1976 25' Chieftain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyleInSD

New to this site, and new to the Winnebago World.  Picked up a 1976 Chieftain this past weekend.  Runs great, most everything works, just needing to fix up the interior to modernize it a little.  Just checking to see if there are any "normal" problems or things to watch out for.  The only thing i've found so far that doesn't work is the dash lights, hoping thats just a fuse somewhere.  The past owner stated that the "brain box" in the rear of the MH does not read out holding tank  or fresh water level.  Says that it never has, and they weren't designed to read out on this particular model.  Thought maybe he was blowing smoke up somewhere, but it's a long ways from it's heart and something I can probably fix on my own.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated though.    Thanks, Kyle

Hi Kyle...welcome.

Your post forced me to make a couple off comments. I am sure you will get a lot of answers.

Number 1.)  That RV is 34 years old. Your biggest concern should not be minor things that you have discovered recently. Your biggest concern should be the general health of the engine, transmission and all the other chassis parts.

That is where the expensive parts are. Everything inside are handy-man projects.

No 2.)  Are there any past service records available to you.? If not, think again. Perhaps a friendly tech-guy can check it out and give you some confidence. RV's are complicated machines. Almost like an airplane.. engine..wheels.. cockpit..windows.. galley.. accessories.. etc..etc. Hope you get my point.

I really don't want to throw cold water on your project... just a little experience.

Carson FL

Hi Kyle and congratulations on your classic Winnebago and a big welcome to you from us at The RV Forum!  Those are oldies but goodies and for sure a head turner where ever you go.  I recommend you visit the Classic Winnebago forum - there is a link in the Winnebago Resources post near the top of this board.  There is most likely a more knowledgeable community about the classic rigs over there.  But - I encourage you to be an active participant right here!

Back
Top Bottom