Kar Kaddy hitch coupler trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indian Creek

I have a Kar Kaddy 3 tow dolly with surge brakes. Getting hooked up for a trip, I found that after a year and a half of use, the hitch coupler would not drop onto the hitch ball. I removed the hitch coupler assembly, inspected inside and found everthing was in good shape but the ball clamp would not go past the top half of the ball because the plunger and return spring were crowding the ball clamp, not letting it past the ball. I also found that by shimming the plunger assembly, it would not crowd the ball clamp and the coupler would clear the hitch ball and would lock properly. When finally hooked up, there were no problems, but the next time I hooked up, it was the same hassel.
Question: Does anyone know why this is happening? Have I lost a part in the assembly? Is the plunger return spring worn out already? There does not seem to be anything missing by looking at the Demco exploded view of the coupler assy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Dave

Usually it's just in need of lubrication in the coupler mechanism. The floating mechanism hangs up and doesn't fully disengage when you release it, so it catches on the ball when you try to hook up again. I'd spray some penetrating oil into the mechanism and work it several times to loosen any rust or scale. Push the moving parts with your fingers to make them move the full travel.  After it drains out, use a fairly thick oil (e.g SAE 30 weight) or a a light grease on the mechanism and it should be good for another year or two.

Back
Top Bottom