Florida east coast, first time where to go.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonka

Ok.. It;s a long way off but were visting Orlando in October 2011 for my son's wedding..

Plan is to take my grandkids (4&6) out to the coast and chill out at a site near a beach..
We're pretty experience for UK and Europe and owned a "motorhome" for 10 years, never a large RV.
Was gonna just check out the local hirer's and see what deal I could get once I am there.
We have a villa booked for 3 weeks, so will use that as a base and can be flexible on when to make the trip.

I need help in gettin some ideas of places / campsites to head for, suitable for a novice RV driver and a place to stop thats good for very young kids, so a play area and a beach are needed... Has to be east coast as we plan to drop my son off at Port canaveral so he can board a cruise.

Thanks in advance..

There are several RV parks near Port Canaveral, that vary from County Parks with basic amenities such as Jetty Park which is a mile or two from the Port.  In fact Jetty Park is a popular place for people to spend a Sunday afternoon to watch the cruise ships leave from the Port.

There is Manatee Hammock, another County Park with basic amenities, Tingley's Campground on Merritt Island as well.  If you would like a more upscale park with full amenities, which would cost more, of course, there is The Great Outdoors RV and Nature Resort in Titusville, Florida.    TGO is a condominium RV community that rents sites to visitors.  Several Forum staffers live at TGO and many more have visited ove the years.

Another option in a condo RV park, in Mims is Willow Lakes  with good amenities as well.

All these suggestions are on the East Coast, about 40 miles due east of Orlando.  There are several easy routes to get to Orlando, including a toll road that would take you about 40 minutes to get to the attractions.

There are certainly other options for RV parks, closer to the attractions, further inland, that others may be able to recommend.

I believe there are several RV rental companies in the Orlando area you can investigate.

Thanks, Steve.. 
Gives me something to start looking at...  I have some RV rental company details already, so will be checking those out as well..

Since you will be in Orlando for a period of time you can check out areas of the Atlantic with ease. It's not that far to the coast. We also live at The Great Outdoors and find it enjoyable. Most places will not be inexpensive but October is usually less expensive than later in the year. A great park nearby is Jetty Park. It's right on the ocean and next to the channel where all the cruise ships enter and depart Port Canaveral. The beach is great for walking and swimming. I'm sure the Grandkids would enjoy it and there's a lot to do in the area. We are about 20 minutes north of Jetty Park and Daytona Beach is about an hour north of us.

Jetty Park at Port canaveral is a great place for a family to camp. Stayed there in my truck camper and enjoyed my time there. Walking to the beach, 24 hour fishing pier, cruise ships docking, clean beach, lovely view and water.

Unbelievably, when renting an RV Cruise America (Kissemmee, just round the corner from Orlando airport) was the cheapest!! (may depend on mileage travelled) their 25ft was cheapest to rent.
Watchout for the $100 kitchen kit and the $50 a head bedroom kit (cheaper to buy new from Walmart/Ross/Beals outlet etc). Also the mileage charge. But ask for the free day.
Taking Kids - a $40 dollar tent from walmart is a cheap accom. option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom