"NameDJ" URL hosting... legit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I'm hoping someone with website experience can shed some light on this.  I have a website set up for my wife's home business, with a custom URL that ends in ".net" ... at the time I made the website for her, the ".com" version of the same URL wasn't available.  Now the ".com" is supposedly open again, and I've gotten e-mails from www.nameDJ.com offering for me to register the URL through them since they apparently own the rights to the URL and know I have a similar web address.  My question is, does anyone know if NameDJ is a legit hosting site?  The prices and website seem real, but I got a few spam e-mails about this same issue over the last couple weeks too.  Just wanted to check before I give out a credit card # to any company I've never heard of before.

Yeah I tried that... "Whois" says it is unregistered and available, and "Internic" has no record of that domain.  Whois sent me to www.Verio.com to buy it, apparently www.NameDJ.com can get it too.  But my current host for the original website (www.1and1.com) told me a couple weeks ago that it's owned by someone and I'd have to buy through them.  Confusing.

If it's truly available, is there a way for me to just buy it myself?  I did some Google research and the top few articles give various sites but they are all hosting companies who charge annually for domain registration (like 1&1 who I already have).  I'd rather have the URL permanently if there is an economical way to do that.

If the .com domain is available, then you can register it through your normal registrar.  Have you tried to register it today?  If not, then they're just trying to sell you the .com domain.  How much you're willing to pay, if anything, is up to you.  You are under no obligation to register or purchase the .com domain name.

Go to Godaddy.com and enter the domain name and see if it's available.  You do not have to register your domains with your hosting company, and there are good reasons for not doing so.

If you want to email me the domain name, I can research it for you.

I was just able to register through 1and1.com (my normal host) after all... apparently it became publicly available to them since last week.  They had promotional pricing that ends today ($4.99 for the first year) so I wanted to take advantage of that.

I'm still interested in how an individual can actually "own" a website name (rather than the hosting company owning it and just letting you use it for a fee), if that's possible and reasonable.

Scott,

It sounds like 1 and 1 is both your host and your registrar. You can transfer a domain to a different registrar at any time. Irrespective which registrar it's registered with, you still "own" the domain, but only for as long as you pay the annual dues.

As Tom says, you own the domain name and you should be listed as the contact for the domain (for all the various contact positions).  It sounds like NameDJ.com wanted you to register the domain with them and I'll bet they would have retained ownership (and be listed as the administrative contact).  That would let them force you to host with them, which is why it's a good idea to not use your hosting company as your domain registrar unless you know and trust them.  1and1 and GoDaddy are both trustworthy in that respect.

If 1and1 offers it, set your domains up on automatic renewal and lock them.  That's how I have all our various domains set up at GoDaddy so I can't forget to renew and lose control, and by locking them I'm the only one that can change the contact information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom