Winegard traveler and HD DVR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

falconhunter

Hello to all. I am going to be installing a winegard traveler for direct TV in my Fifth wheel in the near future. I have a 2011 fifth wheel and it does have separate cable and satellite connections along with a winegard ota antenna that I must say works quite well. I would like to leave my stock wiring alone. My question is do I need to run a second coax to the main TV for my dvr? I had to do this in my home set up so I could watch one channel while recording another. I just wasn't sure if technology had changed in the last 3 years and possibly able to run two signals through one coax. I'm pretty sure I wont be that lucky.
Thanks for any advice.
Chip

You will have to run two lines if you want to to record two things at the same time.  There is a SWM switch that will work in a Direct TV installation in a stick house to accomplish this with a single cable run.  I talked to Winegard and unfortunately the Traveler will not work with this switch.  My motorhome already had the dish installed when we bought it and unfortunately only had one cable run.(And it was professionally installed).  I would highly encourage you to go ahead and run two lines and get it over with.

Thanks for the info. I already have one dedicated satellite line so I will only have to run 1 more. Shouldn't be too much trouble but it would have been an easy install if not for having to run the extra coax. Thanks again, Chip

Yep, no such luck.  But, I've found that having to route cables has caused me to learn a lot about my coach so enjoy the education.  :)

Good Luck

Rick

Thanks Rick.  I'm sure I will "enjoy the education". I've already had just about every panel taken off that I can so far just to see what makes this thing tick. I have a good plan of attack of how I want to run the coax. I look forward to it.  Thanks again, Chip

falconhunter,
Don't forget you have to run the power/control cable to the box inside the RV anyway. I ran all cables in a plastic channel (about one inch wide by a quarter inch high) I got at Home Depot (or Lowes - I've forgotten which). It was designed to conceal wires installed on the walls and ceiling inside a finished room.
Winegard supplies a plate to use at the penetration that works very well. This is a very straightforward, clean installation.
Ernie

Thanks Ernie. I'll run both at the same time. I'm going to run it all right beside the factory wires.

Back
Top Bottom