Got complaint for my doggy barking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vmax1

Got a note on my door about my dog barking at the campground. Even when we leave the RV for a few hours he will bark inside the RV non stop, never did that when he was at home. Someone told me to put him in a dog crate when you leave him in the RV. Havent tried this yet, any tips would be great. He`s a good doggy just noisey.

I have a tip, leave him at home.  Most parks have rules against leaving your barking dog in the motorhome while your gone.  Your "sweet doggy" barking isn't music to my ears.

Yeah, I think you probably need to spend some time working with him to train him not to bark when you leave too.  The crate would probably be effective if he's used to being crated.  If not it could just be traumatic for him but give it a try.  You might also consider a bark collar.  We used a very humane collar on our Sheltie to help control his barking when we had our stick house.  When he barked, it would release a light citrus mist from the collar.  The theory is that the barking comes from boredom and the citrus mist distracts the dog and stops barking.  We had some sucess with it but it certainly wasn't a cure all.

Good luck...

Rick

First - Don't leave the doggy alone in the RV until (and if) you get the barking under control.

Try leaving the TV or radio on. Try crate training. Try sneaking back and spraying him in the face with water while yelling "Quiet" (this worked on our lab). Try doggy downers. Try a bark collar. Try all these things by leaving and then sneaking back to see if he's barking. You can't scold him if his not doing anything wrong but you can correct him if he's barking.

And if nothing works, then you simply cannot leave him alone in the RV. There is probably nothing more irritating than listening to a dog barking non-stop.

Wendy

Not a chance of sneaking back unnoticed by our furbutt. ;D The neighbor tried the scented collar on their annoying little mutt but it had no effect. Maybe a mild shock collar would change the behavior.
Does the dog get regular exercise and gentle but firm guidance? Or is it spoiled and emotionally dependent on you?

Wendy had great advice...you will definately have to sneak back; you may even have to park away from your rig and walk if he recognizes your car. One other thing, when you leave and when you return don't make a big deal out of it. Try and get him occupied with a chew toy or bone then leave quietly. When you return, ignore him untill he settles down. You might try leaving for short periods first then slowly lengthen the time. This will probably take some time.

The crate might work because the dog can't see out of it.  A friend stated his dog was barking a lot during the day.  So they put a gate at the side of the house at the back of the house.  And there was a gate at the front side of the house.  In other words there is a sidewalk down the side of his house with a gate at the front and the back.  And now his dog could no longer see the folks walking on the sidewald so he no longer barked.

I am not a dog expert.

vmax1 said:
Got a note on my door about my dog barking at the campground. Even when we leave the RV for a few hours he will bark inside the RV non stop, never did that when he was at home. Someone told me to put him in a dog crate when you leave him in the RV. Havent tried this yet, any tips would be great. He`s a good doggy just noisey.
If possible, try parking next to others who have barking dogs, or at least where there's a lot of dogs.

Seems most doggy owners are not as irritated by other barking dogs.

I remember when we parked in  a RV park in Canada, where the guy next to us warned us his dog might bark a lot. We were glad to hear it! That means there will be no complaints if our two doggies bark while we're gone.

If your dog barks a lot at other dogs, sometimes it's a good idea for your dog to meet the other dogs in the area, if possible. They usually only bark at strange dogs when they are in their "territory" such as in or around your parked RV.

Can you tell what your dog is barking at?

It might help to keep the inside of your RV dark. No open windows for them to look out.

But if they are barking at the other little noises from other people walking near by, that could be a problem.

-Don- Reno, NV

DonTom said:
Seems most doggy owners are not as irritated by other barking dogs.
I disagree with that. We have a new puppy and work very hard to train her not to bark at every noise she hears. I don't want to hear the neighbors dog carrying on for hours either.

I suggest the radio left on and turned up to drown out the outside noise for the dog. I have read that classical music is better to soothe the dog than other types, but I can't say weather that is true or not. Whatever you do, just do something to be considerate to other campers that are around you.

I'm a dog owner, and when in Pirateland this past Easter, one of our neighbours left for the day and left their yapper in their trailer all day long and it grinded my gears pretty bad. 

Trade your dog in for a cat. My cat has never barked and annoyed anyone.

Hi,
With our papillon, the solution was to put a muzzle on him EVERY time he barked (when were with him). It offended his dignity and and he changed over to low whines or silence. We have received compliments (at Goshen this year) as to how well behaved he is (lives on the dash when we are gone). We started early, but it might still work.
Good luck,
Ernie

The advice you rec'd is spot on.  We also travel with 5 dogs and can only add we do the same as others have recommended regarding closing the blinds and turning on the radio or tv.  One other tip that hasn't been mentioned is to take your pup for a long walk to tire him/her out before you leave. 

Start your pup's training gradually, beginning as suggested by just being outside while she/he's inside, hang around and listen.  Once your pup has master that, then leave for 30 mins., later extend that time period to an hour.  We don't leave our dogs alone for more than 3 hours, and on the rare occasions we'd exceed that time we hire somebody to come walk them and make sure they're ok.

If you know who left the note go over to visit them, apologize for the disturbance, thank them for bringing this to your attention, explain your pup is in the early stages of training and your goal is for him/her to be a good neighbor. 

I had a problem at the house with our neighbors dog. He would bark at me continuously the entire time that I was in the back yard. If I had a project that took a long time it didn't take long for me to get very irritated with the barking. The dog was however, just doing what he determined was his job.

I bought a bark collar and gave it to them. After a couple of days of use he did not bark anymore and would run to his shelter on their back porch every time he saw me. Never heard him bark again. He finally bit one of the kids on the other side of them and the dog was then gone.

Get a regular bark collar. It only takes a couple of days to solve the problem.

thanks for the good tips, I bought a device from Hammer Schlammer that sends a sound only dogs can hear when they bark. When I got back from a day trip poor Bear had crapped up the motorhome from front to back, what a mess, only thing it did was scare him. Maybe that shock collar is good idea. Someone said get a cat, but when you come back to the RV what do you do with all the shredded furniture and hairballs everywhere?

Dogs are creatures of habit and also social creatures who get stressed when their "pack" is gone.  Barking is how some dogs react to those conditions.  Bark collars and similar devices work by basically punishing the dog for barking and often this works.  But, that doesn't mean the dog isn't still stressed.  A dog crate was meantioned earlier and from my experience, this can be the best solution.  Dogs need a place to feel safe and secure when feeling stressed and can usually be easily trained to a crate.  I know of dogs that sleep in their crates even with the door open.  It's home-sweet-home.  Using a crate at home (stick house) and then moving it to the MH when you go will help the dog feel at home and - big AND - you won't come back to piles of crap throughout the coach.

If the dog is barking continuously because he's stressed and not just because he sees or hears something outside the RV, then the radio/blinds tricks probably won't work. Trying Molaker's advice about the crate, especially using it at home so that "his" house goes with him when you go in the RV. And you might give the bark collar a try - they work on most dogs (some stubborn hairballs don't care). If gives them a zap and you can adjust the strength setting. Just remember with the bark collar that a smart dog knows that there's no zapping when the collar isn't on.

Keep at it. Some dogs take a lot longer to get over barking. And for the sake of your neighbors, dog owners and non-dog owners, DO NOT LEAVE BEAR ALONE IF YOU KNOW HE BARKS. Non-stop barking irritates everyone.

Wendy

Crate training. They need a 'cave,' 'house,' whatever you want to call it. The key for us is that it is NOT punishment. It is a safe place for them. When they are comfortable and secure the barking will be controlled more easily. Also, when you leave, if they poop it is contained. :-*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom