Cyber Monday price on TomTom 540 M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Have been looking at reviews on this GPS for the past few weeks. Some have trouble updating the maps and report that the storage capacity is very close to the size of the maps data -- but other than that it appears like a good unit. Also, Lifetime Maps does not mean for the lifetime of the buyer but rather the normal lifetime that TomTom figures to support the unit.

It is on sale this Cyber Monday for $89.90 at Amazon HERE.

The M stands for Life Time Maps vs. the TM unit that has both Traffic and Maps. There is also a T only if I recall. I especially like the idea of a 5" screen and the high reviews of the Lane Assist feature.

By shopping around, the best price I have seen on this unit is $119 - so this seems a bargain and I see free shipping as well. Have seen it on other sites for $229.

Anyway, a FWIW . . .  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
It is on sale this Cyber Monday for $89.90 at Amazon HERE.

Bob, I think that price is for a USED unit, new ones seem to be running anywhere from $107 to $170.

Luca1369 said:
Bob, I think that price is for a USED unit, new ones seem to be running anywhere from $107 to $170.
Open box unit. Cosmetic blemishes on main unit. Cosmetic blemishes on accessory. Minor damage to outer box. Package resealed. All purchases eligible for Amazon customer service and a 30-day return policy.

And it  does not get very good user reviews at Amazon.

seilerbird said:
Open box unit. Cosmetic blemishes on main unit. Cosmetic blemishes on accessory. Minor damage to outer box. Package resealed. All purchases eligible for Amazon customer service and a 30-day return policy.

And it  does not get very good user reviews at Amazon.

Wow, Tom -- that reads like a pretty beat up GPS.  :(

However, the unit I posted a link to was "new". Appears they didn't last long at that price. Also, it was from Amazon vs. one of their outlet vendors.

Yes, today is Cyber Monday. My girlfriend went to Walmart today and it was empty. Everybody was shopping online. BTW - The Garmin 260w is $99 brand new on Amazon and it gets 4.5 stars from 1000 user reviews. Can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0011ULQNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291091904&sr=8-1

Luca1369 said:

Nope -- it was for a new unit, Steve. The link I posted was about as dynamic as I've seen one on Amazon lately. But with it being Cyber Monday, I can understand. Amazon had units in stock themselves and included them on an ad page they sent me this AM. Looks like they went pretty fast.

After I read your post I clicked the link again myself and the pricing was $149 from Beach Camera -- then after Tom's post the price on that page was $129 from another vendor.

Thanks for the feedback . . .  :)

seilerbird said:
Can't beat that with a stick.

Maybe not with a stick, but I believe I did with a TomTom . . . :)

Three reasons. The 260W has no lane assist, the display is as wide but not as tall as the 540M, and does that Garmin rip off thing with map updates. Plus it only covers the US. Free map updates 4 times a year vs. the Garmin map ripoff alone would cause me to never do Garmin again. And driving CA freeways made lane assist a must for me.

Anyway, I bought that puppy for less than $90 - so if it gets me lost going to QZ, I'll just sell it when I finally do find my way.

Did you find any Cyber Monday bargains??

No, I didn't find any Cyber Monday bargains. I wasn't looking. Payday is tomorrow.

Bob, the only problem that I've heard about TomTom's is that they will very often announce destination arrival on the wrong side of the street.  That's not going to be much of a concern at QZ I suppose. ;) :D

FYI - The base maps are updated (on the TomTom site) every four months, so three actual updates per year are all you are going to get anyway.  I don't see this as a problem with either TomTom or Garmin.

Good luck with your new toy.

I have a slightly older model TomTom One.  I was using it a few months ago to find the address to a house.  It took me to the correct street, but the house on the GPS was one house before the house I was seeking.  The address number on the house I was seeking was correct although the TomTom showed that address as one house before the one I needed.  I wonder if this is a problem with other types of units or if it is strictly a TomTom thing...

Steve, someone said this before...."Don't sweat the small stuff".  ;D

There are so many GPS models out there now. To achieve 100% accuracy does not rarely exist in this World, especially with GPS.

Try mine:  Trying to find my own home from just a mile away took me through and old, dilapidated trailer park, then onto an old Powerline road closed off with a dead-end several years ago. Just a test drive.  I just laughed it off.

FYI,  I live in an upscale gated community and was able to find my home. (even blindfolded).

GPS .. trust but verify.

Carson FL

[quote author=Luca1369]
The address number on the house I was seeking was correct although the TomTom showed that address as one house before the one I needed.  I wonder if this is a problem with other types of units or if it is strictly a TomTom thing...
[/quote]

Steve, I think the error is introduced very early in the process.  I was reading an article not long ago about how they get all the street and address detail for the maps used in GPS devices.  It seems they rely heavily on the local governments to provide house numbers and such detail.  I'm not sure just who assigns the numbers in my city, but my house sits on a double lot and my Garmin refuses to accept the correct house number when sitting in my driveway.  The GPS thinks the number should be 2110 instead of 2108.

If I tell the Garmin to go home (my driveway coordinates) it takes me about 150' from where it would if I specify my actual address.

I imagine that any GPS unit using the same map data, that your TomTom does, would show the same results you are seeing.

TomTom is a European based manufacturer, Garmin is based in the US. For that reason alone I have always bought Garmin. They are the industry leader and based in the US so I trust their maps more confidently.

[quote author=carson]
  Try mine:  Trying to find my own home from just a mile away took me through and old, dilapidated trailer park, then onto an old Powerline road closed off with a dead-end several years ago.
[/quote]

Carsen,  your GPS has the dreaded "Werner Carstensen" virus in it.  The virus was designed by a Mrs. Carol Carstensen to prevent lecherous old men from gaining access to that upscale gated community that you mentioned.
Edit: Fixed quote.

Thanks for the fix, TOM.  I had screwed it up by cutting and pasting when I saw that someone had answered while I was typing.

Thanks, Lou.. I stand corrected...I think you are right.

Do you also publish secret info on Youtube?  ;D

Have a great day, Lou and Jane.

Carson FL 83.5?

The GPS logic doesn't actually store addresses in the map database but interpolates using the known address range for a block.  If the lots are all equal in size, it's quite accurate, but if they aren't, or are spread out over a long stretch of road, the GPS will not know the exact location.  Last Friday we use Google maps on my Droid to locate a car dealer and it took us to a location several miles down the road from the actual address.  This was on a frontage road on I-10 well outside of any town.

Most of the GPS manufacturers use the same map database from Navteq, so they will all have the same errors if using the same version, which they do, if you keep up to date.

Ned said:
Most of the GPS manufacturers use the same map database from Navteq, so they will all have the same errors if using the same version, which they do, if you keep up to date.
Most do, but Garmin and TomTom use different maps. Garmin uses Navteq and TomTom uses Tele Atlas. Navteq is widely considered much more accurate.

Portable GPS devices made by Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, NDrive and web-based applications, such as Yahoo! Maps, Bing Maps, and MapQuest use Navteq.

We bought both the 540tm and the 550tm on black Friday at BJ's and Costco. Problem we don't know which one to keep as it has been just about impossible to find out the difference in them and to decide which one is best for us.The 540 is supposed to have more functions but the 550 is supposed to be easier to use but no where can I find what functions the 540 has that the 550 does not have.Can anyone tell us the difference or point us to a web page that explains the difference in terms that can be understood. Thanks , Alan 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom