***HELP!!*** Slide Out stuck...stuck on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBTexas

Hey everyone. I am new here to this forum and belong to a few others. I have never had to start by asking a question to solve a BIG problem, buuut........  :D I was getting ready to pull out of the park where we stayed in AZ on our way back to Texas. The last thing I do is slide in my two slide outs, triple check, and hit the road. Well, in the middle of sliding in the living room, I heard a small pop, like a fuse blowing, and the slide stopped!!! Well, I can hand crank them, but come to find out, my landing gear does not work either. It is DEAD in the water. I had to hand crank it the rest of the way. Pressing any switches connected to the motor does NOTHING. I cleaned my battery terminals, jumped it with my truck, and checked all of my connections, but it is no good. Has anyone dealt with this before? I am guessing at this point, the motor crapped out, but don't have the diagnostic tools to find out. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!! Stuck in AZ until this gets resolved!!

BBTexas said:
I heard a small pop, like a fuse blowing, and the slide stopped!!! Well, I can hand crank them, but come to find out, my landing gear does not work either.
An obvious question is have you checked the fuses?  Do you have a multimeter or some kind of 12 V light you can use the check the electrical?

The motor for the slide might have a thermal overload on it for protection along with the fuses in your breaker box. If it has a thermal reset it should just look like a button you push to reset. I would also follow the wires from the slide motor back to it's power source to check for any inline fuses, this might be hard or impossible if the wiring disappears into the coach somewhere. If supplies allow, try to get 12v directly to the slide motor to see if it's bad to start eliminating items. My money is on your breaker/fuse box, pull the fuses one by one and check them all. I have a fuse labeled "stove exhaust hood", and while it does supply that it also supplies my control board where I start/stop the generator, check generator fuel level and battery/water tank levels. Good luck, let us know what it was.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and the help. I ended up just taking a deep breath and starting from square one and tracing the line from the switches back to the battery. I got a volt meter and found a relay that is in between the battery and the slide out motor to be blown. Part was 2 dollars and 2 minutes to replace!! Shew!!! Good news is that  now know my wiring system in and out. Electrical stuff always scared me a little. I can rebuild engines, but when it comes to electrical, I just choke!  ;D Agan, sorry for the late reply....been a crazy trip, but have met some good people and seen some very cool sites! I love Rv'ing!

BBTexas said:
Good news is that  now know my wiring system in and out.

This is the priceless value of tinkering with the RV's we own, and gaining the intimate knowledge of your rig in particular.  If this happens again, next time you'll have it swapped out in no time and might be able to help someone else on the road with the same problem.  You might want to carry a couple extra relays with you.  ;)

I would strongly recommend that you spend $99 per year on a CoachNet membership. When my slide got stuck out I called them and they solved the problem over the phone in 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom