New Ford, Mazda or Toyota ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

Do any of you know which of the smaller Ford, Mazda or Toyota cars can be towed 4 down please ?

And would any of you recommend any of them ?

We were looking at Saturns, but they are expensive compared to the deals on Fords, Mazdas and Toyotas here in Orlando.

Thanks
Paul

Paul,

I suspect that none of them can be towed all 4 down without modification, especially if they have automatic transmission. As we've said before, your best bet is to call Remco with your short list of cars and they can tell you.

Depends on whether you require an automatic transmission or not (resale is much, much easier with an automatic, even if you have no preference yourself). And whether you would spend an extra $1000 or so to install either a lube pump or driveline disconnect from Remco. Quite a few cars are convertible to 4-down towing.

Here is a link to the 2005 Dinghy Towing Guide, which is published by Motohome Magazine annually.  Notice that there are two sections - one for passenger cars and another for Trucks and SUVs. It lists vehicles that can be towed WITHOUT going to Remco for modifications.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/2005/DinghyRatings_p16_25.pdf

No Toyota (including Lexus) product with an automatic is authorized for 4-down towing, but I know of a few people who are towing Lexus SUVs at their own risk, with no problems yet.  They would not have a leg to stand on if there is a transmission problem, though.  The RAV4 SUV manual tranny is officially towable, as are several Toyaota sedans with manual trannys.

Of the Ford automatics, only the Explorer 4WD and F-series 4WD pick-ups are towable without Remco mods (actually, the Explorer needs a minor dealer installed kit too, but I am told it is inexepensive).  With manual tranny, the Focus,  Escape SUV, Ranger pick-up and 2WD Explorers are towable. 

Mazda Tribute (same as Ford Escape) is towable in manual tranny configuration, though Mazda is not listed in the MH dinghy guide.

Several of us here tow Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD's and think highly of them. They are nicely equipped, comfortable, light in weight, and relatively inexpensive. Plenty of room for two people and gear, too.

Thanks for that link Gary.

I had been trying to find that particular list but hadnt managed to get it.

Paul

Paul, when you've bought the car, don't forget to upload a photo of it attached the coach. Meanwhile, I haven't seen any photos of your coach or of you and Marie having a good time in bugfest country.

One caveat on the link that Gary gave you - that's published by Motorhome Magazine and, while I have no reason to doubt its accuracy, you should realize that it's only a guide. As it clearly states in the document:

"While every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in the charts, it is the reader?s responsibility to verify the suitability of any prospective dinghy vehicle before buying or attempting to tow it."

Back
Top Bottom