Anyone have any experience with Capri truck campers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francismilker

I've decided to get a truck camper to take on one or two day excursions to the deer woods and fishing hole with my son.  I drive a 1/2 ton chevy pickup and don't want to take on all the weight that most TC's possess.  From what I can see from internet research the Capri campers are very lightweight.  Although they don't come standard with that many options(don't need that many if the Mrs. isn't with us!) , the model I'm looking at weighs in at a whopping 750lbs.  Here's a link:  http://capricamper.com/lariat.html

What's your thoughts on the matter?

I have had a number of TC's, but never one this simple.  For a 1/2 ton truck going woodsing, this looks like it will fit the bill.  Have fun!

They have models that on a 4x4 would make a great moving line camp on some of our western ranches. An artis or photographer wanting no frills could get deep into the desert or back country and stay a lot longer.

francismilker,

I bought an 04 capri, same model your looking at. Loved the simplicity, shape, layout and the lower weight. Come to find out, something didn't add up when it came to the weight. When I bought my unit it was trashed be cause of water leaks. Roof, cab over section and all 4 corners. It was so bad it wasn't worth rebuilding, but my wife and I still loved the little thing. I re built, I'll get to the weight, bear with me, and all aluminum frame the same shape and size. Moved all the siding, windows, door AC ect. to my frame. When I hulled the old stripped capri to the dump it weighed in at 768 LBS. So yea maybe stripped it may weigh 750. If you can get the camper weighed be for you sign on the dotted line. And unless they have up graded the quality control as far as water proofing is goes be prepared for leaks. All that said , we still love the little camper.

Good luck and happy camping!
Tom

I have an '11 Rodeo.  Only had it for a few months.  So far so good.  You do get what you pay for as it is old style built up construction with white pine framing, fiberglass insulation and a very simple interior.  It has no fuse panel, converter or battery, so it has a very rudimentary electrical system.  Gray water simply drains out the back and there is no black tank since there is no toilet.  I've added a Porta-Potti and carry a 5 gal container for collecting gray water if it's not polite or prudent to dump the gray on site.

That is what I wanted though.  No fancy stuff  means no unnecessary weight for the task at hand.  Workmanship is about the same as many RV's on the market today.  -Adequate, but nothing to write home about.  Caveat: I've spent a lot of time in the automotive, steel and aircraft industries, so my idea of quality is quite a lot higher than that of the majority of RV folks seem to practice.

As far as being water tight, I'll be going over the entire unit this summer with a fine tooth comb and flexible sealant and upgrading a few other items to ensure water tightness.

The reason I bought it was that it was about the same cost to buy it vs. build it.  Actually less $$ if I count my labor.  And I got it fairly quick after ordering.  I bought it without options so I can add those of my own choosing.  After adding a heater and some insulation on the floor, I spent some time in it this past winter and was generally pleased.

FrancisMilker: If you are still looking at the Lariat, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.  Not only have I been at the factory in Bluff Dale, I've spent some time with this thing and have already done some retrofitting.  At this point, I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, but you do have to understand what you're buying.  For someone who wants a simple, lightweight camper with a full size shower, it's a good bargain.

Rocky

correction:typos

Back
Top Bottom