Got complaint for my doggy barking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yfx4 said:
Crate training. They need a 'cave,' 'house,' whatever you want to call it. The key for us is that it is NOT punishment. It is a safe place for them. When they are comfortable and secure the barking will be controlled more easily. Also, when you leave, if they poop it is contained. :-*

I don't understand how a dog pooping in his crate makes it a safe place.  I wonder what the Dog Whisperer would do...

yfx4, dogs very...very rarely "poop" in their crates.  That the beauty of using a crate as a training tool. 
But, if a dog is older, 2-3 years, and has never been in a crate before, that can be a horrific experience for them.  Crates are best used when the dogs are puppies right from the beginning of ownership.  I've trained lots of horses and several dogs.  Our first standard poodle was a barker and it took months (lots) to fix the problem.  Barking is usually related to "separation anxiety".  The secret to quality training is introducing or changing a situation in small increments with positive rewards.

If you want a quick fix to the barking, a muzzle will work.  Just be sure you get one where the dog can open his mouth to pant and to drink water.

If you use a bark collar, put it on, leave for 10 minutes and come right back to remove the bark collar and to reward the dog is he doesn't bark.  If he does bark, wait until the moment he isn't barking and return.  The idea being you only come back if he doesn't bark.  Most dogs learn that pretty quickly.

On our first poodle, the minute we would leave him in the car and head into go shopping, he'd begin barking.  I kept going into the store.  When I came out, if he was barking, I'd turn around and go back into the store.  After a few times, he realized if he barked I turned around and left him.  If he didn't bark, I'd keep walking toward the car.  We did the same method with the crate.  if he was barking, we'd walk away and leave him.  If he didn't bark, we'd come inside. 

It's a long slow process, but does work if you are consistent and firm.

BTW, I also had a horse that had separation anxiety from his herd.  That was a much bigger problem to fix; but I fixed it.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:

Consistent and firm, that's something a lot of parents (present company included) and dog owners often have a hard time to do.

I seem to become slack as my 7 year old behaves properly and after a while he'll start testing us again and we have to get firm again. 

[quote author=Marsha/CA]When I came out, if he was barking, I'd turn around and go back into the store.  After a few times, he realized if he barked I turned around and left him.[/quote]

I wonder if that will work when Chris barks at me  ???

Our dog was a little over a year old when we got her, and was supposedly "crate trained". But, every time Chris would leave the house without the dog, she (the dog) would get really stressed out. I researched, and even talked to a veterinarian friend, about drugs for the "separation anxiety", but came to the conclusion this is not something we want to pursue. Our friend was of the opinion that training is a better way to go.

When we both left the house, we could hear the dog barking. The first time we left her in the crate, she pooped herself, and we now make a point of walking her before we leave. She seems to get a little better as time goes by, probably as she realizes we will will come back.

Nowadays, the dog is far less stressed when Chris leaves alone; She sits on the seat in the bay window, staring into the driveway and the street, patiently awaiting Chris' return.

Looks like we need to try a few other things mentioned here, like a "closed in" crate rather than a wire cage, and leaving some music on.

Marsha/CA said:
I kept going into the store.  When I came out, if he was barking, I'd turn around and go back into the store.  After a few times, he realized if he barked I turned around and left him.  If he didn't bark, I'd keep walking toward the car. 
Marsha~

Sorry Marsha but I've got this visual of you walking out of a WalMart... turning around and walking back in..... walking out again...... turning around and walking back in..... over and over again.  I can see the WalMart greeter thinking you might need help.  ;D

Rick

Tom, It will work on Chris too.  ;D

Don't go out and purchase a closed in crate.  Just put a heavy blanket over the crate to cover the entire thing, or a dark sheet that is breathable if it's warm out.  Put in some piece of clothing that is Chris' i.e. an old shirt, something that has her smell on it.  Then leave music or a radio with voices on.  You can also leave a ticking clock in the crate which emulates a heart beat to the dog, wrap Chris's piece of clothing around it.  Also don't make a big deal of it when you/Chris comes home.  Leave the dog in her crate for a few minutes (5 or so) totally ignoring her.  The let her out and ignore her.  Don't say anything to her don't touch her.  After 10 minutes or so, then make a big deal about her, she won't associate the added attention to when you come home.  Also a lot of people make a big deal about the dog getting into the crate.  Just put her in, shut the door and walk away.  I know it sounds a bit cruel; but if the owners make a big deal out of it, the dog will too.

I'm still working hard on Charlie with his over excitable greeting to people.  He just blocks me out and doesn't listen no matter what I do; so I've gotten harsher.  Now he has to lay down when we greet people and not move.  After 10 minutes he's allowed to get up; but everyone has to ignore him.  He doesn't get any attention, so he looks for his chew toy and goes and lays down.  We're getting there.

Marc, 
I'm a firm believer in boundaries and limitations.  Kids and animals needs to know their limits.  I think this helps them feel secure.  Then as you say, they test you and you as a parent have to decide if they are ready for the limitation/boundaries to be extended.  Of course none of this applys to cats, they have their own set of rules...... :)

Marsha~

Rick, I did look silly; and I did do that very thing over and over.  Sometimes I would hide behind a large pillar in front of the store.  Thank goodness the dog was smart and learned quickly.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Sometimes I would hide behind a large pillar in front of the store.  Thank goodness the dog was smart and learned quickly. Marsha~

You're lucky someone didn't call the cops on the crazy lady :)

Wendy

Marsha/CA said:
yfx4, dogs very...very rarely "poop" in their crates.  That the beauty of using a crate as a training tool. 

BTW, I also had a horse that had separation anxiety from his herd.  That was a much bigger problem to fix; but I fixed it.

Marsha~

I did not say it well. My point was that the crate becomes a safe place. You are right about the messing the crate. We have had dogs for 25 years. only 1 or two times did they mess the crate and they were ill. My point about pooping in the crate was in response to the comment about the mess all over the RV--IF it happened it was in a smaller area. You are right, properly crate trained the dog will rarely mess in the 'cave.' The crate is a training tool and a safe place for the dog--not a punishment.

Marsha, you pass along good advice, thanks.

Does this mean that Chris will cover my crate when she leaves, and ignore me when she gets home  ???

Try a citronella collar.  When the dog barks, it automatically sprays a quick shot of citronella.  It worked on my Mom's dogs.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=citronella+collars&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=18130452833355816794&ei=JlQETdjZJMOenwePyrTmDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCgQ8wIwAQ#ps-sellers

Leave the dog at home. Many RV campgrounds have rules that says, you can not leave your dogs in the RV when you're gone. All you have to do is read them. We've been in  RV Campgrounds that told the dog owners to leave because they could not follow the rules. One in Custer South Dakota and the other in Buckeye Ohio. The number of parks is growing everyday. Many now require an additional charge for the dog. When I rent a site I don't expect the have a barking dog next to me.

[quote author=R1Kirby]Leave the dog at home.[/quote]

That might be difficult for dog owners who are fulltimers or who travel for months at a time. We too prefer not to be camped next to a continually barking dog, and have an appreciation of the needs and expectations of other campers. We've decided that, having recently acquired a dog, we'll need to change how, where and when we RV.

We took doggie on her first RV trip over Thanksgiving, camping somewhere where she wouldn't disturb others. We're fortunate to be able to use our stick home base for training, and to be able to get the benefit of others in this discussion.

Tom said:
We've decided that, having recently acquired a dog, we'll need to change how, where and when we RV.
[

I think Tom will be headed to a Wall Mart Soon

Jack

I think Tom will be headed to a Wall Mart Soon

LOL Jack, I think that Tom Seilerbird has it right.

So how did doggie do?

The travel part was OK George; She's traveled far greater distances in the Suburban when Chris has visited kids and grandkids. As for being left in the coach, I wish I'd had the benefit of some of the suggestions we see here. Overall though, she did pretty good, and didn't bother any other campers.

Tom, As a fulltimes for several years I find you are the exception to the rule and repsonsible. It seems that you have your fellow camper in mind when you RV. Unfortunately there are many who don't think of others, only of themselves.  That is where the problem comes in. If most people would take the time to read the rules of the campground that they are in, they would not have problems. I always read the rules each and everytime. I never expect others to do something that I myself won't do.

This thread reminds me of the TV show "Supernanny" and how she reinforces desirable behavior and uses the timeout place to reinforce that undesirable behavior is not acceptable.

Tom, it's Chris who's trainable - not you!  ;D ;D ::)

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom