Amazon Announces Kindle Download Problems Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Just thought I would pass this on.

I had a problem with a book download today and Amazon informed me that the problem is widespread and they are working on it.  They advised to wait until after 9 pm Mountain time this evening before using the Kindle for a direct download.  What happens is that downloads get frozen on the Kindle.  Then even if you try to correct it by doing a second download via the PC, the status remains frozen on the Kindle until you clear it by turning the on off button and holding it for 20 seconds to invoke a reboot.

So until 9 pm this evening (mountain time) do any book downloads via laptop or desktop and then transfer to your Kindle.  If you try downloading direct to the Kindle it may work as the problem is intermittent.  But if it doesn't, you then have to reboot the Kindle (see above) to clear it and then download to PC and transfer via USB.

Smoky

Just downloaded "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens at 3 pm.  Took less than 30 seconds.  Seems to be working OK, but since it is an intermittent problem not sure if it is fixed yet.  If the problem happens to you the solution explained in first message.  Or you can wait until 9 pm Mountain, 11 pm Eastern.

Thanks for the info ~~ Tried to download (5) of a series last night ~~ took forever ~~ had to go 1 atta time 1/2hr apart.

Smokey:

Sue's Kindle 1 will freeze while downloading if the battery is showing less than 1/4th charge. This happens regularly if the battery gets too low. Only fix for hers is a reboot.

Smoky - Did you download the Dickens books from gutenberg.org where they're free ? Also many other classics.

Wendy

Wendy:

I downloaded the Dickens yesterday from Amazon as a free one.  However I used the Australian gutenberg to get most of my A. Merrit books.  If anyone has not read A. Merritt they should do so.  A superb little known Fantasy writer.  My dad introduced me to his writing for Argosy Magazine when I was 13 years old.  As a first reading I highly recommend "Seven Footprints to Satan" or the "The Ship of Ishtar".  I just finished reading his "Dwellers in the Mirage" which was awesome.

"Seven Footprints to Satan" is on Gutenberg as a free book.  Grab it while you can.

Oh, Amazon has fixed the bug.

Smoky

Smoky,  I went over to Project Gutenberg Australian and found the Abraham MERRITT (1884-1943) books listed as Text, ZIP (some) or HTML.  I have not read him but based on your recommendation I would like too.  Which format did you download for your Kindle3?  Did you use Calibre to convert?  I have not downloaded books from Gutenberg so do you need to do anything or just pick your format?

Thanks for your info,
Jennifer

Jennifer:

I have to admit I went though a somewhat convoluted process.  first I downloaded a pdf text converter from http://www.a-pdf.com/

Then I downloaded the "Seven Footprints to Satan" from Gutenberg. Next I converted the pdf to text.  Then I emailed my kindle account with "convert" typed into the email subject.  This generated a kindle format file that was mailed to me.  I then imported it into the kindle via the USB cable.

I did all this because my olde farte eyes enjoy the ability to enlarge the print on the Kindle.  The format is a little odd with strange paragraph breaks, but you get used to it and the larger print is worth it for me.

You can, of course, import the Gutenberg pdf directly into the Kindle but then you are left with tiny letters.

Hope you enjoy the "Seven Footprints".  It is typical early 40s writing style, but it is also an early 40s adventure, so the style fits the story.

You might also look into downloading the "A. Merritt Collection" from Amazon.  I believe it is either free or 99 cents.  It has some wonderful stories in it like the "Dwellers of the Mirage" and the "Moon Pool".    And it is beautifully formatted in the Amazon format.

But be sure to download the "Seven Footprints".

Smoky

Smoky, you could have saved a step by emailing the PDF to your Kindle email account.  Amazon would convert it for you.  If you get it via WiFi, there is no charge.

Smokey,  I guess I am confused.  At http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterM the 3 formates shown were "Text", "ZIP" (some) or "HTML".  Which did you use that was pdf?  If I get a chance I will try to play with downloading this weekend or next week.  If you wanted text, it is listed????

Also check out free "calibre - E-book management" (calibre-ebook.com).  It can convert many formats into Kindle readable.  It will convert the pdf into Kindle friendly so you can enlarge the print without having to toggle right/left to read (Kindle3 can enlarge pdf but it overflows the screen).  It is the nature of pdf to have strange breaks, etc. when converted which we all ignore since I do not know any/many who can read that extremely small print.  ;D

Jennifer

I've used Calibre to convert PDF files to MOBI and PRC but Amazon does a better job of it converting to AZW.  And since it's free and one step, it's actually easier.

Ned:

I read somewhere on Amazon's web site that they did not convert pdf files for free.  I must have mis-read or stumbled on old or incorrect documentation.  I read something to indicate if I wanted a free AZW conversion I had to use either plain text or DOC files.  Nice to know I can send the PDF direct to Amazon and get a free conversion.

Wendy, I elected not to download Calibre because it does WAAAY more than what I need for now and did not want all the overhead.  The program I got does one thing and does it very well and fast and that is convert from PDF to TXT.  It took less than 30 seconds to download and takes only a few seconds to run a full novel.  I like simplicity when I can get it.  Ned's solution is even simpler so I will go that route in the future.

Jennifer, I downloaded the "A-PDF Text Extractor" program from that web site. Apparently it is named for exactly what it does and it ONLY does PDF to text file conversions.  All of this is academic now since Ned has verified Amazon will do a PDF to AZW conversion for free.  I am assuming it will be as readable as what I am getting from A-PDF Text Extractor and that is what I plan to use from now on.

"Seven Footprints to Satan" I could only find in PDF format on Gutenberg.  Strange because I have gotten other formats from them on other books.

I see lots of evidence that these out of print books are hand typed.  Likely someone has original paperbacks like I used to have and laboriously retypes the entire novels into their favorite format.  In fact I was slowly working on a project to re-type "Satan"into MSFT Word.  When we went full time RVing I somehow lost all my A. Merritt paperbacks, some of which were patched together with scotch tape.  I noticed on ebay the other day some of these are for sale in mint condition.  Not a low price way to go however.  I love the color artwork on some of Merritt's books however.

Smoky

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom