Flooring, carpet, vinyl, laminate, or????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my original post in this thread, I mentioned that I had ruled out Allure vinyl as an option. My concerns are that the adhesive reportedly "melts" at about 95 deg. (from the Allure website). A closed vehicle in the hot Summer sun can get way over 95 degrees. This leads me to think that Allure is not a good choice in a MH that is used as a camper rather than a permanent home.

However, I've been reading all the praises of RV'ers that have installed Allure and I'm wondering if my concerns are overblown. Is there a problem with the adhesive coming loose when it gets really hot? What other problems might I encounter in a MH/camper.

I'm currently leaning toward commercial carpet tiles/squares.....but it is still carpet and carpet is not easy to clean and we live in Oregon and have to deal with wet and muddy conditions as well as beach sand. Vinyl would be ideal and vinyl that doesn't have to be glued down is even better. Except for the adhesive question, Allure might be ideal for our purposes.

I've read many post expressing concern with the Allure adhesive melting but I've not read a single one from somebody who actually had a problem with it happening.  We used Allure but we full time so I can't comment on the high temp in storage issue.  Personally my guess is that it's overblown but that's just a guess.

Good Luck

Rick

Orick said:
...... but I've not read a single one from somebody who actually had a problem with it happening. 

Rick

Nor have I, Rick and that leaves me wondering if ruling it out might be a mistake. We do store our "camper" at home, and in the Summer months we keep a few windows open. It's not too likely it would ever get that hot, but there is that chance.

After giving it much thought, we purchased Allure in a 12x12 tile pattern ( Sierra). It has lots of oranges and browns, earth tones that should go well with the interior colors in our coach. The ONLY concern we have is the 95 deg. temperature limitation. However, since we store at home, we always keep a few windows open during hot weather, so we're hoping it will not be an issue.

Keep us posted and take lots of pictures.  During the installation the part I liked most about the Allure was that I could cut it using only a good pair of shears.  I also learned that the paper used to seperate each plank of flooring makes a good template for cutting odd pieces and for protecting exposed adhesive surfaces on your working edge.

Good Luck!

Rick

Orick said:
Keep us posted and take lots of pictures.  During the installation the part I liked most about the Allure was that I could cut it using only a good pair of shears.  I also learned that the paper used to seperate each plank of flooring makes a good template for cutting odd pieces and for protecting exposed adhesive surfaces on your working edge.

Good Luck!

Rick

Thanks for the tips, Rick. I'll be posting progress photo's to my other thread http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=37040.new;topicseen#new where all the photo's of the remodel have been posted. The flooring is just one of many things I've been working on to make our coach more to our liking. Still much to do.

I have heard, read and talked to people who use the squares and they all say they are the way to go in an RV. My problem is we have a slide and have told we have to have carpet - that the slide will scratch vinyl or wood.

I also have heard that laminate should be glued down in Rv's because the movement will shake them loose. Let me know how it works not gluing them. I saw a picture of someone that put stonework looking vinyl on their floor but also as a backsplash around their stove and sink. It looked really nice.

rvgrandma said:
I have heard, read and talked to people who use the squares and they all say they are the way to go in an RV. My problem is we have a slide and have told we have to have carpet - that the slide will scratch vinyl or wood.

We sure like the vinyl Allure but ours came in 12"x36" "planks".  As for the slides, I think the issue is that if your coach came with carpet and you want to change it, you also need to change the material covering the "ramp" on the bottom of your slide.  If you have carpet, the ramp is usually a hard plastic or aluminum which slides over your carpet easily.  If your floor is to be any hard surface, the slide ramp is usually covered with a carpet like material which will slide easily over the hard floor surface.

I tried to get by without changing the ramps on my slides when I replaced my carpet with Allure.  I now do have several scratches (and even a pretty deep gouge) in the Allure from the slide ramps dragging across it.  So, on my list of things to do is to get the proper slide ramps installed (probably during next year's trip to the Winnie factory) and then I'll replace the Allure planks which are damaged...... or maybe even replace the whole floor with some of the large vinyl squares which I think probably do look better than the Allure.

Good luck...

Rick

Hi there, Scott is a 30 year master floor layer and this is what he says.  You should look at Stebella lino or fiber floor lino these are pure vinyl floors that were designed to lay loose over existing lino, but can be glued down.  They are cushioned floors so they are warm and soft.  As far as carpet a short shag hides all the dirt and is soft to walk on unlike office or outdoor carpet that looks like it belongs out doors.  You can put underlay under the carpet also except where your slider comes in, (we skipped the underlay there due to slider clearance)  Carpet tiles and vinyl tiles all look tacky just remember that anything in pieces will be a problem in the hot and cold from freezing and thawing during storage and dirt and debris still get under them.  P.S. it came with carpet and lino it's just cheap stuff that the manufacture put in and it looked good for probably 5-10 years. A higher quality flooring will last longer and everyone will see how good it looks no matter how old your unit is.  We have fiber floor in ours and it hides all sorts of sins from the dog and the kids with all their friends.  They have some nice patterns out there, ours has a rustic plank floor pattern.  Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Scott and Shelly
Canada

Jack D said:
I'm getting closer to doing something about the floor covering in our Itasca. At first, I wanted laminate, but the hinged battery cover seems like a problem area. Vinyl would work, but not sure it is what I want. A smooth outdoor carpet may be the perfect answer. That's what was in our last MH and it was relatively easy to sweep. In Oregon, water, fir needles, mud and beach sand is tracked in no matter the season. I've elminated Allure as an option due to temperature limits on that product. The 95 deg.  upper limit is unreal in a vehicle and that is the temperature the glue softens (according to their website).

Has anyone ever tried carpet squares in their MH?

If I use laminate flooring, how do I get around the hinged battery cover problem?

If I decide on outdoor carpet, is there a better or best brand? Should I use a pad?

Any other suggestions?

Each RV is going to require a unique style and flooring choice that is reflexive of the trips it takes.  Each of the floors you offered as options have their advantages, but there are some disadvantages too.  See what each option offers below.

LAMINATE

If you choose laminate though, there are some things to note.  Laminate floors are free-floating, meaning they are clicked together without ever being secured to the subfloor with glue or nails.  As such, the only thing holding them in place are trim pieces (Quarter Round, End Caps, T-Moldings, Reducers, Stair Nosing, etc.).  When you bring this floor of nearly a 1/2" height up to a slideout, a reducer is needed to cap the edge of this surface.  That reducer must cup the top of that floor, increasing the height of that threshold even more.  As such, the height of the floor may in some cases restrict your ability to use laminate under the slideouts in your motorhome.

While there are many options out there in Laminate, there is only one manufacturer who has fully warranted their product in an RV.  How do I know this - because, over the past 34 years, we at Route 66 RV and Pat's RV Carpet and Flooring have been in the trade of remodeling and refurbishing RV carpet and flooring, we have consulted each major manufacturer on the market, from Pergo to Quickstep, Mohawk to Shaw, and only the one brand in Wilsonart Flooring has fully stood behind their product in a motorhome setting. 

The difference in their product is key!  For years, Wilsonart manufacturered the only High Pressure Laminate available, while all other manufacturers utilize direct pressure constructions (like those made by Pergo, Quick Step, Armstrong, Fabrica, Shaw, Mohawk, etc.).  The difference between the two is extraordinary in that both look and feel similar, but when isolated to their construction, they are clearly two very different products.  High pressure laminate by Wilsonart starts with a 17 mil top surface layer - the first line of defense against any spill, dropped item, etc. - and is combined with 7 other layers compressed under intense heat to ultimately equate to 3-5x thicker than typical Direct Pressure or Low Pressure Laminate. The extra thickness of HPL means extra protection for the floor and, ultimately, better performance.  As a result, Wilsonart Laminate is also the only product that now maintains an Impact Warranty for their product, beyond the normal Wear, Stain, Fade, and Water Damage warranty of 20 years to Lifetime, depending on the style.

While we at Route 66 RV have highly recommend High Pressure Laminate by Wilsonart for years, I am afraid Wilsonart just got tired of trying to compete with inferior products that cheapened their brand and undermined the cost of their material, and thus, they closed manufacturing plants in October 2009.  We at Route 66 RV have a limited amount of stock still left of this product, but it?s in very limited quantities.

Switching to a direct pressure option is NOT recommended though.  Ultimately, while direct-pressure laminate products may look similar to High Pressure Laminate and may cost you less from time to time, the amount of pressure they can sustain, either under your slideouts or by way of a spilled item, will ultimately scratch, scuff, or crack your new floor.  As such, I would not recommend them.  And, don't be misled!  Just because someone says a warranty on one of these products is likely the same from a residence to a motorhome, they are definitely NOT one in the same, and beside Wilsonart, we have yet to find another manufacturer willing to stand behind an RV installation.

LUXURY VINYL FLOORING VS. SHEET VINYL

Unlike tile and hardwood which are extremely heavy and susceptible to all kinds of problems in a moving coach traveling from one humidity level to another, Luxury Vinyl Tile won't crack or buckle when installed properly.  This hard surface material is made to expand and contract mildly by comparison to hardwood, and they are much less weight than any other hard surface option.

The styling offered in Luxury Vinyl products comes in both hardwood plank forms or stone-like tiles, and best of all, this low-profile floor gets glued directly to the subfloor.  As a result, you get the look you want in a durable, "softer hard surface" composed with vinyl that is low-profile enough to be installed under any slideout.  If durability is a fear - don't worry about it, as this floor is being installed now in supermarkets, malls, and other high traffic areas due to its ability to stand up to the elements.  Unlike laminate though, which rests above the surface of the floors, the only complex part about luxury vinyl is the floor prep it takes to smooth out your staple-ridden and uneven subfloor before gluing this new floor in place.  The biggest upside to this option is that unlike tile, hardwood, or laminate, this floor can easily be installed under your slideouts without having to alter the height of the slide.

Armstrong, Karndean, and Earthworks are popular Luxury Vinyl product lines, all offered with very durable surfaces.  Outside of the mere fate of Wilsonart, these floors have dominated our customer's selections for the past couple years, and for good reason - they are a bit more cost effective, less weight, and not prone to water damage.  Take a mop to this floor without fear - a prospect you wouldn't consider with laminate.

COMMERCIAL CARPET

Commercial carpet is a great option for RV owners in need of a durable and more stain-resistant, soft surface option.  There are a few things to note though.  First, while most commercial carpets are more durable than residential options, they generally maintain a looped style.  Looped carpets could be a disaster in a motorhome with often moving parts (slideouts, step covers, etc.).  While looped carpets will resist foot traffic and wear, they are stitched continuously, throughout the width of the carpet.  Each loop is connected to the loop to its two sides, and thus, when one loop snags, the snag can run the full length of the carpet.  Next, if loops aren?t a concern, make sure you use a ?solution-dyed? option.  These carpets? fibers are dyed from within, not after the carpet is produced.  As a result, the colors won?t fade and will remain even more stain resistant.  Lastly, while carpet will save you some money over the cost of hard surfaces, don?t skimp on quality!  Tighter loops or denser piles are always going to last longer and prove to pay you back down the line.

Ultimately, there is never going to be a "perfect floor" for every RV, but the right floor for your needs is out there.  Just do your homework and trust the experts.

Thanks Grant for your informative Posts with respect to reflooring RVs.

I have an Excel 35 with 2 large slideouts in the main living area. When these slide outs are fully extended they expose metal strips approximately 2 inches wide in the main floor which runs for the length of each slide. I believe these metal strips support the rollers which roll against the underside of the slideouts. Currently these strips are covered by a flap of slideout carpet. I am interested in replacing the carpet with laminate flooring. Has anyone developed a solution for covering these gaps?

thanks
Jim   

After researching all the options, we decided on Allure vinyl. Allure is not glued down (floatiing). We chose the Tile (12"x12") pattern. The tricky area is the steps and battery hatch. The flooring job is finished now, but we haven't had it on the road yet. Still much to do.

Some photo's attached

More photo's of our remodel: http://www.metalsmithpro.com/Itasca%20remodel.htm

Attachments

• Progress III 12.jpg
    Progress III 12.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Progress III 16.jpg
    Progress III 16.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 111
Ernie Ekberg said:
Jack, I'm intrigued by your entry. Tell us more of the material you used.

I learned about Allure vinyl from this forum. At first I wasn't convinced it was the thing for me, but after lookiing at it at Home Depot, I changed my mind. I'm very happy with it. It looks very nice, is stiff, but flexible, too. It lays flat and doesn't curl. They say it doesn't shrink or expand nearly as much as sheet vinyl. No glue required. There is some discussion of it in this thread on page one. If other threads in this forum are to be believed, there are many other coaches, TT's with Allure in them. And they all seem happy with the ease of installation and finished results.

I learned that Home Depot is the only dealer for this product (according to Lowes). If you have a Home Depot in your area, take a look at it.

I just completed an installation in a Monaco Knight using mannington adura vinyl planks. Very nice product and the owners are very pleased.

Jack what color or pattern of Allure did you use?  Did anyone suggest you also put down a thin coat of vinyl adhesive before the LVT? That is what a local HD guy recommended?

Quick-Step Eligna is a laminate, so would be further down my RV flooring list than vinyl plank or carpet.  Laminate is less desirable where high moisture and a wide temperature range is the norm.  The Eligna is nice-looking stuff, but better suited to stix & brix homes.

We have an '05 HitchHiker 5th wheel that we have updated with MCD dual roller shades and replaced the carpet/linoleum with vinyl floor planks and carpet in the slide.  The vinyl planks are from MSI and were not too hard to install.

Attachments

• IMG_7028.JPG
    IMG_7028.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7029.JPG
    IMG_7029.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Forum statistics