Mounting a rooftop Cargo box/pod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadow24

Hello,

Has anyone had success mounting a rooftop cargo box/pod to the roof of a motorhome ?
I have a Jayco Escapade. I was looking to use a quick disconnect system that is sold at PPL motorhomes.
It is a two rail system. The bottom rail mounts to the roof with 4 screws and an adhesive and then the top rail which is bolted to the box pins to the bottom rail. It looks pretty slick. it can be removed for cleaning or winter storage, or if the box needs to be replaced there is no messing with the roof penetrations.
Any advice or experience?
Joe

I added mounts for a Port-a-Bote to a 5W and a motorhome, both with rubber roofs. Worked fine.  I used lag screws after drilling a suitable size hole and used a good silicone caulk around the screw hole and as a sealer under the mount.  Tried to hit a cross-member with the screws, but that wasn't possible in one place and it still held fine.

I built my own mounts and used the same design you described - a permanent bottom rail with an upper section mounted to it. I sealed the bottom rail all around with a brush on rubber roof seal coating, available in any hardware store. No special Rv products needed.

RV Roamer,
I am going to order the kit, it's on sale for $55.00.
I will try to hit the beams and That's a good idea about adding extra sealant around the mounts.
Thanks,
By the way, this is a Great forum!

Hmmmm, Ordered the kit from PPL motorhomes, got it today. Ssupposed to be manufactured by Ameri_Kart. This looks like it was manufactured in someones shed. The parts are all dirty, and not what they are supposed to be.  Long list of things that look like I was scammed by PPL. I am going to call Ameri-Kart in the morning and find out what is going on. There is no way this could be mounted the way the instructions indicate. Hopefully this is just a mistake on PPL's part.

Yes it distributed by PPL and is a quick disconnect kit to allow you to remove and reinstall a rooftop storage box. Now that I see what it is. I can easily make one. But the product that was sent to me was definitely not what I would expect from a company. In fairness to POL they are sending me a return authorization to get my money back.
The company I work for would never send out a product in that condition or that screwed up.

Back
Top Bottom