another flooring question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fltioga

Hello,  ive decided to replace the carpet in my  new to me motorhome  (1989 tioga  class c )  and i removed all of it today  and  ran into a minor issue . I want to use a laminate wood or a vinyl  type of flooring  but  i have a few  carriage bolt heads  almost in the middle of the floor  and one in the dining area  . I know they hold something  to the frame or underbelly  .  They stick up above the plywood  around 1/8 "  .  Has anybody else run into this?  If i use  the allure type  vinly planks ,  ill probably have a hump in those areas.  Ive thought about grinding on  them some but  that wouldnt  take them all the way down. 

Any advice is welcome ,    thanks

I think rather than grinding them down, you would be better off just counter sinking them a little more if you can locate the nuts below and take another turn or two on them. There isn't a whole lot of "meat" on a carriage bolt head to start with.

That is a problem.  Assuming you're not interested in adding another sheet of underlayment... you might want to use several layers of leveling compound on and around the bolt heads.  It'll still leave a bump of sorts but maybe on the floor of a class C it won't be noticable?

Good Luck...

rick

If it is just an 1/8 inch. I have ground some down so as not to have a mountain that telescopes thru the new floor. The final look will be when the adhesives sets up and then any imperfection will telegraph thru the surface. Most folks use scatter rugs, anyway, so that may not be an issue.

Just use a paddle bit and drill a hole 1/8" deep in the laminate flooring, so the bolt head will recess into it.

The point on a paddle bit would probably be too long and protrude through the flooring before the bit could carve out sufficient material to do the job.  A Forstner bit would do a better job.

Larry202br said:
replace em with these: http://www.amazon.com/National-Hardware-V7652-Carriage-12-Pack/dp/B002KFZUJE

Damn nice find there, I was going to suggest the rounded carriage bolt but those look purrrfect!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom