with you?  Where do you call home?  Etc.

Welcome aboard.  We are pleased that you have found us.

All my kids are grown up and moved off so it will just be the wife and I and I guess our little dog, Michelle.  I want to travel some, but I still work and my travels will only be up to 10 days at a time. I plan on doing some camping too on some weekends. Home is in a little town called Cement here in Oklahoma.  I spent a couple of hours last night going through some of the posts here in the forum and still have a lot to read, so I am learning.  I want to buy it bad, but still waiting to see what the government does. Hope they do something about those tax extensions before the end of the year.

Another question I have being I can't seem to get a hold of my insurance agent (he is so hard to get a hold of) and that is about what you guys think it will cost to insure something like the Flagstaff 176 LTD? Thanks for the welcome

BudinOK,
I've had a pop-up since 2004 and have enjoyed it very much.  It's 8' (small) but very spacious when folded out.  It doesn't have all the fancy extras and is very basic but does have roof mounted AC. (which I highly recommend!)

We pull the thing with a mini-van and don't have a bit of troubles fully loaded for a week's trip.

As far as insurance, I found that it was more costly to insure mine than it would be to repair it after it was a couple of years old.  The blue book on pop-ups discounts them pretty badly once they're a year or two old from what I've found. 

Also, some auto insurance policies cover some damages on towed vehicles/trailers.  That would be a question for your agent. 

Glad to see another Okie on the forum.  I just joined today. 

But, you do have to have them insured, in Oklahoma, before you can get your tag, right??

I can't speak for Oklahoma, but insurance is typically optional on a trailer of any type.  Your liability insurance on your truck covers any damage to another parties vehicle etc.  If you finance it the folks who cover the loan may require insurance on it to support the loan.

BudinOK,
I don't have to show insurance verifaction to buy tag every year.  The vehicle insurance on my tow vehicle is sufficient to legally pull it down the road. 

Before I upgraded to a bigger truck and camper I had a 8ft pop up I pulled with my Ford Escape. It had a V6 and it didn't have any trouble at all. If you were going up a hill you'd notice it but other than that it was fine. My insurance company didn't require me to carry insurance on it, so I never did. If something happened when I was pulling it, the vehicle insurance would cover it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom